Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's your model Volvo and what DONT you like about it?

Views : 32866

Replies : 325

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 13:45   #101
Laney760
VOC Member

My 760 GLE TD

1 - The interior light and map lights are so far back I have to strain to reach them, I suspect Swedish people may have long arms. And why are the map lights mounted in the same place as the interior light, map lights I have had in all other cars are mounted above the interior mirror

2 - The automatic gearbox, I would have preferred manual but beggers can't be choosers when you are looking to buy a cheap D24Tic. I'm changing gears manually now until I change the kick down speeds mechanically myself, have read on here this can be done

3 - A D24Tic engine is difficult to work on anyway, and with all the paraphanalia for air con, etc added on, this engine bay is extremely cluttered

Otherwise I'm over the moon with my £350 bargain

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 14:45   #102
Jim760
Mr G

760 GLE-L Exec

dislike the 760's steering wheel, too thin for my shovel hands, early 960 one is much better
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 17:59   #103
S6020T

2001 S60 2.0T

1. The turning circle - it's a lot larger than other cars I've owned and driven.

2. The low speed ride - it may be just the roads around here but the ride can quite harsh at town speeds.

3. The climate control for me isn't perfect - when on a long journey it can suddenly get warmer or colder needing some adjustment.

But none of these would stop me owning another one.
S6020T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S6020T For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 17:42   #104
scenicavalon

Volvo C30
Just joined the forum. Sad tale to tell. Bought used 2007 1.8se C30 end of Jan this year from Volvo Dealer. 15500 miles when bought. 18100 now. Always wanted a Volvo because it was spoken off as being Bullet Proof. Car towed away by RAC today under Volvo Assistance Warranty. "Suspect Clutch Slave Cylinder leak" it says on report. This is its 3rd trip to get something fixed. Rac man says its housed in some casing somewhere. Sounds expensive. Hire car is on its way here. Am I just unlucky with this car and should I try to keep the faith in the Volvo brand? My previous cars Renault Scenics and Picassos never had to visit a garage outside of Normal service intervals. Feeling disillusioned at moment
scenicavalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 00:16   #105
testmonkey

'98 S40 T4

1. Yes it's a saloon but it really could do with a rear windscreen wiper (and rear demister isn't very effective).

2. Driver window doesn't have 1-touch close function - either that or it doesn't work anymore (but does work 1-touch full open).

3. Steering wheel adjustment doesn't go high enough. Even with the wheel full up and the leccy seat full down my thigh still touches the steering wheel.

Other than that I love it. Never thought I'd own a Volvo but after 10 mins of driving it I was a convert.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 00:25   #106
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenicavalon View Post
Volvo C30
Just joined the forum. Sad tale to tell...
Hi and welcome!

The slave cylinder on those cars is almost certainly concentric...i.e. it's inbetween the engine and gearbox. If that is the problem...I don't envy whoever has to replace it...!

The C30 is basically a Ford Focus with a different body on it. I don't think the Focus is known for its outstanding reliability, and it seems from a few bits and bobs I've picked up that the 'small' cars (C30, S40, V50, C70...all Focus-based) aren't as reliable as the big cars.

Having said that, you must have had excellent luck with the French cars and you must now be having appalling luck with the C30 if you think the French stuff was good. Both petrol and diesel versions (of both) have reliability problems, and my friend's Picasso gives more trouble than I'd expect from a 5 year old car. Incidentally, if your C30 is either a 1.6D or 2.0D, it uses the same Citroen engines found in the Picasso.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 16:47   #107
steadvex
Master Member

second post

s60 d5 2005

the fact an aftermarket alternator causes the warning light to come on because it doesn't have some special electrionic module that recongises it as a offical volvo alternator, and the luke one i bought still cost £356, a mere £70 less than the offical volvo one!

my local volvo told me mine was the second car this week to come in with the same problem
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 18:03   #108
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

04 V70se D5 Rica sportune.

Dislikes: 1. Turning circle worse than 747
2. Thor alloys kerbstone magnetism
3. Sitting at the lights, a beemer pulls alongside....
hobbyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 18:21   #109
Robbijay
S60 D5 SE + Winter Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyhorse View Post
04 V70se D5 Rica sportune.

Dislikes: 1. Turning circle worse than 747
2. Thor alloys kerbstone magnetism
3. Sitting at the lights, a beemer pulls alongside....
why do u dislike a BM pulling along side? are you envious of there lack of indicators?
Robbijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 20:41   #110
davew

s80 T6

Dislikes:

turning circle

The 5 seconds between starting the engine and all the lights going out, just waiting to see if today is the day that a code is going to pop up, and will it be expensive.

The cost of maintaining it.

The amount of things that can go wrong and the difficulty of actually diagnosing the problem correctly first time without having to replace each peice of the car bit by bit until you find it.