Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Jacking points on xc70

Views : 2838

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2015, 10:52   #1
TTR

Default Jacking points on xc70

Morning all,

I want to jack my car up completely off the floor, I know the jack points are located on the cills but can I use my 3 tonne trolley jack anywhere and then locate wooden blocks anywhere underneath to take the load.

I want the car in the air for a week or so whilst I sort wheels and brakes out, manual only states the cills as lift points surely there are other areas under the chassis?

All help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance from a confused new owner
TTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 14:27   #2
green van man
Premier Member

I use a trolly jack on the sub frame mounting points and would also support there with wood blocks or axil stands. Other option would be the outer ends of the suspension arms as they take the cars weight anyway. Jack and remove one wheel at a time and support under the arm.
Unless running a 4x2 the whole length of the sill I would avoid them for the purpose of lifting the car clear of the ground.
It is a big heavy car and while it is designed to do so my bum twiches when the car is raised on the supplied jack, I regarg it as emergency use only.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 18:46   #3
TTR

Cheers green van man,

It's a great forum when you get replies.

I've been struggling today so started on cleaning interior and sorting sticking boot lock out on my XC 70.

Valets not as good as sean94 but it's ok.

Next job is car in the air, brakes out and calipers painted plus tyres of fwheels to start the rub down process before resprayed.

Will use trolley to lift each corner and get stable then axle stands under plus wooden blocks, I like to feel safe if I'm under.

May well put a coat of waxoyl on as well if I get time.

Thanks again.

Cheers all.
TTR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TTR For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 15:44   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but

I hope to be servicing the brakes on our daughter’s XC70 during the better weather. Just check, clean, replace pads if required and lubricate, nothing major.
I prefer to use a trolley jack in the middle of the front or rear as required to raise the car then place axle stands under the jacking points with a suitable piece of wood between the head of the axle stand and the jacking point. I’ve used this method on most of my cars and it has served me well.
The Volvo manual, page 260, advises “position the jack against the front edge of the engine’s subframe”. Is that the cross member immediately in front of the engine undertray? I ask this because Haynes advises not to use any part of the subframe.
I have not been able to find any reference to using a trolley jack at the rear but I see that there is what appears to be a substantial cross member in front of the rear axle and have seen this being used in the YouTube video regarding servicing the Haldex unit.
Opinions please as to whether it is considered safe to use these cross members and whether any damage will be done.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 17:21   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Jacking off the cross members.
I preffer not to. Many years ago I helped a mate out in his tyre shop, cavaliers of that era I think it was had a large tubular cross member across the back of the car. Jacking off that lifted the car certainly, it also however bent the crossmember and buggered the wheel geometry of the back wheels which ment tyres did not last long and an expencive repair was required to sort things out.
Other than a beam axil I will only jack off known load points on the suspension or an attachment point. If it's designed to carry the load of the car it will be strong enough to Jack it on. An engine frame /cradle is not in my view strong enough to use unless at its attachment points to the chassis/bodywork.

A length of 4x4 along the sills will spread the load and lift one side of the car, however plastic over riders and covers make this difficult.

I go for suspension arms as close to either their inner or outer extremities as I can or where the cradle attaches to the car. Have jacked there with no ill effects for a number of years.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 18:07   #6
Ian21401
Premier Member

Thanks Paul. I was concerned about exactly what you described. I’ll have look at some other options before scheduling the job so that I don’t spend half a day just getting the beast raised.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote