Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1996 Volvo 850 T5 estate

Views : 1490

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2017, 11:49   #1
Turbodave
VOC Member

Default 1996 Volvo 850 T5 estate

Volvo 850 T5 Estate
1996 model
Volvo 850 2.3 Turbo GLT
212,500 miles but will increase slowly
Registered in UK 1997 (imported from Germany)
Manual gearbox
MOT to 19th February 2018
Nautic Blue metallic

Upgrades:
Rica 304 ECU
Manual boost controller (18PSi)
Forge chav valve with turbo blanking plate
Ferrita exhaust
Volvo strut brace
302mm front brakes
16” V70 T5 Perfo alloys
-30mm lowering springs
KYB dampers

The basics:
I purchased this car in December having wanted a manual T5 for many years, fuelled by my contempt for my previous R models and their 40 series tyres and desperately obvious paint. This well known car came up and I took it on with a view to replacing my slightly tired V70 T5… however it transpired that was like taking an old family pet to the vet for the last time, thus the V70 remains and the 850 has had very little use over the past few months. I’m now at the stage where life dictates I must move on and thus it’s with regret that I’m offering the car up for sale. However, I’m in no huge rush and to be fair, I’d happily keep it as I know I’ll never get another like this, however I digress.
I have the keys, the V5c is in my name and the car is ready to go and can be driven away immediately.

The exterior:
The car is standard externally aside for the recently refurbished 16” Perfo alloys which have 205/50/16 matching Rainsport tyres all of which are legal but nearing the wear bands. I have opted not to replace for the sale as tyres are a personal choice and this is reflected in the price – I’d fit all seasons, you may fit cut slicks. The car is missing the headlight wipers and the fog lights (still trying to source!) and the trim from the top of the windscreen is missing but this is purely cosmetic, again trying to source a replacement as we speak.

It’s a 21 year old Volvo 850 and therefore has the wear and tear expected with a car of this age. When purchased, the wings were shot but I sourced a replacement pair in the correct colour – the OSF is a new part and immaculate, the NSF is on original Volvo part and has started to bubble. The front bumper and bonnet are stone chipped, happens when you chase German metal for many years. There are several very minor car park dints on the doors, a small scratch on the rear arch and a little scuff on the OSR bumper corner. The tailgate has a small bubble of rust emerging from under the handle. The car has been recently machine polished and is very presentable for its age – it passes the 10 paces test but please do not expect to wins any concours competitions any time soon.

The interior:
Very little to say here – it’s all standard GLT spec with half leather and is in superb condition for its age. The driver’s bolster shows no signs of collapse, just very slight wear. The standard tape deck remains so time to dig out that dusty collection from the attic, there are four Volvo mats, almost everything works aside for the drivers mirrors adjustment but I have a spare to fit and the air con is pretty useless though to be fair in Scotland, we tend to wind down the window, open the sunroof or remove one of our twenty six woollen jumpers.
Boot is tidy and hasn’t been used to transport wet dogs and thus the car smells fine, no smokers and no burst colostomy bags.

The mechanicals:
The previous keeper was fastidious in his approach and thus there is a an A4 box folder full of receipts for everything from rear brakes to carbon cleaning, to service kits and tyres and everything in between. There is no service history as such, no stamped service book to speak off but the engine has been well maintained and is very strong with no rattles, no smoke and no concerns. Since purchasing I have replaced every vacuum hose, replaced the filters and the plugs (genuine Volvo) and generally fettled to ensure it’s all good. The lambda light is on, some idiot started the car with the throttle position sensor disconnected and as yet, it’s refusing to bugger off. It doesn’t affect the drive in any way and I am trying to get hold of Vida to reset. The car has been mapped and currently runs at 18Psi, what this equates to in terms of BHP I don’t know but it is a quick car and needs to be ‘driven’ when pressing on yet cruises easily at 70mph.

Aside for that, turbo is good, cooling system is good and clear, PCV system is recent, breathers are all new, HT system is recent, battery is good and the exhaust is also recent and Ferrita in flavour – nice low down 5 cylinder rumble and sounds like Walter Rohle on a mission on boost. Chassis wise there are no glaring issues however I would stress that this is a 212,000 Volvo and thus it’s no Lotus Elise. It was extensively checked at the MOT and whilst there are no worn components, I believe it would benefit from fresh / poly bushes to help tighten it up. The brakes are all good, handbrake holds very well but it will benefit from front discs and pads in the next few thousand miles. The brakes are strong and easily cope with the power. The gearbox is very tight with minimal slop in the gear shift, the clutch bites well (hydraulic pipe recently replaced) and there’s no evidence of slip and nor is there any bearing noise or rumble from the drivetrain at speed. I have recently replaced the track rod ends and had four wheel alignment carried out.

