Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lead Free Conversion

Views : 684

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2014, 18:38   #1
ranjit200

Default Lead Free Conversion

Lead Free Conversion/ Cylinder head Conversion

Hi, Since the withdrawal of lead petrol at the end of 20th century raised concerns about the engine damage from exhaust valve seat recession, 'VSR' in older engines in historic vehicles and thus the Lead replacement additives were introduced providing a level of protection to overcome the harmful side effects from the change of petrol. Thus we are able to use unleaded fuel but have we thought that it contains ' ethanol ' which is harmful to the rubber hoses and other metallic parts etc. Initially the use of ethanol in petrol is 5% volume, but with the expectation that 10% volume and possibly higher levels in the blend will become reality in future.

I'm just wondering whether its worth the money (which is tight) having it converted to run on unleaded fuel?
Even after the conversion the ethanol issue is still remains.

So is it really worth the penny to go for the lead free conversion or is it only for not going through trouble having to use substitute every time you fill up.

I would appreciate views on this TOPIC and those members who have had cylinder head converted to Lead Free have they experience anything difference in the performance of engine or anything else.

Your views on whether the conversion is the right thing to do or..... please tell us your opinion and your suggestions your advice is highly appreciated.

How much could it cost and what are the + side and - side of the conversion and what other things one must think before doing conversion.

I guess for the most people it is in the interests of wallet than getting the car cylinder head conversion done and to be on the safe side, i.e using additives when filling up.

Even the most suitable additive will only delay the amount of wear unleaded fuel cause to an engine’s valve seats.

Hoping to hearing from you. Thanks

with regards
ranjit

reference:

http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/legislation-a....co.uk#anchor3

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automot...-additives.asp
ranjit200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 18:47   #2
DJS

Hi Ranjit,

Don't bother with a conversion or additives.

You can adjust the timing until it stops pinking on hills.

You won't cause any damage to the engine.

The only time you will be at risk of a little valve seat damage will be at high speed / high rpm / high load. Unlikely for an Amazon.

I travelled thousands of miles across Europe with my car and never had any issues.
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJS For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 21:30   #3
ranjit200

hi, I think I have wrongly placed this tread under Topic 'SALES'.

I have made a new entry tread under Topic Amazon general

Thanks
ranjit
ranjit200 is offline   Reply With Quote