Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 daytime lights

Views : 8631

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 14:53   #1
Nice But Dim

Default XC60 daytime lights

Personally I’m not a fan of driving around with the headlights on constantly and tend to use the side lights instead – which in an XC60 looks way better in my view. In the XC60 setting the lights to “0” in true Volvo style ensure the headlights remain on; Turning to the next setting along activates the side lights – which I think is a better option. But what is annoying is that when you leave the vehicle there is no reminder to the driver that the side-lights are actually still ON – and I often walk away leaving the side-lights on all-day !

Does anyone know if this can be altered – in my old Avensis it would bleep at you ? I’m aware you may be able to turn off the daytime headlights altogether…thanks.

N b D

Previously
XC60 MY2010 2.4D Drive SE, Saville Grey, leather, sunroof, front & rear sensors, family pack
Nice But Dim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 14:57   #2
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I can't recall seeing an option on the system that you can have a buzzer or something, only switching between LHD and RHD traffic when having Bi-xenon.

DRL's will be mandatory across every country in Europe soon. Many countries have started the change-over already. I think the UK (& Germany) is set for 2010-11 hence so many manufacturers now have it with LED technology.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 15:50   #3
GSMGuy
Master Member

The reason there is no warning, is because it's actually the "parking lights" you are switching/leaving on.

There is, technically no setting for sidelights on the XC60, nor on my XC90 either...

As an aside, when you are driving normally, I presume the "sidelights" and the headlights are on?

It may be possible to have just the headlights turned off, ie leaving the others as DRL's - Something you need to check with Volvo.

Mike

Last edited by GSMGuy; Jul 1st, 2009 at 16:08.
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 22:32   #4
Jay

NBD i suggest you have them switch off - save the power on the alternator & bulbs!

I have ordered an xc90 SE LUX with active bending xenon lights and requested that the day running lights (DRL) are switched off - I prefer to have the flexibility with the lights.

Does anyone know if DRL is the same as the night light. I have been that is the case. With the DRL switched off what will happen with the lights on 0 setting (i assume no lights), on the next switch with two lghts showing (i assume it is the side lights) and the third setting is the night light same as the DRL.

Can anyone confirm this for me ? and does the rear lights stay on with the DRL ?
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 23:50   #5
nponte

DRL to become mandatory starting in 2011 across Europe.

http://www.euractiv.com/en/transport...article-175743
nponte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nponte For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 11:25   #6
Nice But Dim

Yes you are right - both the headlight and "sidelights" are both ON when driving normally.

So I presume it should be possible for the dealer to deactivate the headlights and just run with the others.... will enquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post

As an aside, when you are driving normally, I presume the "sidelights" and the headlights are on?

It may be possible to have just the headlights turned off, ie leaving the others as DRL's - Something you need to check with Volvo.

Mike

Previously
XC60 MY2010 2.4D Drive SE, Saville Grey, leather, sunroof, front & rear sensors, family pack
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 13:17   #7
Nice But Dim

Wink

Just spoken to the dealer and they have said its not possible to turn the headlights off and leave the parking lights on.

Which is odd as that's just how the car is specc'ed in other EU countries..... can anyone else add anything to this - not that I don't trust my local dealer's advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice But Dim View Post
So I presume it should be possible for the dealer to deactivate the headlights and just run with the others.... will enquire

Previously
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 14:48   #8
Jay

why don't you have the day running lights switched off and then you will have the flexibilty to switch between parking lights and normal lights.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 15:17   #9
Nice But Dim

'cause there is no warning to remind you you have left the parking lights on. Perhaps I'm jest getting old - all I want it to do is buzz at me so I remember to switch them off !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
why don't you have the day running lights switched off and then you will have the flexibilty to switch between parking lights and normal lights.

Previously
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 15:48   #10
Jay

i spoke with volvo technical information who advised me that the buzzer noise was deleted after customer complaints and after model 400.

I suggest you get rid of the day running lights (should cost approx £35 for software download & labour) and have the flexibilty to switch between parking lights & night lights.

hope this helps.

P>S> ordered a new xc90 se lux without the day running lights.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay For This Useful Post: