Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pollution charges

Views : 3339

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 18:18   #31
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
They want you to take public transport..... The whole things a shambles, less cars means more planes. They’re on about extending Heathrow which means more planes and fumes drifting over London. There’s a lot of robbing Peter to pay Paul going on here. I wonder how much pollution the Eco demonstrations are producing?
Emma Thomson flew over 5000 miles to join them but seems to be exempt from criticism. Also, the mess they left behind, plastic bottles included, was shocking to see.
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimNiceBut For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 18:54   #32
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post
Emma Thomson flew over 5000 miles to join them but seems to be exempt from criticism. Also, the mess they left behind, plastic bottles included, was shocking to see.
Yeah... saw that. My favourite comment was they helped to clean up and some then said “But they dropped it in the first place”

If you separated out the real Eco demonstrators from the people who’re there for the fun of it you could probably send the real Eco warriors home in a taxi. I suspect that it’s been hijacked by the trendies looking for a bit of fun.

TT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 19:18   #33
Whippy
Premier Member

Loved the fact they made a big thing about "winding it down" and "we'll move to the next phase" on Easter Monday, so nothing to do with having to get back to work then?
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:02   #34
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post
Emma Thomson I have total contempt for. Not only the long haul flight she took to join the protestors but the numerous long haul flights she will have taken over the years purely for US award shows, film promotions etc. All unnecessary if you want to show your eco credentials, all self indulgent. Utter hypocrit.

As for the mess, there was a picture of Hyde Park doing the rounds that wasn't actually anything to do with the eco protestors, it was from a cannabis march. Naughty people were posting that claming it was from the eco march. No doubt there was some rubbish but even they have to drink water in 25°C temps in central London with no taps available, even they have to eat. Ideally it should all go in a bin, maybe it did but due to number of people it was overflowing?

I'm not defending any litter, hate litter, never drop it, always use bins even if it means stuffing it in my pockets for hours on end. However, I think there has been a little manipulation by the media on this one.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 12:34   #35
FredGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
So true. But there needs to more of it.
A number of years back, I used to work in a job that took me into London's West End and out of twice a day. From my personal experience there seemed to be too much public transport. I'm not saying they don't do a good job, but when there are 2 or 3 buses sitting at the same stop and all with engines running and all with the same number, (so I assume all on the same route, and not one of them with more than about 10 passengers I always thought that aided the congestion & pollution issue. Also London cabs, the time they spend driving around the city empty just adds to the problem. I can only stress this is a personal view but with less cabs & busses traffic would flow better causing less congestion an thus less pollution.

Last edited by FredGraham; Apr 24th, 2019 at 12:40.
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredGraham For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 17:29   #36
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
Would you really want to drive your car into London even if there was no charge you still have to battle through the locals driving then pay £10 an hour to park?
Problem is we have a dog and visit friends who live in London. 5 days on street parking will be > £1,000 for a five day visit (and that's before you factor in Eurotunnel, fuel and meals out in London). It will be cheaper for me to pay them to fly over to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
They want you to take public transport..... The whole things a shambles, less cars means more planes. They’re on about extending Heathrow which means more planes and fumes drifting over London. There’s a lot of robbing Peter to pay Paul going on here. I wonder how much pollution the Eco demonstrations are producing?
Not sure what the public transport story is with the dog. He's a fairly content type when he's in the pack (of humans), Labradoodles are about a placid as they come even with the mental bit of Springer Spaniel he has in him, We've done overnight ferries from Europe to UK with him and he's OK with the pet hotel. Suspect train tickets for four + dog will probably run on street parking in London close.

Maybe there's an opening for satnav mapping? Diesel no go zones and ULEZ free driving.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 21:10   #37
Spike56
Master Member

The original congestion zone has a 'free' corridor through the middle. Does this also apply to the emission zone? And will the extended zone have one crossing in both north south and east west?
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 21:33   #38
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Well..

I don't really know about the corridor,but two or three days ago I paid a penalty..

What happened was: I approached the zone from north, in Marylebone area, with intention of just skimming the edge of the zone (remaining outside), but...

There were roadworks, and temporary sign "no right turn"
So I had to go straight.

On the next trafgic lights I was faced with a choice:
To go left, into a one-way against the traffic
To go straight into the zone
Or go right into the zone!

I went right, right again, left onto the road outside the zone (back onto my route)

I rang TFL within an hour of it happening.
They told me that

A) their cameras do NOT register reg plates... (Oh... And the sky is purple, isn't it?)
B) I won't be charged.

Few days later..

£80.

If I pay immediately.

Much more if I delay.

Nothing to do with emissions, as my car seems to comply with the standards. This was only for the C-charge.

But nevertheless.. I don't see their approach as "user friendly"..

Last edited by ThomasG; Apr 28th, 2019 at 21:36.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 23:07   #39
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

I honestly don't know how people can live and survive in London. An inept Mayor, sky rocketing knife crime, lack of services, lack of Police and to rub salt into the wounds, this new ULEZ. I live in Edinburgh and the bar stewards who run London have given the 'Clowncil' up here the idea of introducing something like this.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SignumGB For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2019, 14:34   #40
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Tyneside also.

Congestion charge zone for “Newcastle upon Tyne”, which, according to the available map seems to include parts of North Tyneside and Gateshead, has been floated. £12.50 per day. It appears to include a huge part of the surrounding residential areas and has been extended east along one of the major commuter routes from the huge residential areas nearer the coast. It will affect tens of thousands of people who live in the area or have to commute into it to work and the cost to them will be huge. We live about 10 miles outside it but any hospital visit will incur a charge. At our age hospital visits are a fact of life. Both my wife and daughter have Blue Badge disabled parking which now permits free parking at the hospitals but we don’t know whether these will offer any assistance with the congestion charge incurred actually travelling to said hospital. It smacks of a simple money making scheme playing lip service to the air pollution problem. A trip to Newcastle by car takes, on average about half an hour. By public transport it takes a minimum of an hour and a half. The public transport system is broken and has been for many years. A particular service is started one year, only to be axed when the “funding” disappears. A solution could be vast park and ride car parks outwith the zone, with electric shuttle buses but they would have to be very very secure parking or it would become a thieves paradise. Meanwhile they are continuing to build hundreds of non affordable housing all over the surrounding Green Belt land. I understand that Northumberland has already far exceeded it’s required number of new houses but they are sooooo expensive and the parking on the relevant estates is non existent as most of the occupants have to run two cars to commute. The occupants of those houses will doubtless need to work somewhere, probably in the Congestion Zone. We daily see reports of yet another developer beginning yet more house building but the infrastructure isn’t there. At our age it will not affect us too much longer, but I dispare for the younger folk.

Last edited by Ian21401; May 2nd, 2019 at 14:38. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: