Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The straw that broke the camels back

Views : 1678

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2023, 06:22   #1
xco
Premier Member

Default The straw that broke the camels back

I sadly have to inform the community that regrettably after 17 years of Volvo ownership I am moving on.
I recently learnt that the new road tax for my car will be £675 and THAT for a 15 year old car is totally unacceptable.
I think I have always made it clear on here how much I loved my car but with a heavy heart I have to yield ....enough is enough.

I don't like anything post P2 so time to go unfortunately.
I will still pop on here fron time to time and my wife still owns her C30 D5 so we still have one Volvo.

I have gone the way of the cat in the shape of a rather nice Jaguar XFS sportbrake in black.
I have never owned a Jag before but being forced from my beloved Xc90 who could do no wrong I thought I would try one.
It's a 3 ltr V6 D Portfolio...done only 56k and gives 35mpg around town but moves into sip mode on the motorway at 50-52 mpg (which I have already achieved so know not to be a fantasy figure).yearly road tax is only £240.00 squid...and FC insurance comes out at about £350.00 ...so in my opinion was a no brainer.

I really hate the government for what they have done to me because I really liked that car and the amount of miles I do a year I don't think I contributed to the UK's 1% pollution by any given measurement.

Anyway's .

L8TR guys
Wherever you go............There you are!!!

Last edited by xco; May 25th, 2023 at 06:29.
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2023, 07:58   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I'm in exactly the same tax bracket with my XC90 and whilst the cost is punitive I took the view that I have my 07 plate XC90 for 5 years and know it well.
To change to something that would still be capable of hauling our caravan I would still be paying somewhere in the region of £250 - £300 a year VED so in essence I'm paying about an extra £30 a month to keep the XC90.

It still scrubs up well, does everything I need and the fuel consumption is entirely acceptable for what it is.

If I changed , I still wouldn't want much money tied up in a car so I may well be buying something that is nowhere near as reliable as what I have and will cost me more in the long run.

Our second car is a Peugeot 207 SW with the 1.6hdi engine.
£20 a year tax, a very easy to achieve 50 -65mpg depending on use and ample power.
I know the horror stories some talk about with this engine but most of it is due to stupidly long service intervals which I have abandoned. in favour of oil/filter every 9k . 2 years in and it's been great.

I hope the Jag works out for well for you and I do think that they are an attractive car. I also understand the feeling that we are having the urine extracted with VED .

Good Luck..... 👍😉

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2023, 18:03   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Sorry to hear that, I would agree there is not justification whatsoever for that level of road tax.

You'll enjoy the Jag, they're very Volvo like in comfy seats and ride. I hope it's reliable for you.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2023, 18:14   #4
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

I'm also in the same boat. The VED is an absolute joke, I'm inclined to sell and get a mondeo estate or a 330 touring. I've had both and miss them dearly, however they were problematic and I was constantly pouring money in to them (not as much on the mondeo mind you) but sometimes it's better the devil you know. My xc90 is a peach, very well maintained and I'd be very regretful to get rid and replace it with a lemon. Tough decision I agree, and xc90's are only depreciating daily as further restrictions come at us motorists so I'm in limbo at the moment.

But a wise woman once said to me: If in doubt, do nout.

So that's what I'll do for now 😁
azzledazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to azzledazzle For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2023, 22:49   #5
xco
Premier Member

Broke my heart chaps I can tell you ...If anything needed doing I spent money on it ...it was MY08 and when i traded it in last week it still only had 128k on it (dont forget thats 15 years old so low miles in real terms really)...
Trade in price...?? £2k sob
Old May 25th, 2023, 23:03   #6
xco
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Sorry to hear that, I would agree there is not justification whatsoever for that level of road tax.

You'll enjoy the Jag, they're very Volvo like in comfy seats and ride. I hope it's reliable for you.
Thanks Tannaton ....i'm am enjoying it and agree how volvo - like it is and can put it on a par with my MY04 V70 D5 i had for 6 years for comfort and fuel sipping but performance is next world.

It is a MY14 and apparently the most reliable period for these Big Cats was 2013-2015 so mine is right in the middle of the goldie locks zone and at 56K miles it was a steal.
Servicing and parts is on a par with my xc90 but fuel return is nearly twice as much (i've monitored 54 mpg so far on a blip up the A38 ...cruise control locked at 75 mph seems to be the trick same as was with my V70)and road tax is unbelievable at £240 squid!!!!
Anyway I will still pop in from time to time chaps...been coming on here since 2009 and hard to break old habits ...love the community on here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2023, 23:05   #7
xco
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzledazzle View Post
I'm also in the same boat. The VED is an absolute joke, I'm inclined to sell and get a mondeo estate or a 330 touring. I've had both and miss them dearly, however they were problematic and I was constantly pouring money in to them (not as much on the mondeo mind you) but sometimes it's better the devil you know. My xc90 is a peach, very well maintained and I'd be very regretful to get rid and replace it with a lemon. Tough decision I agree, and xc90's are only depreciating daily as further restrictions come at us motorists so I'm in limbo at the moment.

But a wise woman once said to me: If in doubt, do nout.

So that's what I'll do for now 😁
I know how you feel m8 but I couldn't justify £675 for a 15 year old car as much as I told myself I could so common sense had to prevail.
Old May 30th, 2023, 14:03   #8
Parknest

The reasonable VED was one of the reasons I bought my XC90. If I was in the same situation, I would consider a Jag myself. My partner loves the XF so I would go for one myself.
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)
1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
Parknest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parknest For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2023, 16:35   #9
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

So how much did you spend buying the Jag to avoid paying £675 on the Volvo?

My C70 is £675 also, but has been re-registered in the disabled tax class, which is handy. Not so handy for the missus who had to become disabled in order to qualify for it, mind.
Old May 30th, 2023, 17:50   #10
xco
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
So how much did you spend buying the Jag to avoid paying £675 on the Volvo?

My C70 is £675 also, but has been re-registered in the disabled tax class, which is handy. Not so handy for the missus who had to become disabled in order to qualify for it, mind.
Yes I can relate to your thinking pattern m8 but enough was enough time for a fresh start.....
17k all but £5.00. but the new car has done only 56k... 2K TI for my XC90....£500 deposit given ....
£14.495 handed over on collecting last week and I haven't looked back.
New road tax on jag £240 so already saved £400 on that this year....Using cruise sensibly have already achieved 55mpg(not seen that since I owned my V70)
Don't need a 7 seater anymore so time to go...I'm 😊