Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tracking down vehicle history

Views : 1996

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2023, 18:41   #1
Relentless

Post Tracking down vehicle history

Has anyone ever had any success finding the history of their vehicle other than old MoTs etc? And if so how?

I’m trying to piece together the ownership path of my 122s from 1963 up to 1991, so far with no success.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Relentless For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 18:52   #2
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
Has anyone ever had any success finding the history of their vehicle other than old MoTs etc? And if so how?

I’m trying to piece together the ownership path of my 122s from 1963 up to 1991, so far with no success.
Maybe, if you feel comfortable doing it, post the reg number to see if anyone on here knows of it!🤔
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 21:36   #3
Relentless

Post Unexplained progress

Somehow by some miracle, I’ve stumbled across a trail for the old girl.

28th December 1962 delivered to Mr Sol Klinberg, Glasgow

30th March 1963 sold for the first time to Mr J Stewart , Tillicoultry

2nd November 1972, transferred to surname Camfield, Ayrshire

15 March, maybe 1973, transferred to Peter Charmers, Linwood

1974 William Birkenhead registration.

December 85, sold to John Gilcrest Hamilton, Glasgow

91 transferred to Sam McCloy cars ltd,Glasgow. Then I’m 1991 registered on the 11,11,1991 for V5c - registration: EVS413

4/4/96 Mrs Reid’s Deidre Joyce Arica, The Close liphook, Hants

23/10/96 arrived into our family.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Relentless For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 21:48   #4
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

91 transferred to Sam McCloy cars ltd,Glasgow. Then I’m 1991 registered on the 11,11,1991 for V5c - registration: EVS413

Yep, that’s a miracle!
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 19:07   #5
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:

Some years ago a £5 postal order to DVLA along with a completed V888 form would provide scanned copies of all documents such as original V55, change of owner V5's, any notifiable alterations, any cherished registration change etc etc. Sadly the GDPR regulations ended all that but you seem to have found most of this anyway.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 03:44   #6
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

I’ve found out a lot just by looking at old registrations and repair receipts that I found in the paperwork handed over when I acquired my cars. I’ve tracked down the previous owners that seemed to have them the longest and (thanks to the Internet Gods) have even called them on the phone! It’s been great to hear some of the stories and history. My first car lived a long and hard life full of conversions and neglect culminating in an under the hood fire that garaged it for eight years until I acquired it. Previous owners heard that it had burned to the ground! It survived that and a subsequent renewal of sorts by my own hand to live on the road again for about seven years until it was crushed by a very large black walnut tree. I was actually able to drive it for a month or so (!) until I was able to I consult everyone I could think of to discuss the feasibility of repairing it. Alas, that was not to be and it was reclaimed by my insurer to what I’m afraid was an “automotive afterlife”.
My second and current car has had a much more pampered life and was owned by a doctor in New Hampshire for last 30 of its 56 years and was basically driven to get ice cream on Sundays and hardly ever on the highway (not really a good thing). It spent its early years down south somewhere (I’m in the States) and then apparently was on blocks in a barn in New England somewhere before “my doctor” bought it. I found it for $100- less than my insurance settlement for my crushed car and drove it home sight unseen from Vermont to home in Connecticut! (A slightly leaky radiator and a lot of corroded fuses were the only slight issues)
Anyway, I guess my point is do some sleuthing and try talking to people. My limited experience was very positive; I spoke to the doc that owned my car for over an hour about all of his adventures with it. That was a load of fun! The guy I bought it from only owned it for a year but even he had stories. Turned out he bought it for his wife but she really wanted a PV so that was that!

Anyway, happy hunting!
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigbunt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 06:34   #7
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbunt View Post
I’ve found out a lot just by looking at old registrations and repair receipts that I found in the paperwork handed over when I acquired my cars. I’ve tracked down the previous owners that seemed to have them the longest and (thanks to the Internet Gods) have even called them on the phone! It’s been great to hear some of the stories and history. My first car lived a long and hard life full of conversions and neglect culminating in an under the hood fire that garaged it for eight years until I acquired it. Previous owners heard that it had burned to the ground! It survived that and a subsequent renewal of sorts by my own hand to live on the road again for about seven years until it was crushed by a very large black walnut tree. I was actually able to drive it for a month or so (!) until I was able to I consult everyone I could think of to discuss the feasibility of repairing it. Alas, that was not to be and it was reclaimed by my insurer to what I’m afraid was an “automotive afterlife”.
My second and current car has had a much more pampered life and was owned by a doctor in New Hampshire for last 30 of its 56 years and was basically driven to get ice cream on Sundays and hardly ever on the highway (not really a good thing). It spent its early years down south somewhere (I’m in the States) and then apparently was on blocks in a barn in New England somewhere before “my doctor” bought it. I found it for $100- less than my insurance settlement for my crushed car and drove it home sight unseen from Vermont to home in Connecticut! (A slightly leaky radiator and a lot of corroded fuses were the only slight issues)
Anyway, I guess my point is do some sleuthing and try talking to people. My limited experience was very positive; I spoke to the doc that owned my car for over an hour about all of his adventures with it. That was a load of fun! The guy I bought it from only owned it for a year but even he had stories. Turned out he bought it for his wife but she really wanted a PV so that was that!

Anyway, happy hunting!
Well done indeed.

I'm delighted to hear that level of research is still possible in the USA - it would be very much more difficult in our nanny state (I'm in the UK).

Old Jun 21st, 2023, 09:12   #8
powen1

Yep still works today :-) - £5 to DVLA and I got info for my p1800 - took them a while to get the info back to me. I now have a list of where it's been over the years. :-)
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powen1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 12:16   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powen1 View Post
Yep still works today :-) - £5 to DVLA and I got info for my p1800 - took them a while to get the info back to me. I now have a list of where it's been over the years. :-)
Gosh! I'm delighted (and surprised) to hear that I'm wrong about that. Is it still form V888 as Cassell suggested above?

Alan

Old Jun 21st, 2023, 12:31   #10
powen1

Yep V888. takes a while but they did respond :-)
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powen1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
history