Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG: When will people learn! (???)

Views : 11812

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 23:49   #11
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
That’s 6 posts out of the 350 that I have made. That’s around 2% of my posts. It’s not exactly a conspiracy is it.
It’s actually 1.5% of my posts...
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 23:49   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:

I do not have LPG nor do I intend to as several friends and family have had it and it was unreliable and didn’t work well and consistently.

That was the comment that I made.
So you have never run a LPG car yourself! All this crap you have been sprouting out and without first hand experiance

and this came from you

Quote:
OK DLM48 lets get rid of the 'old wives tales' and the 'my mates mate has had
So it is ok for you to carry on with your own old wives tales then?

To be fair DLM48 was wrong but the MOT regs had only recently changed.
Your comments have been wrong and you still cant admit it. Yes there are some bad installs out there (I've just had one in today to fix) but then there are "bad" MOT testers out there who are not upto date and let a car go through with the EML on.

Now your "friends" who have had issues with LPG conversions. Imagine they go to some forums for advice, then just imagine some nay sayer like you comes along as says tough luck thats just how LPG is. That is no help to anyone.

Time to wake up and get with it - if you don't want to save money and reduce your emissions then leave the rest of us do to get along with it
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 23:52   #13
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I did not quote all of your posts but if you look at your posts relating to LPG they are all in a negative way to the fuel.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 23:58   #14
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
So you have never run a LPG car yourself! All this crap you have been sprouting out and without first hand experiance

and this came from you

So it is ok for you to carry on with your own old wives tales then?

To be fair DLM48 was wrong but the MOT regs had only recently changed.
Your comments have been wrong and you still cant admit it. Yes there are some bad installs out there (I've just had one in today to fix) but then there are "bad" MOT testers out there who are not upto date and let a car go through with the EML on.

Now your "friends" who have had issues with LPG conversions. Imagine they go to some forums for advice, then just imagine some nay sayer like you comes along as says tough luck thats just how LPG is. That is no help to anyone.

Time to wake up and get with it - if you don't want to save money and reduce your emissions then leave the rest of us do to get along with it
Oh it all makes sense now, you are in the LPG business.

Nope, never owned an LPG car and never claimed to have either. Have travelled distances in close friends, EML usually on, quite often problems, full throttle issues etc.

I will state that I am not in the industry and am not benifited in any way by being pro or anti lpg.

So far the original poster has stated ‘if done properly and understood’, another poster has said I am right (both seem to run LPG cars). And we have a poster who runs a 20 year old van.

So tell me this? In answer to the original thread OP how many 2018 XC90 T6 models have you converted? Assume it didn’t effect the warrenty? Assume it didn’t effect the resale and that it was an easy and cheap installation?

I won’t post any further Towards yourself/ your business , you seem to have a very pro agenda and seem to have determined I am anti.

When shown a 2018 xc90 T6 converted with ease and low cost and reliably naturally I will take it all back.

Best Regards and happy new year.

Last edited by XC90Mk1; Jan 3rd, 2019 at 00:02.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 23:59   #15
skippyfox
VOC Member

Strewth!! just had a read through this thread.. Glad I'm running around in a good old fashioned D5 XC70. Gets me where I want to go.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skippyfox For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 00:04   #16
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyfox View Post
Strewth!! just had a read through this thread.. Glad I'm running around in a good old fashioned D5 XC70. Gets me where I want to go.
D5 xc90 here, 15-25k a year never missed a beat. Would buy an LPG in a heart beat if I thought I could continue to claim my 45p per mile travelled and do so reliably:

My experience is that this won’t happen which seems to upset some people for some reason???
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 00:14   #17
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:

So tell me this? In answer to the original thread OP how many 2018 XC90 T6 models have you converted? Assume it didn’t effect the warrenty? Assume it didn’t effect the resale and that it was an easy and cheap installation?

Best Regards and happy new year.
I can't answer the the OP to the original thread. He never gave use the full details of the car. It could have been no newer than a 2017 as that is when the post was made. The OP has only ever made that one post so I can not help him further. It would most likely be a older model T6 that have been converted 100's of times but we are speculating

Yes I am in the industry so I see a lot of cars both converted well and badly. A new install and you have comback on the installer. Buy a car that was converted years ago if you don't know what you are looking at you are taking a chance but LPG converted cars dont especially sell for a higher price.

Manuafctures do not cover modifications hence why most LPG converted cars are either after warranty (you can buy a warranty) or factory fitted conversions.

Conversion easy? No T6 is easy but some cars are simple other are not

Cheap, buy cheap buy twice but no need to spend over teh odds either

The real thing you need to point out is are you doing the miles to both cover teh cost of conversion and start saving money. Do the maths before doing teh conversion that is a point everyone can agree on. Also do not forget to factor in servicing costs. If you will not see your money back in the first 12 months it is likely not worth it for you. Classics is another story

Happy New Year

Only attempting to educate you as have other being trying to do so
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 00:23   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
D5 xc90 here, 15-25k a year never missed a beat. Would buy an LPG in a heart beat if I thought I could continue to claim my 45p per mile travelled and do so reliably:

My experience is that this won’t happen which seems to upset some people for some reason???
The old D5 is not a bad engine for a child killer

I have run one as a daily, not too many troubles with it and decent power to be fair in a S80 executive.
Decided to upgrade to a V90 and needed a 3ltr petrol engine in my life. The V90 on LPG is cheaper to run but ticks a lot more boxes of what I like in a car.

Ignoring what comes out of the exhaust the D5 is a great engine and for a diesel runs nice. Yes they need the soot cleaning out as part of servicing. Power is good. Noise is not bad. Compared to running on petrol it is cheaper to fuel. Service cost is similar. Both engine will do the miles reliably.
If you are strongly concerned about the environment you would never run a diesel car. But then if that strongly concerned you would not own a car, never fly etc. From that aspect I am glad the powers that be have suddenly remembered the crap that comes out of a diesel exhaust but given another 20 years that will once again be forgotten about.
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 10:28   #19
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Shame you can't easily buy new dual fuel cars in the UK, if the environmental gains are so high it should be a no brainer...

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 15:33   #20
cyclogenesis

I have regularly written to my MP about the government's approach. I pay VED tax at full rate even though I have one of the cleanest cars on the road. Child killers ( as a previous poster eloquently put it) are VED free in many instances and burn a very dirty fuel.

Its also wrong that I get no recognition if I drive into Lahndahn Tahn either (don't do it often). When I wrote to the MP about how the Government plays to the tune of major car manufacturers and neglects the conversion industry who are important local businesses, what I got back was 'Oh well you could be driving around on unleaded'. My response was suitable irritated 'why would I choose to drive around on a more expensive fuel when there is a cheaper alternative'.

Lazy civil servants, just out to make it to pension date without doing the right thing for the environment and local small businesses.

I urge you all to write in disgust as well and if eventually there are measures put in place, then there will be more professional converters and less stories of woe.

The next big push will be electric cars, forgetting that production of an electric car uses twice as much energy, mainly due to its battery, environmental damage from lithium, cobalt and nickel mining and only about 10 years of life with significant costs and pollution from recycling batteries.

I predict the same outcry about electric cars in 10 years time that we had from Diesel.

In contrast, LPG is a very clean fuel and could be extracted from landfill and other sources if we were clever about it.
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cyclogenesis For This Useful Post: