Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2011 V50 D4 with Slipping Clutch

Views : 1033

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2017, 14:16   #1
burns2k

Default 2011 V50 D4 with Slipping Clutch

Hi,

We are having issue with our V50, bought used approved with 60000 miles on the clock in November. The clutch is splipping in 3rd and 4th gear around 2000 RPM. I've done some googling and from what I can find this is not unheard of and is related to a technical journal, TJ28248.

We are trying to get this fixed under warranty, but the dealer will not guarantee that it is covered by the TJ and therefore the warranty, until the gearbox is off. Removing and refitting the gear box will cost about £700 which we will be liable for if they decide it is not covered by the warranty.

What I'm trying to find out is some more detail about TJ28248. Does anyone know what the exact fault it describes is and what cars it affects? The dealer are being cagey about it. From what I understand there were some weak pressure plates, but I'm not sure how the dealer will know if that is the issue from inspecting the car. I am concerned that the slipping clutch could have caused premature wear to the friction plate, which could make it look like the issue lies with the friction material, not the pressure plate.

If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it greatly.
burns2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 17:21   #2
iainmd

I don't have any detail on the journal but I would advise calling Volvo Selekt warranty yourself if that's the warranty is covered with. I've made 2 Selekt claims before and each time the dealer has had no idea about Volvo's own used car warranty.

Both times Selekt paid out with no quibble.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 18:24   #3
Bloders2

i wouldnt bother with the warranty.
probably, its not covered - and if it is i would not expect them to cover it 100% as they can if they wish argue it is 50% worn (say) and therefore it is only 50% covered by warranty. If it is simply worn you wont be covered and liable for all the cost.
much easier, and most likely cheaper to justget the clutch changed at a decent, competant garage. The whols job should be done for 700 or less.
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 21:19   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

As has been suggested I would call the Selekt customer services. You may be able to agree what the cost of either outcome will be - I.e. Worn clutch or faulty clutch. The phone call will cost nothing.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 11:36   #5
burns2k

The warranty company took the car out for a test drive and couldn't reproduce the issue, so the dealer have returned the car to us with no work done. Our next course of action is going to be making a video showing the issue and sending it to the warranty company and dealer.

It's infuriating, the dealer confirmed they had reproduced the issue, so why did they let the warranty company leave it at that?!
Old May 26th, 2017, 12:15   #6
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

I had the same issue with my D3 luckily happened a couple of days after I brought it from the garage, strangely didn't do it on the test drive, but the day after I got it heavy acceleration in 3rd or 4th gear it was slipping from about 2500 rpm upwards.

The garage were brilliant took the car in the next week, admitted there was an issue, and then changed the clutch for free, I was worried as when I actually read the included warranty pretty much nothing was covered, but they covered the cost anyway.

Out of interest what is the known issue in the TJ, and what is the fix?
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 12:51   #7
burns2k

They won't give me a copy of the TJ, but I did get a chance to read it. It said the friction of the friction plate was too low and the springs on the pressure plate we too weak. There was also something about an auto adjustment mechanism that was affected by the heat from the increased slipping.
The Following User Says Thank You to burns2k For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2017, 13:26   #8
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Only thing I can see for that number references D5 engines
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2017, 13:52   #9
burns2k

So, I sent them the video and the car went back in on Tuesday for a test drive by the engineer at the dealer and the warranty inspector together. The warranty company finally admitted there was a fault and I authorised them to remove the gearbox to investigate the issue, possibly at our cost, depending on the cause.

It turns out the DMF had leaked grease contaminating the clutch. The DMF, clutch and slave cylinder are being replaced. The cost to me is going to be £36 for some brake cleaner to clean the bell housing and a vent pipe for the updated slave cylinder, apparently that is betterment, which the warranty won't cover.

So I think I'm in the clear, I will breath a sigh of relief when I pick it up with the new clutch in!
The Following User Says Thank You to burns2k For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2017, 21:19   #10
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns2k View Post
So, I sent them the video and the car went back in on Tuesday for a test drive by the engineer at the dealer and the warranty inspector together. The warranty company finally admitted there was a fault and I authorised them to remove the gearbox to investigate the issue, possibly at our cost, depending on the cause.

It turns out the DMF had leaked grease contaminating the clutch. The DMF, clutch and slave cylinder are being replaced. The cost to me is going to be £36 for some brake cleaner to clean the bell housing and a vent pipe for the updated slave cylinder, apparently that is betterment, which the warranty won't cover.

So I think I'm in the clear, I will breath a sigh of relief when I pick it up with the new clutch in!
Not bad eh! Glad to hear you didn't get left in the lurch!