Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

It never rains but it pours - New Problem

Views : 1195

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 22:24   #1
mikeyskona
Premier Member

Default It never rains but it pours - New Problem

Ok. So a little rough running on occasion and an annoying rattle, which i thought was my wastegate actuator arm again. So, took my heatsheild off again to have a look. Nope. Not the arm, but some escaping air.

Have a looksee at the attached pic. New headache to deal with
How much do you reckon i'm looking for a new one? Not worth welding a patch over? Guessing if that's cracked the internals are gonna be just as bad.

Any ideas are gratefully received
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1925_21-08-10.jpg (197.5 KB, 58 views)

[gone]98 V40 - T4 CD[/gone]
[mine]Renault Laguna II Tractor[/mine]
[theMrs]97 V70 2.5 turbo AWD[/theMrs]
mikeyskona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 22:59   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

i take it that was the turbo ,,,,

depending on what you find when you take it off, you might get away with ally weld if the internals are all ok,,,unf its one of those moments where to fully asses it tis pull it off time.
then cus or phew depending on what you find (or dont find) in there.....
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 23:06   #3
mikeyskona
Premier Member

Yep. I Think you might be right there. It answers a few of my rich running and sometimes iffy running problems i think.. cause there's the air leak.. Car thinks it's getting more air than the engine actually is.... adjusts fuel accordingly... Figues still out, Car thinks WTF?.... All makes much more sense now, lol

Looks like i'll be pulling it out at some time this weekend. Let's just hope the bolts aren't seized lol

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 23:14   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

yes , it stands a very good chance of having quite a bit to do with the "err" fueling.
the leak/hole is well past the maf point, going to throw out any maf determined settings, even those from a non gen maf are going to get fudged one way or the other by said hole.
lambda sensors will be the first place the ecu realises the mix is wrong,adjusts with referance to maf reading,,and depending on temp of engine theres the chance the hole size changes as the casting heats/cools.. i think between said hole + non gen maf they could be both semi responsible for the intermittant iffy running
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 23:14   #5
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Not sure if this might be a solution, different units, but if the casings are the same, I've got one from a '98 2.0T you can have.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 23:20   #6
mikeyskona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishvolvo View Post
Not sure if this might be a solution, different units, but if the casings are the same, I've got one from a '98 2.0T you can have.
Thanks Scottish, but they are different units. The 2.0T is LPT and the T4 is using the 14T turbo, i dont think any of the bits are interchangable.

Thanks anyway .

Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 02:46   #7
Baffler
Premier Member

I'd say that's nothing, but, I'm comparing to the turbo I replaced on my T4. I have no exterior pics, as they're on a different pc, but if you take a look on this thread you'll get my meaning.

A bit of weld over the suspected crack should suffice as a temporary measure. Hopefully you won't need to remove the turbo to do so...

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:03   #8
mikeyskona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
A bit of weld over the suspected crack should suffice as a temporary measure. Hopefully you won't need to remove the turbo to do so...
Thanks Baffler, that's re-assuring to know. I think that's the approach i'll be taking, for the moment anyway until funds allow different, or i decide to give up and just get a better T4.

Ok, that one you took pics of really does look bad!. lol. Mine still seems to be boosting correctly, i wouldn't have even noticed if it wasn't for the annoying rattle (which i thought was the actuator arm but that's tight as hell, so that leaves me with that air leak rattling the heat sheild, or something else in that kinda area).

Times like this I wish i still had my welders :\ No chance of borrowing a mig so i guess i'm gonna have to have a crack with arc (i hate arc!) lol

Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:22   #9
Baffler
Premier Member

The funny thing about it is that one was boosting just as good as the new one I installed

There must be some firm in your surrounding area, pop in on a lunch break, that can throw a weld across that? Be sure to disconnect the battery whilst doing so

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.

Last edited by Baffler; Aug 22nd, 2010 at 03:24.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:36   #10
mikeyskona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
The funny thing about it is that one was boosting just as good as the new one I installed

There must be some firm in your surrounding area, pop in on a lunch break, that can throw a weld across that? Be sure to disconnect the battery whilst doing so
Yep.... I learned that one the first car i welded..... Fried all sorts of electrics cause i forgot to disconnect the battery!.

I think i may just do that baffler. Thanks man .