Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Corrosion on Wheels (winter) Less than 1 Year Old

Views : 73802

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 12:23   #1
mollusk
VOC Member

Default Corrosion on Wheels (winter) Less than 1 Year Old

Mollusk is grumpy, well more than usual!

When we bought the wife's 2012 XC70 we also bought a set of winter wheels and tyres (from the "approved" accessory list). I had intended to source a set of steels and fit my choice of tyres - but 16" Cecinos were available with my preferred tyres (Conti XContact 4x4) and at a good price.

The winter set has now done two winters, approx 9-10 months in total and about 5000 mls. I am verrrry pleased with the performance - but the wheels! Volvo have still got issues with corrosion - albeit on the inner faces.

After each winter the wheels were fully cleaned and waxed before putting into storage. Having unearthed them yesterday ready for fitting I was irked to find patches of corrosion and flaking coating on each wheel. (no sign when wheels were put away). It would seem that moisture had penetrated the coating and has been quietly festering away all summer.

A sample of what was found!

I have informed my dealer, and e-mailed pics, and they can see the wheels on Thursday when a second annual/on call renewal has been booked.

In the meantime I have contacted Volvo car UK "customer relations" - they really have no customer empathy whatsoever. Basically the whole response was much of a "so, what do you want us to do", "go back to your dealer", not prepared to comment at all.
No suggestion that such corrosion might indicate a problem on wheels with a service life of less than a year!
Yes, I know they've not yet seen the wheels etc. but there is a way of dealing with customers that does not suggest that they don't believe a word you're saying! To me it seems that customer relations are only there to fend people off, to ensure that VCUK are not distracted by inconvenient end users.

I worked for Volvo Concessionaires/VCUK from the mid seventies until 1993 and there was a real understanding that the customer paid our wages! - how very different things are now.

Mollusk.
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mollusk For This Useful Post: