Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Emissions failure (MOT)

Views : 1366

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2020, 15:21   #1
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Default Emissions failure (MOT)

On the BiFuel I see there are 3 Lambda sensors. 2 normal ones and 1 specifically for the LPG system?
On MOT test, running on petrol, idle lambda and gas emissions were steady but at 3000rpm everything was fluctuating and this produced a fail.
I didnt get the chance to test on LPG.
I remember on the previous test the Inspector getting agitated with the readings BUT he passed the car, may even have over ridden the machine.
Now that was with a new front pipe and CAT fitted. The other I took off because it was rattling inside. I still have that pipe in my scrap pile.
I see there such things as 200cell CATs but they only seem to have 1 sensor point.
Any opinions please?
Gazzer
Old May 15th, 2020, 12:58   #2
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , If you are having issues with emission issues when running on petrol , pop into your MOT place ( if you can ) and ask them nicely to perform a free reading test , just to show you exactly what is being recorded by the machine .

If you still appear to have problems , send your car for test RUNNING ON LPG & inform the tester it is running on LPG . There is a different criteria for LPG emission readings , I get this sometimes on petrol , fails & always pass when tested on LPG .

With regards to number of Lambda sensors , simply buy as many additional bosses as you need , drill & weld onto pipes to match original set up making sure there are NO leaks as this will affect lambda readings, so you can happily use a 200 cell Cat . Also take your car for a good thrash before presenting for test, we get many that fail emissions testing as they drive very short journeys / never get hot /bimble around at 9 MPH & the cat is unable to obtain working temp , becoming unable to function correctly . A "drive it like you stole it " journey should generate sufficient heat to allow the Cat to begin functioning

Good Luck
Old May 15th, 2020, 17:15   #3
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

dingov70: Thanks for coming back.
The test is taken in Spain. The only difference is I take the car through under the instruction of the tester (same as HGV in the UK). The tester sits in the car to do the emissions part of the test.
I watch the screen for results. The idle speed is fine. At the 3000rpm test, the figures constantly fluctuate (just like the primary lambda sensor does) but as I said, this was on petrol. Im not sure what my rights are to insist on LPG test. IF the petrol lambda sensor is wonky (lazy as they can get) then the LPG lambda sensor (which is the one on the down pipe I assume) is different to the other two.
Although I was not exuberant driving the 45km to the test centre I did run the engine for at least 15 mins prior to going in for test. The engine should have been at working temp. HOWEVER, there was moisture coming out of the tailpipe (it was a cold day).
It's the fluctuation that confuses me...and the tester!
Ive been lucky, just like many others, there are NO tests at the moment...but not for ever! It failed at the beginning of March!
Old May 15th, 2020, 17:38   #4
dingov70
Master Member

UM ! , I would ask very nicely if they can point you to the ITV test manual , so you can read that . This is a freely available on line manual in the UK .

I would find someone with a diagnostic machine & perform a live data read , all the better if driven on the road , you can actually see the values the lambda sensors are returning & which one is dying / faulty .

You may could also simply ask the ITV examiner about testing on LPG , they might well be happy to do so
Old May 19th, 2020, 09:40   #5
dingov70
Master Member

Just found this , it may help you

https://itv.com.es/
Old Jun 1st, 2020, 22:06   #6
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

I drove it like I stole it before the test and then sat for 45 mins before I got called in!
On the emissions side, rev to 2500 rpm and it settles on 0.04% contaminantes and 1.010 lambda. It was a bit fluctuating before hand but the tester was happy at the figures given.

The SRS was fine.

Passed! thank you all.