Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Facelifted C30 (T5 R-Design) questions from a newbie

Views : 1606

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2018, 13:35   #1
Markos01

Default Facelifted C30 (T5 R-Design) questions from a newbie

Hi all

Just researching these as much as I can and so far from what I can tell the R-Design C30s looks great but seem to have a relatively low-spec as standard, which I find a bit odd. An ideal spec would be nav, BT, sunroof and heated seats with the manual gearbox but that looks to be a real task to find. And I like the external look of the R-Design too much to forego that.

So my first question: is the nav actually worth having? On previous cars I never used the built in nav but the screen is useful for providing information, song details etc: is this the same for a facelifted C30? And do all have ports to connect phones/iPods or can they stream via BT? Anything else I'm missing or that's good to know about or have?

What's the deal with the boot cover? Some seem to have a sculpted cover with an opening, others seem to have a simple, sprung cover by the looks of it. One looks better than the other but the other looks more practical...

And the last question, are they all on yearly service plans? Many new cars are happy with 15k miles or 24 months, so just thought I'd check with these.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Markos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 15:32   #2
FunkyMelon
Master Member

I wouldn't worry too much about a few of those extras.

Bluetooth, nice to have but pretty primitive UI through the system, better off with a FM transmitter to be honest.

Sat nav - Forget it, on the long list of car integrated sat navs, the Volvo one is truly awful! They were late to game and rushed it, it's crap. You're better off using your phone with Google maps/Waze/whatever.

They're not yearly service plans, though if you've got a T5 and want to look after it, I'd do the oil and filter every year at least.

If extras are your concern, get heated seats and make sure you get one with the high performance sound system, that's something Volvo did do right! Xenons are very good too, face lift car headlights are better than pre face lift models but are still pretty poor, after market xenons are straight plug and play into these headlamps though ( just a quick swap prior to MOT ).
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 16:29   #3
kmb

Having bought a C30 T5 R-Design 4 months back I also struggled to get the spec I wanted due to low choice on the market, I did manage to get one with only Sat Nav missing, having now seen a few Sat Nav Volvo systems I'm quite relieved I didn't hold out for this...

Mine has Rain sensing wipers, auto headlights, Cruise, Bluetooth/Aux/USB, autodim rear view, electric folding mirrors, electric drivers memory seat, heated front seats, cornering xenons (which I find excellent), High Performance Sound system which is also amazing, keyless entry, plus some other stuff... But I'm not sure what was an option and what was standard

Here's my one https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283210

I think I read that the Bluetooth can be used for music streaming from 2012 models onwards, mine doesn't stream on a 2010.

I have a hard and a soft boot cover (also a full set of spare wheels/tyres and roof bars) but have only been using the hard load cover with the flip up hatch. The soft cover seemed to require some faffing around.

Last edited by kmb; Aug 14th, 2018 at 16:35.
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 16:33   #4
foneman
foneman

I agree with some of the previous post but I would say the Bluetooth is worth having.
I have a C30 R-Design not a T5 though a D3 but the later face lifted models 2012 have Bluetooth streaming which is well worth having as you can then for go the Sat Nav and use Google maps and audio through the sound system.
As for the Bi-xenon lights I have them,there ok nothing magic though makes me wonder how bad the halogen candles must be.
I would agree on the sound system sadly I only have the basic set up and well frankly it's not great and I believe it's non upgrade-able so try to get the better system.
The better spec R-Design is the Lux,I think as a manual T-5 you might wait a long time to find such a car never mind one that's not worn out.
It seems a lot of R-Designs have the base spec bit like the Ford Zetec equivalent.On the less sporty SE it tended to have the folk who spend money on the extras.
foneman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foneman For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 17:41   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

pretty difficult to find the spec you want on these, they should all have in phone bluetooth? but make sure you get the one with the premium speakers and also ensure it has an aux and usb port. These are really handy.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 17:57   #6
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
pretty difficult to find the spec you want on these, they should all have in phone bluetooth? but make sure you get the one with the premium speakers and also ensure it has an aux and usb port. These are really handy.
It's not taken me too long to realise what I want will mean a long wait or a bit of a compromise I think!

