Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 85268

Replies : 468

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2020, 16:42   #461
rafikield

Hi,

Finally, yesterday car went to dealer to do recall R29947 - related to the inlet manifold melting and fire risk. They were quite tight lipped about actual work done, but I managed to capture parts ordered for it.
Actually, at the same time, they did works for 2 recalls:
- R29947, with part no.: 31657526 (hose kit)
- R10011, with part no.: 31274900 (bleeder hose)
Whether will this bring any good or not, remains to be seen...
BR
rafikield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 21:32   #462
TheLopez

Thread revival!

I'm taking my car next week for this recall (only just bought the car. Previous owner had 3 recalls undone) and was wondering what people who had it recently got done?

Asking 'cause the recall notice they do just a software upgrade, but having just got an OBD dongle today i have stored DTC for related issues.

P20A00, P047100, and P241300, which relate to the intake manifold, pressue sensor and EGR

Likely they'll do just do a software upgrade as in the letter or they still changing EMAPs and cleaning soot as in the past judging by the posts here?
TheLopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 11:57   #463
10ZND

Default XC90 2016 caught fire after recall works

Dear Volvo owners,
I have read carefully this thread hoping that I will find information about cars that caught fire.
This is my unfortunate personal example – my XC90 MY October 2016 (motor type D4204T23) was recalled according to Volvo’s recommendations. The car had 65.035 km on board according to the dealer’s report (see attached).
I had the following messages on my dashboard: “verify coolant” – I stopped the car and added 0.75L of distilled water. It was the first time since I bought this car when this message appeared. And then, seconds before the car caught fire, while driving, I had this message: “engine reduced power”, managed to drive the car for 200-300m to park outside the road.
This all happened within 200km of driving on April 13. Then the incident happened. At 70.052 km, it caught fire while driving!
Volvo representatives performed a technical expertise and their findings are: no computers recordings related to the defaults I had on the dashboard of the car before the incident! Due to the fact that the evidence is destroyed, they cannot establish the cause of the fire. They also stated that since the recall was performed, the cause of the fire cannot be linked to the intake manifold, EGR and hoses.
My research shows that there are similar situations all around the world, different models with similar engine.
For me it’s hard to understand why there is no information regarding these cars that caught fire.
If you know similar situations and what caused them, I would be very thankful.
10ZND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 11:30   #464
FoxSteve

I had this software done a few weeks ago, and was driving away from the main dealers, about half a mile down the road, I got a message saying I had reduced engine power. I turned round and returned to the dealers.

They said the issue was caused by a blocked pipe and could change it there and then for £90. I asked them to go ahead. A couple of hours or so later, they said there was a bolt they couldn't undo and would just clean the pipe out. Then had the cheek to ask for £72.

I drove home with no issues, but next time I took the car out, the same message of reduced engine power. The main dealers dont want to know. I took the car to the mechanic who does my repairs, he said his meter was showing a fault with the egr and air flow. Looking at the messages on here, this would probably have been caused by the software.

It seems daft, drive into the main dealers with a car working perfectly, drive out with a faulty car. Any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated
FoxSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 15:48   #465
jneish

Default Shame on Volvo, Shame on main dealer

I took my 2015 V60 D4 VEA for the melting plastic inlet manifold recall. The car was apparently working fine with no warnings. The main dealer told me an ECM software update had been performed. On the way home up came the check engine lamp. So back to the main dealer. "Yes sir, shall we book it in for diagnostics, that will be £100" (and loads more to actually fix it). Not likely I thought, as they apparently broke it. So after a little more coaxing and unofficially off the record they admitted that the software update had probably adjusted various thresholds so that my engine was now deemed to be in error. Both they and Volvo must have know that this was a likely outcome of the software upgrade - so shame on both.

Anyway how to fix my car without spending £1000s at Volvo?
So the first stop seemed to be my usual mechanic to see which fault codes were present. This produced fault code P04D9 Closed loop for EGR, limit reached - low flow detected. Which in English means the EGR is bunged-up with soot or jammed. My mechanic showed me a video of a very nice Polish? mechanic fixing the problem, thanks to him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zz6qefBV08
So easy I even considered doing it myself but thought better let the expert do it. A little while later, with the EGR dismantled the problem was revealed, the EGR cooler was completely blocked with soot. At this point Volvo would want £100s for a replacement cooler, but as in the video my mechanic cleaned the cooler back to shiny. The rest of the EGR and pipes all got checked and cleaned too. So with the car reassembled and the fault code cleared was the car fixed? Yes, for a short while, then the next problem.

