Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AWD Disable Error Message - Read Out Date & Time

Views : 2163

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2016, 18:23   #1
BAK1985

Exclamation AWD Disable Error Message - Read Out Date & Time

Summary: Can a dealer read out how long an error message has been there (duration, date/time) or if there is a log of messages with date/time to it in the board computer?

Explanation:

Hi All,

I'm in a peculiar situation.

Last Friday 4 November around 1700h I noticed the message that my AWD was disabled and should go in for service. As it was after 5 o'clock, weekend and the car was still driving I got round calling the dealer the Monday after and dropped the car of on Wednesday.

Conclusion "Rear diff oil pump internal fault, require pump and oil". So far so good, besides the fact the car was fully serviced 4 weeks before that, but that is beyond the point of this topic.

I bought a second hand Volvo XC60 (2012) a year a go on the 4th of November 2015 from VolvoSelekt, so it came with 1 years warranty. Which is the reason I serviced it a month before the warranty came up and I wasn't planning to extend.

The problem that you can can now all guess is that the 500 pound fix of the oil pump does not fall within the term of the warranty. My dealer didnt really go the way to convince the underwriter it happened within the warranty time (as I called it in 3 days later).

Though to be honest what are the chances of it happening on the last day of the warranty. Also I should have taken a movie/picture etc. Which was suggested by the underwriter after I called them myself. Regardless, they said if I can prove it happened on the 4th of Nov before 24:00h he would cover it.

The way I think I could prove it is from the board computer they read out with every service. The question is, can the dealer read out how long the error message has been there (duration, date/time)? They havent been particular helpful yet and I would really like to know from somebody if it is actually possible and if that meta-data is logged at all. Before they tell me to go away, I would like to know if I'm asking something impossible or not (e.g. is it worth to keep pushing them).

All your help/knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Anthony

Last edited by BAK1985; Nov 9th, 2016 at 18:25.
BAK1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 13:55   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Two issues here as I see it and I'm not 100% sure of my facts...

BUT.... I'm fairly sure that the car DOES record when a fault code (DTC) is stored in the cars computer system, at the actual time it ORIGINALLY occurs. There is a bit of the DICE/VIDA programme (which the clones don't support) which say how long the fault has occurred for...so not date stamped as such.
What I'm not sure about is .... Is the fault code (DTC) only stored AFTER the cars computer has been read by the VIDA/DICE computer combination.

This position (about storing/not storing codes) will apply to all DTC's not just those in relation to AWD.
Might I suggest posing a general question to that effect in the "upto 2007 V70" section of the forum.Lots of guys have vida/dice combo's and might be able to give you a better/more definitive answer.

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 16:04   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The car will record how ofter the fault has occured over the last cycles

A cycle is nominally a engine start, drive, engine stop
Some faults also record the km reading of the car.

What the car does not know is how often you drive your car

Imagine the fault occured 2 cycles and 200km ago
Did you drive 199km 7 days ago, and 1km today?
Or did you drive 100km 2 days ago and 100km today?

So because there is no timestamp, you cannot definitely proove WHEN a fault occured in terms of time and day.
Only in terms of driving cycles and (often but not always) kms
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 10:06   #4
BAK1985

Default How it has been resolved

Hey guys,

all a big thank you for replying to my question.

To summarise quickly, the warranty has been granted as after a lot of pressure my dealer finally properly hooked it up to the diagnosis system and could read out that the AWD message popped-up on the 2th of November already. Based on this evidence the underwriter accepted the claim.

So in contradiction to your messages the error messages do have a timestamp. Though I must admit I wasnt present nor have a seen the diagnostic report. In any case I'm not paying 600 pounds, which is good.

Thanks!
BAK1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
date, error message, log, read, time