The finer details:
The car is a very good example of what is becoming an increasingly rare and desirable car and having owned 12 T5’s previously, I would gladly say this is one of the better ones however as with all cars of this age, it will need care and attention. The car could easily be used as a quick, presentable daily driver or with a little TLC, could become an extremely good example to tuck away or roll out for high days and holidays… which, I must admit I am tempted to do if it doesn’t sell. On the subject of selling, I feel I have been honest in the description and I would be happy to discuss the car in depth, provide images and allow any genuine buyers to have a look, take a drive and discuss further over a cup of tea and a biscuit. The car is ready to go today and is currently taxed and insured.

A couple of things I feel any perspective buyer should know, this first being location – I am near Dunfermline, in Fife which is on the main east coast line, is 20mins from Edinburgh airport and has good road links to the north and the south. I’m happy to meet / collect potential buyers from Edinburgh but please be advised, if you are travelling, I’m not prepared to stand in the car part haggling. Just because you’ve traveled from Kent, doesn’t mean to say I’ll take a silly offer – I’m more than happy to discuss in advance but I won’t tolerate silly offers, 2 million questions asking me things like what pressure the washer jets are or are the sidelight bulbs genuine Volvo parts and I won’t tolerate test pilots or anybody who wants to smoke the tyres through first, second and third on the test drive. Common courtesy please!

My asking price is £1750.00 and yes, perhaps arguably the higher end of the scale for a T5 but as said, I’m happy to discuss in person but I’m not interested in “best price for cash” or “what’s my lowest”. Wannabe Mike Brewers need not apply please.

Many Thanks

Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 18:28   #2
Richard_TD
Master Member

It's not VIDA you need to reset the light, it's VOL-FCR. I can do it for you if you want.

I know the odometer works on this car because I fixed it (and got quite a lot of beer in return) when the PO's garage didn't fancy doing the job. I replaced the instrument and trip computer bulbs at the same time, I'd hope they are still working.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 08:58   #3
Turbodave
VOC Member

Hi Richard,

That'd be good if you could - there's no adverse running issues and the light was out up to the point where I had the inlet off to replace the vacuums, then came on when I forget to plug the TPS in. Seemingly a "long" run would also let the ECU relearn and clear the light but not quite sure how long a long run it would take. Had it along the M8 to Whitburn and nope, still here so yes that'd be grand if you could clear it... happy to assist in restocking the beer fridge!

Everything else dash wish is fine, all lights work and the odometer is fine so that's all good. I did have it apart a few weeks back as it now has an aftermarket boost gauge so I could accurately set up the boost levels given the standard one is about as accurate as Stevie Wonder with a shotgun.

Still not 100% that selling it is a good move but need to think of the bigger picture and as brilliantly hilarious and dependable as it is, it's not the most suitable car for carrying around a new born so one must embrace middle aged responsibilities and move on something a little newer and more refined.

Anyways, I digress... will drop you a PM shortly.

Cheers.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 15:50   #4
aquabee

Very nice Dave,very nice indeed!
aquabee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aquabee For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 16:13   #5
Turbodave
VOC Member

Thanks.

Also in the process of selling my old Cavalier too so the thought of having nothing from the 90's on the fleet is proving hard to accept. Thankfully I have several pairs of Nike Air Max and a decent 'Tom Wilson's Steppin Out' collection (tapes, recorded from the radio!) to keep the 90's thing going a bit longer.

That said, have the 850 in to work today and it's superb for blowing away my early morning, pre-coffee crabbitness and also blowing away well groomed types in resale white BMW 1 series...

Old Mar 11th, 2017, 10:08   #6
Turbodave
VOC Member

Just to update this:

As noted in the original text, I would be happy to discuss the value with genuine parties... appreciate it's towards the top end of T5 values but I think it's reflected in the general condition / spec but as said, happy to discuss.

Also looking to replace it with something a bit newer, ideally an 04 onwards V70 T5 with reasonable spec but that's very niche but would also consider others but must be Volvo, must be an estate, must be 04 onwards (for a V70) and petrol and nothing modified or neglected.

Would be happy to add cash for the right car.

Thanks
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 15:27   #7
Turbodave
VOC Member

Disappointingly low interest thus far, annoying as there's a V70 just popped up which appeals but I'm reluctant to commit to another car until this goes.

So, will lower ones expectations and open to sensible offers.

Thanks
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 15:32   #8
T5Sweep
Master Member

Fancy a swap for a saloon?!
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 15:54   #9
Turbodave
VOC Member

No thanks sir, need to move on and up.

Also advertised here:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C845867

£1495.00

Old Mar 12th, 2017, 16:41   #10
Stu B
Master Member

Looks great, Dave - sensible modifications, well looked after and the best colour (same as mine!). I'd be interested except I already have one very similar which I remember consulting you on (via email) when purchasing last summer.

Good luck with the sale
Stu B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stu B For This Useful Post: