Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whooshing/hissing air type noise from dash area over 30mph

Views : 584

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2019, 16:25   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default Whooshing/hissing air type noise from dash area over 30mph

Hi all,
I collected my 240 estate from my local garage today after they fitted a new rear main seal and input shaft spigot bearing.

The car drives fine, but I'm noticing a whooshing/hissing noise from the dash area at over 30mph...the garage have had the car for several days so I can't remember if it was there previously. Either way, my 740 doesn't make that sort of noise, so I presume it's something I need to sort out.

It doesn't change when I dip the clutch, and seems to be specifically related to speed not rpm. It doesn't change when loading either side of the car during cornering or abate/change when I hit the brakes, other than getting gradually quieter as the car slows down.

Altering the heater controls/air redirection flaps doesn't seem to have an effect either.

Any ideas would be very welcome!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 07:50   #2
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi..i"ll make a start on this...Could it be the gear lever gaiter/rubber sleeve come adrift?..a lot of noise would be produced if that was the case.I know this sounds stupid but is the passenger door shut tight..Same sort of sound produced.and just for other readers was it the engine rear seal replaced?..trying to imagine where the work was carried out on the car..Hope you get to the bottom of this..regards hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 10:20   #3
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestjoe View Post
Hi..i"ll make a start on this...Could it be the gear lever gaiter/rubber sleeve come adrift?..a lot of noise would be produced if that was the case.I know this sounds stupid but is the passenger door shut tight..Same sort of sound produced.and just for other readers was it the engine rear seal replaced?..trying to imagine where the work was carried out on the car..Hope you get to the bottom of this..regards hj.
Yes indeed, it was the rear main that was replaced. I'll check the gaiter, I didn't think of that!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 10:58   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestjoe View Post
That sounds (sorry....) very likely.

It reminds me of the Austin Somerset one fine summer making strange noises. A garage diagnosed it. The car was being driven past fence posts with the front windows wound down.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 16:51   #5
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

I've gone over it with a fine toothed comb and can't find and bungs, gaiters, seals or soundproofing loose or misplaced.

One thing I DID spot though is that right at the base of the NSF brake disc (where the flat bit meets the hub bit) there is a fresh, bright silver groove worn, as if a stone or some other debris has become trapped in there and has been scraping away at the disc. This could easily be the noise I'm hearing. I'm going to whip the wheel off at the weekend and do some investigating. I may well order a set of pads for it too whilst I'm at it. Two birds and all that!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 20:00   #6
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

I also wondered whether the rubber flap seals on the two centre dashboard air vents had perished (and lost their efficacy) and as they are force-fed fresh air from the below-windscreen grille are always getting a supply of fresh air. Worth a check if your brake issue proves non-conclusive?
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas Lewin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 21:23   #7
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Lewin View Post
I also wondered whether the rubber flap seals on the two centre dashboard air vents had perished (and lost their efficacy) and as they are force-fed fresh air from the below-windscreen grille are always getting a supply of fresh air. Worth a check if your brake issue proves non-conclusive?
Good thinking, I would never have thought of that! The car has a reasonably high degree of rubber degradation (all the suspension bushes have had to be changed, and engine and gearbox mounts are next on my list), so there's every chance that the rubber flap seals have expired too. I'll investigate asap!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 08:48   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

A coincidence though that it suddenly happened after removing the gearbox?

I'd still check the fit of the gearlever grommet to the metalwork, and that the thick rubber insulation packing has been correctly put back in place.

As an example of how much noise can come from a small gap in that area, just try pinching the boot round the gearlever while driving along. If there is a tiny gap, slide the boot down and put a turn of insulating tape round the lever.

And of course they've disturbed it again having to re-do the flywheel
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 12:30   #9
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
A coincidence though that it suddenly happened after removing the gearbox?

I'd still check the fit of the gearlever grommet to the metalwork, and that the thick rubber insulation packing has been correctly put back in place.

As an example of how much noise can come from a small gap in that area, just try pinching the boot round the gearlever while driving along. If there is a tiny gap, slide the boot down and put a turn of insulating tape round the lever.

And of course they've disturbed it again having to re-do the flywheel
This is indeed where the noise is coming from! If I push the carpet down ahead of the gear lever and gaiter, the noise vanishes. I'll get in there with some soundproofing methinks. At least I now know it's nothing serious!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post: