Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rust treatment

Views : 964

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2019, 15:46   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Rust treatment

I know that the best treatment is to cut it out but failing that what is the difference between rust remover and rust encapsulater? My 4L is starting to get a bit moth eaten (brown stained paint etc)but I'm not ready to start working on that yet. Just a "holding" position.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 04:37   #2
c1800
Master Member

Rust remover dissolves the rust by chemical action. Needs to be washed thoroughly before painting.

Rust encapsulator is a bit of a misnomer, it’s actually a rust converter that stabilizes the rust by converting it a different form of iron.

There may be a rust “encapsulator” out there but I’m not familiar with it.

https://www.theruststore.com/Rust-Co...-FAQs-W48.aspx

EDIT:Yes, there is a rust encapsultor, so you have 3 choices...

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-bl...over-rust.html

Last edited by c1800; Feb 16th, 2019 at 05:33.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 05:40   #3
Army
marches on his stomach

Even if you are making a temporary solution it is always best to remove as much as possible with a rust eating solution such as evapo rust or Rustyco

Watch out for rust converters like Fertan - they can do a good job but the penetration might not be as good as you hope so the rust carries on underneath the crust of converted corrosion.

The converters are a little bit like "encapsulators" these too try to form a barrier that is meant to contain the rust and prevent it from spreading.

I've used the Eastwood encapsulator with good results
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 04:25   #4
blueosprey90
Master Member

I am probably in a situation similar to yours and this reply is based on my limited experience using the Eastwood products (United States)

I've used the Eastwood Fast Etch. This is a phosphoric acid liquid sold as a a rust remover, but it is probably best for flash rust. It is applied for about 20 minutes. It dissolves rust and leaves the metal a silver color that can be left unpainted for days without flashing rust. I clean up the metal as well as possible with wire brushes and the like. Then I spray it on and then scrub in with a 3M (plastic ?) scouring pad. I do use a grease remover before applying so that it will not bead up when I spray it on. The scrubbing is to loosen the rust and to get the Fast Etch down into the rust potholes. I wipe down and degrease before proceeding.

The Fast Etch does not seem to damage surrounding paint, but I think it did damage the night glare coating on my glasses.

I've used the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator up under the dash and on the kick panels. I bought the aerosol. I believe best results are when you very thoroughly shake the can. First removed as much rust as possible with wire brushes, then I did an application of the Eastwood Fast Etch, wiped down and degreased. The Rust Encapsulator is fairly thin and went on much like a primer coat of paint. I did several coats and was satisfied with the result, although I did feel that the Rust Encapsulator scratched down to bare metal rather easily. It is said to take any top coat, but I just covered with soundproofing material and other finishing materials.

You might ask how I managed to wire brush up under the dash. I attached my array of wire brushes to a long drill bit extension and extended the drill's reach by about 15 inches.

I believe that P0R-15 would be considered a rust encapsulator. I did use this material on the floor boards. Same basic process - clean up metal with wire brushes, degrease, apply POR-15 Metal Prep (I believe the same phosphorus acid as the Eastwood Fast Etch), rub it in with the 3M scour pads, wipe off, degrease and then apply the POR-15. The POR-15 dries to a much harder, glass like finish. Should be lightly scuffed or sanded and primed with POR primer before application of a finish coat.

I've also used Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating. I've sprayed this stuff into the rocker panels, into the frame rails under the floorboards, into the frames that hold the seats and into the voids between the front fenders and the interior kick panel metal. All areas that I could not access with a wire brush. This is a very loose liquid that is supposed to penetrate, encapsulate and leave a Zinc Phosphate coating. When using, it was important to tape over any holes so that the material wouldn't a) run out and b) get sprayed into the interior or areas where a coating was not wanted. It is sprayed through a 2 foot tube with 4 orifices at the outlet, so it shoots out in four directions.

Eastwood also has a Rust Converter. I believe this is intended for seriously rusted parts from which the rust cannot readily be removed. I haven't used the Rust Converter.

Last edited by blueosprey90; Feb 19th, 2019 at 04:33.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 09:23   #5
Dec

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
I am probably in a situation similar to yours and this reply is based on my limited experience using the Eastwood products (United States)
Eastwood have some great products and online content, I love the Kevin Tetz hands on cars series, a great resource for car restoration fans. I'm not sure of their UK distribution network, although I haven't looked that hard.

In the UK, rust.co.uk is a good source for similar products. Their pre paint prep/salt remover/fe123/epoxy kit is fantastic.

DB
Dec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 13:27   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Food for thought here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWeXDjkXjaI

Fluid Film also works well for the outside and suspension components but can be a bit messy and needs redoing now and again. Won't suit show cars!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 14:31   #7
MAMDaveM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec View Post
Eastwood have some great products and online content, I love the Kevin Tetz hands on cars series, a great resource for car restoration fans. I'm not sure of their UK distribution network, although I haven't looked that hard.

In the UK, rust.co.uk is a good source for similar products. Their pre paint prep/salt remover/fe123/epoxy kit is fantastic.

DB

I'm a +1 on the rust.co.uk pre-paint prep/salt remover/fe123/epoxy kit. I've found it to be excellent
MAMDaveM is offline   Reply With Quote