Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon convertable

Views : 1753

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2013, 00:20   #1
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Lightbulb Amazon convertable

just found this listing what do you guys reckon it looks lost you know its an amazon but some of the styling just seems out of key like but i have in my garage a project which i was going to go down this route with me and my old man was having a joke around and said yeah lets do one soon lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1968-Volvo...d=557512028739

what are your thoughts on it , i hope if its a forum members its all ment in a nice way like until someone does a project like this you never know how it will turn out ..........

kind regards

robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 00:30   #2
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Totally wrong and disproportionate, so a lot of the styling work done doesn't make any sense to me? One of the first offenses I can see is the lack of rolling down of the rear package tray area to give is sloping affect to match the trunk.

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 00:47   #3
222s
Amazoniste

My initial thoughts were that it was this car but with the roof chopped off (again!), however having since found the pics, I'm not so convinced now.

Btw, for any potential buyers, it is worth checking whether this car is properly registered on the V5 (or whatever it's now called) as a convertible, since if not then it will need a BIVA test (& also a Q plate) before it can be correctly registered...

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 00:50   #4
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

i have to agree with you there it just seems so outta key its painful but it could have ( could be reverted ) been a nice project if it had been thought through a bit more i think the guy has a passion for hotrods hence going off in that direction pity really but must have spent ages on the car so hope it gets corrected or finished off some how with a new owner i have nothing todo with that car i just found it and thought it would be a good topic to talk about in general

kind regards

robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 00:54   #5
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

I do think a convertible can be done, and with the supplied picture here, it is obvious that it would have looked much more natural if the top of the body work started rolling down to match the quarters right after the doors.. By doing that, you will take the hunchback look of the rear out of it, and then have a more natural and uninterrupted profile, but you would still have to ignore some of the other customizations on this one..

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 01:02   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I remember this car well as it took the VEC wooden spoon prize in the late 90's we used to win that one most of the time with the 240 pick up.

Back then it was pink with purple scallops, from memory the owner at the time was a guy called R Spitz or something like that. There will probably be photos in the VEC magazine if anyone wants to have a search through. The worst part for me was the way the A pillars were very crudely cut an capped with flat plate.

The interior has been changed since then but most of the car does look as I remember it.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 01:14   #7
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Default convertable images

there is more images on ebay url i provided but incase it ends and they are missing later on i will archive them on site here for all to see what was showing at the point of auction listing ...

kind regards

robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amoconv1.JPG (30.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg amoconv2.JPG (29.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg amoconv3.JPG (19.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg amoconv4.JPG (28.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg amoconv5.JPG (32.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg amoconv6.JPG (31.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg amoconv7.JPG (14.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg amoconv8.JPG (26.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg amoconv9.JPG (34.3 KB, 15 views)

Old Dec 8th, 2013, 09:27   #8
tdz840
VOC Member

Looks a mish mash of parts. What with the lines, lights, seats, front screen, wheels, grill it all appears a bit of an afterthought rather than a plan from the start
Plus no weather protection including what appears no side windows
I've seen a Amazon convertible, recall it was a Belgium guy that produced it.
However, I only know two Belguims and Hercule Poroit and Eddie Merckx wasn't this guy
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 10:08   #9
beario

Lol...this is my mates car,when he bought the car the roof chop was so bad it was bordering dangerous,when the roof was cut of the pillars etc had been filled with expanding foam and the roof was virtually tacked together...the decision was to chop it and make convertible....but looking back through history it seems it was a convertible back in the early 90s...so non of it was planned or an after thought,more of making it better than it was...
beario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beario For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 13:57   #10
Colonel Froth

The rod/sled/salt flat cues might have worked with the chopped top but they don't really go with the soft top. The cut screen makes the body look too thick, and even though the springs are cut it looks too high. I personally don't think the buck-teeth and hub caps are doing it any favours. It looks like an awkward teen, physically wrong proportions and it's wearing Metal T-shirts and eye-liner. If it took a shower and got a hair cut it might be popular though
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel Froth For This Useful Post: