Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 T5 Gearbox oil help!!

Views : 2157

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 21:52   #1
Bigbird76

Hi there need some help here

I need to refill my gearbox on my (1999 S70 T5 manual) with oil, problem is volvo want £17+vat per litre for oil 2.2 litre needed i think, And the dealer says volvo dont tell them what grade it is either.

Motor factors dont know what grade of oil to supply me with either as it is not listed in any of thier books.

Does anyone know what grade gearbox oil i need to fill the car with please i dont want to pay arm and a leg for this stuff

cheers
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 22:50   #2
pault5

Default RE: S70 T5 Gearbox oil help!!

hi,
i believe its a synthetic 5w 30. i changed mine last year and purchased volvo oil for my gearbox. i know its a rip off, but i wasnt going to take a chance.the volvo gearbox oil smelt like gearbox oil.so i dont think it is the same as an ordinary 5w 30.
paul.
pault5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 15:52   #3
andy1

its a full synthetic 5-30 motor oil ive been using valvoline synpower with no probs the spec was supplied by volvo n. a so should be correct
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 19:21   #4
sholtby
Premier Member

Rather unusual but the gearbox uses a 5w 30 fully synthetic engine oil. However I did the same as Paul and bought the Volvo oil for the reasons he said and because I expect it to be a once only job and I wasnt at the time going to take a chance. I found 2 litres was all I needed till it ran out the filler. I believe Shell Helix does a 5w30 oil. Its a difficult oil grade to find in this country but common in the US. A 5w40 would probably do, but again do you want to take the risk?

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 20:40   #5
Bigbird76

ok got a good idea now cheers guys
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 21:57   #6
RedR

Try ECP. They sell genuine Volvo Coolant, so probably sell the Oil to, and it will probably be a little cheaper.

Regards

Nigel 855R
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 15:02   #7
andy1

hi simon, the info i posted i obtained from volvo north america tech support dept who were very helpfull in contrast to volvo uk(take it to your dealer blah blah)the volvo oil is in fact a perfectly normal standard full sythentic 5-30 which is supplied to volvo at present by texaco, repackaged and flogged on to us mugs at a vastly inflated price! i have used valoline 5-40 synpower now for many thousands of miles with no problems as 5-30 is more difficult to obtain however its a case of yer pays yer money and take yer choice! however your gearbox willl thank you as its a third of the price volvo ask you can afford to change it three times as often!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 18:17   #8
sholtby
Premier Member

It seems we have a fairly conclusive answer to this then. A quality 5w30 or 5w40 synthetic oil is whats required.
I dont think ECP sell the Volvo oil but do sell the coolant for those paranoid about originality.

Simon
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 20:27   #9
RedR

I would also like to say thanx guys!! I went to ECP today to get some gearbox oil, they do sell the Volvo stuff, at £18 per litre!!!!

I'm sure though I did notice a 5w30 Fully Synthetic on the shelf??

This isn't the first time i've heard of engine oil in a gearbox. My old lancia Beta Coupe used castrol GTX...as reccommended!!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 21:13   #10
sholtby
Premier Member

You think a gearbox oil change is expensive on our cars. A friend of mine has a BMW 540 with an auto box. To change the oil in this is over £20 a litre and it needs about 14 litres!! Pity they didnt use Dexron which is about £10 for 5 litres.

simon