Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Powershift problem

Views : 16051

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2014, 21:06   #41
SonyVaio
VOC Member

This sounds like it could be a number of things but the first things I'd get checked out are:
  • Wiggle the body loom by the OSF headlamp, this can chaff and cause electrical issues with grounding.
  • Check negative earth wires all round engine bay and clean / replace as required.
  • The battery - conduct comprehensive check, take off fully charge / replace if necessary.
  • The CEM, remove, clean connections, replace, ensure plugs are LOCKED back into place.
  • Crank sensor, if this is dodgy it will your type of problems.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 17:39   #42
eurocrat

Unhappy Update on powershift story

Remember I posted details of my saga with the powershift gearbox in Feb, 2013. I neglected to come back with the follow-up ...

I did write to Volvo Sweden, documenting the whole episode and claiming some financial compensation for this unreasonable and dramatic component failure.

To give them credit they agreed to stump up about 50% of the bill (and have since paid this). This was in view of the low mileage (~50,000km). I ran this by a civil claims lawyer friend who advised to settle on this, since - at 3.5 years - the car was out of warranty and Volvo had no legal obligation to pay anything. I think this was a reasonable gesture although I am still staggered by their statement that "they've never heard of a similar case".

Anyway, the car still runs at 90,000km and counting although the gear changes are still juddery, the exhaust produces puffs of smoke on acceleration and I am starting to hear suspicious whining notes from the turbo. In the last year, I have had the alternator pack up and requiring replacement (it took the battery with it), one of the rear LED light packs gave up the ghost (do you know how much those things cost to replace!) an HID lamp failed, wheel bolt sheared off and the leather surface is breaking down on the expensive electric seats. Add to all this a rather mediocre fuel economy despite being carefully driven and you may not be surprised to hear that this will be my first - and last - Volvo.
eurocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 17:51   #43
eurocrat

Check my "powershift breakdown" saga posted elsewhere. The whole problem appeared 1 day after the 50,000km service of the gearbox - end result was a complete gearbox change costing the thick end of €5,000.

The powershift gearbox sounded like a great idea; however it is not properly understood by Volvo (bought-in from Ford) and I believe is just a ticking time bomb in your car. Avoid like the plague!
eurocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 17:13   #44
iadom

A brief update, almost 18 months since I had the problem with my auto box it is still running perfectly since the missed oil & filter change was done.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 18:21   #45
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
A brief update, almost 18 months since I had the problem with my auto box it is still running perfectly since the missed oil & filter change was done.
Thanks for letting us all know how vital these oil changes are . It is not optional to have the oil and filter changed on the 50000 mile /4th year service , it is mandatory and part of the service despite what anyone at a booking desk may say .
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 18:23   #46
danny82

I had similar issues many are describing. Car was searching between gears a lot, changing up at high revs, judder under load etc. Bristol transmissions see a lot of these with ford galaxy especially and their tech took a look at mine. I've added his response below.

Quote:
Hi, our tech has checked out your Volvo v50. He feels there is an internal issue with the coast clutch assembly, which would entail the remove & strip of the mps6 transmission, & replacement of the coast clutch assembly, speed sensor & filters. The estimated cost to do this would be £1850 + vat. This cost does not include the mechatronic unit assembly which has been known to be required also.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 20:03   #47
iadom

Well as it is almost 12 months since my last post I can confirm that my car is still running as sweet as the proverbial nut, gear changes as smooth as ever.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iadom For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 08:27   #48
ronell

Exclamation

Hey there!

I'm jumping in this topic with a powershift issue of my own. I have A V50, 2009, powershift transmission, 2.0D, 136HP, aprox. 117 647 mileage.

The problem is that sometimes it kicks really hard (sometimes lighter) and the car shakes when shifting down from 3rd gear to the 2nd, either when applying the brakes, or just let it slow down on its own. Also, when shifting up from 1st to 2nd, and the car is cold, I hear a clunk, which I also feel in the accelerator pedal. After it gets warmer, this clunk is gone. Other gears are working fine.

Oil and filter were changed about 6000 miles ago, but I am not sure how correctly that was made, although it was made by Volvo dealer in the town.

Anyone has any idea what might happen? I want to get it fixed if possible, before it gets worse.

Thanks.
ronell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 09:43   #49
Bungo
Premier Member

First thought would be dmf but as this is only happening in specific gears then I doubt it.
They have a twin clutch system, (one for odd gears and one for even). As yours is happening between odd and even then I doubt it's one of the clutches.
As Volvo did a recent oil change and you are not getting any overheating message on dash that cancels out that as the problem.
This leaves an internal problem with the gearbox itself, sorry to say.
As you may well know, these are complex boxes and never a cheap fix.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 09:55   #50
ronell

Thanks.

Indeed I know it's a pain to fix, that's why I hope to fix it before it gets worse. I have no overheating messages as you correctly supposed. If it helps for more info, that down-shift kick was not present before the last oil change. Just the clunk was, but different, much lighter, and right at the gear change. Now it clunks harder and a few seconds after the up-shift.
ronell is offline   Reply With Quote