Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800ES Rear Upper Inner Panel 682818

Views : 2084

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2019, 11:23   #21
Army
marches on his stomach

Asking for measurements is a good step to help make choices as you say - however - there is a big danger in just using measurements.

In my experience it is much better to view measurements / guides as just that - guides - approximations. For your situation I recommend fitting the rear flap and adjusting the lines / gaps with what you've got as though the lower piece is there. You want the hole to look correct - that relies on the gaps looking right. Use tape and cardboard if necessary to set up a new set of marks...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 16:33   #22
Derek UK
VOC Member

I would be tempted to ask if anyone has, or knows of, a body shell that can have the back end chopped off it to help you out. You might strike lucky.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 09:24   #23
harpgirl

Fitting either rear panel is now on hold.
I need to address inner rear wheelarches and access is better with the back off. Unfortunately in order to sort the wheelarches I need to have the wheelarch on the wing in place (previous owner cut it out). In order to get that in place I have to attend to where they left sills so the lower front repair panel can also go in. I have a bit of a chicken and egg scenario going on here so am standing back and trying to work out the best order of service prior to diving back in. As I have said to people before, this motor is one bad repair away from the crusher so I have to be measured in my approach.
I may start a different thread on another quandary I have. I think I'll call it sit or spit.
At least I can use the engine rebuild for therapy. Cleaned the oil galley/gallery and honed the bores yesterday. Out with the assembly lube next week.
Ended up using a top tip from Rob @ Amazon cars for getting out the gallery plug. Hole in a plate, weld to end of plug. It wasnt going to come out without the end chewing up so I asked for advice.
Never too proud to say 'I don't know' and I believe you can always ignore or choose between conflicting advice but if you don't know then you are a fool if you don't at least ask the questions.
Have a lovely weekend everyone, sun's out.
harpgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 15:02   #24
cassell
Member since 1988

Now the sun's out fairly often I'll try and get around to taking those photos of the interior rear end panelwork on my ES for you Ian. I just need to gently uncover and wake the old girl from her winter slumber!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:45   #25
harpgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Now the sun's out fairly often I'll try and get around to taking those photos of the interior rear end panelwork on my ES for you Ian. I just need to gently uncover and wake the old girl from her winter slumber!
There appears to be a new ES owner showing up on one of the Facebook groups who is based between Chester and Wrexham.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:46   #26
harpgirl

There is also one apparently near Ellesmere. The paint shop near my workshop are having it in soon.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:48   #27
harpgirl

Looks like I'll have to use the envy and channel it into productive work.
Nearly at my 30 so I can send Paul a PM.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:51   #28
harpgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Have you ever heard of a tipping die / wheel?
Seriously considering swager. In the long run I can be much more productive with some of these tools.
Thank you for opening my eyes to some of the possibilities.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:02   #29
Derek UK
VOC Member

A shrinker/stretcher pair can be very useful but are expensive. They can be the quickest and easiest ways of shaping some parts so value is relative to your needs. You can get one unit and a pair of jaws but having to keep on changing the jaws over will quickly get annoying. Check YouTube for how-tos.
You can always sell them after you're done with this resto if you know you are never going to do it again!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 13:38   #30
harpgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
A shrinker/stretcher pair can be very useful but are expensive. They can be the quickest and easiest ways of shaping some parts so value is relative to your needs. You can get one unit and a pair of jaws but having to keep on changing the jaws over will quickly get annoying. Check YouTube for how-tos.
You can always sell them after you're done with this resto if you know you are never going to do it again!
I did buy the single unit, also a junior wheeling machine.

Made one bit that was previously fighting me for a long while in just 5 minutes. If I decide I don't need them at the end it will be cheaper than having had someone make bits for me.
Not quite got organised yet. I find the demos by the Eastwood people easy to watch. As with everything there is a lot of information about but you do have to filter it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190207_165722.jpg (181.0 KB, 15 views)