About the premium speakers: can you visually see whether a car has the better hifi, such as extra speakers or different speaker grilles? Would be good to see in any ads on Autotrader whether a car has the better sound or not, as sometimes sellers don't spec the car fully...
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 18:24   #7
Parisien

Considering getting a C30 towards end of year for the better half, can anyone detail the facelift differences and date from which they took effect?

P
Parisien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 18:39   #8
kmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
It's not taken me too long to realise what I want will mean a long wait or a bit of a compromise I think!

About the premium speakers: can you visually see whether a car has the better hifi, such as extra speakers or different speaker grilles? Would be good to see in any ads on Autotrader whether a car has the better sound or not, as sometimes sellers don't spec the car fully...
When you switch on the stereo it will flash up with 'High Performance Stereo', which helps tell you what's fitted

I can't sell mine yet, need to get some usage lol
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 17:53   #9
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by foneman View Post
I agree with some of the previous post but I would say the Bluetooth is worth having.
I have a C30 R-Design not a T5 though a D3 but the later face lifted models 2012 have Bluetooth streaming which is well worth having as you can then for go the Sat Nav and use Google maps and audio through the sound system.
As for the Bi-xenon lights I have them,there ok nothing magic though makes me wonder how bad the halogen candles must be.
I would agree on the sound system sadly I only have the basic set up and well frankly it's not great and I believe it's non upgrade-able so try to get the better system.
The better spec R-Design is the Lux,I think as a manual T-5 you might wait a long time to find such a car never mind one that's not worn out.
It seems a lot of R-Designs have the base spec bit like the Ford Zetec equivalent.On the less sporty SE it tended to have the folk who spend money on the extras.
Thanks foneman, useful info. Not sure what 2012 T5s go for, and have been thinking a 2008-2010 but will keep my eyes peeled for anything newer as BT streaming would be a 'nice to have'. Amazing how Volvo seem to have got the lights wrong on these bearing in mind their 'safety' heritage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about a few of those extras.

Bluetooth, nice to have but pretty primitive UI through the system, better off with a FM transmitter to be honest.

Sat nav - Forget it, on the long list of car integrated sat navs, the Volvo one is truly awful! They were late to game and rushed it, it's crap. You're better off using your phone with Google maps/Waze/whatever.

They're not yearly service plans, though if you've got a T5 and want to look after it, I'd do the oil and filter every year at least.

If extras are your concern, get heated seats and make sure you get one with the high performance sound system, that's something Volvo did do right! Xenons are very good too, face lift car headlights are better than pre face lift models but are still pretty poor, after market xenons are straight plug and play into these headlamps though ( just a quick swap prior to MOT ).
Thanks FunkyMelon, you've confirmed what I was wondering about the nav in them and that's good to know about swapping the xenons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb View Post
Having bought a C30 T5 R-Design 4 months back I also struggled to get the spec I wanted due to low choice on the market, I did manage to get one with only Sat Nav missing, having now seen a few Sat Nav Volvo systems I'm quite relieved I didn't hold out for this...

Mine has Rain sensing wipers, auto headlights, Cruise, Bluetooth/Aux/USB, autodim rear view, electric folding mirrors, electric drivers memory seat, heated front seats, cornering xenons (which I find excellent), High Performance Sound system which is also amazing, keyless entry, plus some other stuff... But I'm not sure what was an option and what was standard

Here's my one https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283210

I think I read that the Bluetooth can be used for music streaming from 2012 models onwards, mine doesn't stream on a 2010.

I have a hard and a soft boot cover (also a full set of spare wheels/tyres and roof bars) but have only been using the hard load cover with the flip up hatch. The soft cover seemed to require some faffing around.
kmb I love your car, these look great in white and you have the best spec one I've seen yet! I'll be along this evening with a deposit!
The Following User Says Thank You to Markos01 For This Useful Post:

Tags
c30 t5, manual gearbox, r-design, wanted