Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.6 manual won't start - help / suggestions requested

Views : 712

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2019, 17:09   #1
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default V40 1.6 manual won't start - help / suggestions requested

Situation:
I went outside around 6 am this morning to start my V40 1.6 manual. Battery was turning it over a little slower than usual (normally starts first time on key even at 2 am in the cold) so I took battery out, put in on charger and went into work.

Came home this afternoon & battery charger showed it as charged up so I put back on car. Car now cranks nice'n'fast but won't fire.

No warning lights, no immobiliser etc coming on when cranking over.

Having read a comment on here I've just gone out and watched the rev counter whilst cranking the engine & the needle doesn't rise from the zero position, but I'm not sure if that's normal or indicative of a possible crank or cam position sensor playing up?

A few more observations:

(1) Last night I'd started up and moved the car a couple of feet for a neighbour to let them park up & I wondered if I'd got 'bore wash' from that, as I had once with my 850, so I pulled 2 of the plugs & both were 'normal', ie not really oily & definitely NOT wet. Also, when I pulled the 2 plugs the bores didn't smell of petrol which perhaps suggests fuel's the issue more than electrical?

(2) In the last few weeks there's been a some times when she's not fired straight away, which might possibly indicate a sensor going out, or the fuel's not getting primed into the system? On those times, however, once she's caught (just 3-4 sec longer than usual) she's carried on perfectly ok.

(3) Also, the CEL has been on for about 3+ months now. I'd purchased a reader but discovered that this car's of the age which means it won't show error codes. Since the first CEL came on I've not noticed any change to the way it drives, so it might not relate to what's caused this?

I'm reading through old posts on here whilst writing this and so I may dig up an answer but I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions.

I'll also try cranking it again then pull a plug to confirm it's wet & fuel's getting through.

In the meantime, any thoughts anyone?

Tips or suggestions appreciated as we're meant to be taking the kids to places in the next few days and a non-running car isn't going to keep me in the wife's good books!

Thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 17:43   #2
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Status update - have got her running now!

If it helps anyone else, I'm still not sure what caused the no-start.

I pulled a plug, which didn't seem or smell wet so I thought there might be a fuel issue.

Anyhow, I knew the battery was good so I just left cranked it for about 30 sec a few times and then this time it slowly ... began ... to ... fire.

Still none the wiser & I may need to replace something in the future if this happens again.

Oh well, that's cars for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 22:49   #3
oliverpervasive

Default Mystery no start

Glad to hear you are up and running again.

Hope it does not come back....

I wonder if you have a hole in one of your (fuel) pipes so it lost vacuum - hence no fuel flowing until cranked a lot.

Just a wine fuelled comment - it could be so many things - but worth having a quick nosy over around the fuel filter/injectors and looking / sniffing after you have been for a short run.
oliverpervasive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oliverpervasive For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 10:21   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

Indeed, it does sound as though fuel pressure is not being maintained at the rail...hence the continuous cranking. Once left sat for a time my first port of call would be to check there is fuel pressure at the rail (goggles at the ready - press the Schrader valve) and then check the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the other end of the rail. You can remove the vacuum line to the FPR and if fuel comes out the diaphragm is damaged.

If you have passengers on board and it fails to start again in the meantime try priming the fuel pump 3 or 4 times to bring fuel to the rail before trying to start.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 11:57   #5
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

@oliverpervasive & @Baffler thanks for the tips, yes, hearing her fire up was a big relief.

I'd thought it might have been the bore wash / lawnmower syndrome issue but when I'd pulled the plugs they were quite dry, so perhaps a lack of fuel getting through was the cause.

I guess it's one of those 'watch and see what happens issues'.
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 12:15   #6
loelly

The easy way to check the fuel is to spray a litte amount of start pilot in the admision tube and cranck up.If indeed the fuel is not coming to the line it would start a very short time.If no result is is the ignition that fails.Just do not spray to much as this is not good for the engine.Also stand clear so a backfire will not burn your hands.
loelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loelly For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 09:02   #7
V40T4R

Maybe ect sensor is shoot.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 16:09   #8
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Thanks V40T4R and loelly, I'm going to watch & see how things go.

So far it's been a one-off occurrence, she's been very reliable, so I'm hoping it's not an indication of a bigger problem.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 16:22   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesStevenson View Post
@oliverpervasive & @Baffler thanks for the tips, yes, hearing her fire up was a big relief.

I'd thought it might have been the bore wash / lawnmower syndrome issue but when I'd pulled the plugs they were quite dry, so perhaps a lack of fuel getting through was the cause.

I guess it's one of those 'watch and see what happens issues'.
Cars are like women , she has been trying to tell you for months that she is unwell and you have ignored her , She has had enough now ! Ignore the warning light at your peril ! :-)

Tags
1.6, fuel, ignition, not starting