The next problem was a slight engine shudder at low revs in 2nd and 3rd gears. Then the message "Reduced engine performance" with a picture of a tortoise. So back to my mechanic for more fault code reading. This time it was P00BC low MAF (Mass Air Flow). Which in English means not enough air being drawn into the engine. All the airways were checked and found to be clear. A very sooty sensor on the inlet manifold was cleaned. At this point having read other threads the MAF sensor is changed (more than £100), however after live monitored of the MAF sensor my mechanic didn't think this was the problem. Instead other threads were suggesting a fault with the exhaust pressure sensor. We came up with the theory that the pressure sensor was reading low, so the EGR was going wide open to get enough inert gas. With the EGR now clean, exhaust gas was able to flood in causing the shudder and displacing the air flow. The exhaust pressure sensor is at the end of a 30cm pipe bolted on to the exhaust manifold with a 14mm banjo bolt. Groaning from the mechanic because access behind the engine is difficult but after a while off came the pipe and sensor. At this point Volvo would want £100s for a replacement pipe and sensor. However my mechanic thought it worth checking the pipe for blockages. The sensor can be removed from the pipe with a deep 27mm socket. This leaves a pipe with both ends open, indeed it was blocked solid, nothing could be blown through. As the pipe was stripped to only metal then very aggressive de-blocking techniques were used and after a lot of huffing and puffing the pipe was unblocked. More groaning at reassembly but that's it, the car is fixed.

So thanks to this forum for hints and to the nice mechanics who are kind enough to help rather than just milk you for money. Please message me for further info or clarification if required. I'm located in Peterborough.
jneish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jneish For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 15:24   #466
VolvoV60 D4 2016UK

Default Intake valve / manifold problems

Hi all

Reading through some of the posts above my problem belongs to this thread.
It seems Volvo takes no responsibility on this problem and I will have to accept my 5 years old V60 D4 became a scrap after 115K miles. I am putting this here for the record only anyway.
I am the second owner and the manifold recall has been done before i bought the car a year ago. Since then it drove 20.000 miles with no problem until recently the urgent engine service lit up on the dashboard. Car drives just fine, by the way.
Booked it to local Volvo garage and was told the inlet valve leaks and needs replacing along with the inlet manifold for the cost of £3,800, if not done then there is a risk of fire..
Now, this amount is more then half of the car's value so it don't seem to worth it, especially after reading a bit above it and it seems it wouldn't guarantee sorting the problem, or am I wrong with this assumption?

I would appreciate any opinions.

with thanks
VolvoV60 D4 2016UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 17:53   #467
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoV60 D4 2016UK View Post
Hi all

Reading through some of the posts above my problem belongs to this thread.
It seems Volvo takes no responsibility on this problem and I will have to accept my 5 years old V60 D4 became a scrap after 115K miles. I am putting this here for the record only anyway.
I am the second owner and the manifold recall has been done before i bought the car a year ago. Since then it drove 20.000 miles with no problem until recently the urgent engine service lit up on the dashboard. Car drives just fine, by the way.
Booked it to local Volvo garage and was told the inlet valve leaks and needs replacing along with the inlet manifold for the cost of £3,800, if not done then there is a risk of fire..
Now, this amount is more then half of the car's value so it don't seem to worth it, especially after reading a bit above it and it seems it wouldn't guarantee sorting the problem, or am I wrong with this assumption?

I would appreciate any opinions.

with thanks
Have Volvo UK been asked to make a goodwill contribution? I've found it helps enormously to have the dealer on your side before you contact them, as they will fight a joint battle with you.

Failing that, I don't see why the intake manifold couldn't be removed and the soot build-up around the valve stem and port carefully removed. However I can't imagine a Volvo dealer doing this.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 00:11   #468
akraf

Well, now its my turn
P2df000
P341800

Error codes.

Egr and egr cooler is new.
Taking it to an Indy to try clean the intake and intake valves as much as possible without taking the cylinder head of.

How did you guys resolve this issue?
akraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 17:40   #469
Niilo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraf View Post
Well, now its my turn
P2df000
P341800

Error codes.

Egr and egr cooler is new.
Taking it to an Indy to try clean the intake and intake valves as much as possible without taking the cylinder head of.

How did you guys resolve this issue?
Did you find the solution? Was it caused by leaking intake valves and if so, how was it repaired?
Niilo22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4