Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1068778

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2018, 19:27   #12731
canis
Non Fragile

Man, those coil springs were ruined! I've swapped them with the suspension from the 1600 on both sides now. The shock absorbers are a lot bigger on the T4 though. Are these nivomat thingies?

They must be twice as wide. Shame they're leaking. And they stink too. I know it's a crappy image, but does anyone recognise these shocks?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 00:24   #12732
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The SE is unwell, unsure if it's down on power or not with the foot down or if it's just slow as I'm still partially still used to the t4, in certain situations, particularly with small throttle openings or when backing off the throttle in order to maintain or even drop a little speed it buggers about like it contains kangaroo petrol, juddery as hell, and the EML is on, I'll blast the MAF with some contact cleaner and then off to work to grab the scanner in the morning, and probably Halfords for a fuel filter and plugs, as it needs those anyway.
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 06:40   #12733
canis
Non Fragile

Don't get to use the turbo much. Most of the time it pootles about town barely raising a sweat. I'm hardly ever even up to 3000rpm. 60mph on the motorway and it's barely ticking-over.
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 08:36   #12734
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Looking at those shocks canis I'd say they are nivomats, as you say much wider than regular shocks are, and I miss having a turbo, I need to find the motivation to start getting bits off the t4 in prep for the engine coming out, it's just that I'm outside with the car and where we live always seems to get a deathly breath of freezing wind when it's chilly, which is all the time lol
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 10:59   #12735
V40T4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Man, those coil springs were ruined! I've swapped them with the suspension from the 1600 on both sides now. The shock absorbers are a lot bigger on the T4 though. Are these nivomat thingies?

They must be twice as wide. Shame they're leaking. And they stink too. I know it's a crappy image, but does anyone recognise these shocks?
Hi, looks like original shocks, if so they are Monroe.
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 14:30   #12736
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Went to work, scanner showed a p0102 code, mass or volume air flow A circuit low, whatever that means, so cleaned the MAF, reset the light and back to normal, Halfords then told me that the plugs for my car weren't in stock and that the cheapest ones were something silly like £9 each, no thanks, so I went up to their standard copper spark plugs shelf and cross referenced the heat range, thread size and length just as I have before as I prefer regular plugs to iridium or whatever the dear ones are, Bosch super plus FR7DC+ was the outcome, £14 for the set, much more like it, stuck them in and she runs much much better, smoother and feels a little faster as well, I'll chalk this up as a success.
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 18:30   #12737
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Bosch super plus FR7DC+ was the outcome, £14 for the set
Good work, Clarkey. I need some soon too, so I'm much obliged for your investigative powers.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 10:42   #12738
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
The SE is unwell, unsure if it's down on power or not with the foot down or if it's just slow as I'm still partially still used to the t4, in certain situations, particularly with small throttle openings or when backing off the throttle in order to maintain or even drop a little speed it buggers about like it contains kangaroo petrol, juddery as hell, and the EML is on, I'll blast the MAF with some contact cleaner and then off to work to grab the scanner in the morning, and probably Halfords for a fuel filter and plugs, as it needs those anyway.
Check the coolant temperature sensor. It is a bit old school but can cause weirdness. Of course it is a petrol so it could be plugs, leads, coil packs, lambda, throttle body, vacuum leak, cam sensor, crank sensor, magic pixie deficiency...

Edit: Should read to the bottom of the page I guess.
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 19:42   #12739
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Cheers Bob, the contact cleanef MAF blast and new plugs appears to have cured it

Today I bought the bulbs for the headlight switch and heater panel, must be a weak spot on these as all 3 cars have had totally dead headlight switch bulbs, no idea why Volvo state 2 different part numbers for the heater panel and light switch bulbs because the shorter style for the light switch fit both positions, pack of 10 llb286tfb1 ring automotive equivalent (the nber is the Lucas part number) 10 cost me £7.30, that'll do me, wouldn't get one gen Volvo bulb for that.

Also found a little bargain when I got the spark plugs from Halfords the other day, in their clearance bulb bin were the little tail bulbs the v40s take, pairs of Bosch ones for a pound, grabbed 4 pairs as that's another thing these seem to eat, I don't think I have ever seen another V40 with all 4 working.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Nov 8th, 2018 at 20:27.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 14:03   #12740
oliverpervasive

Default v40 wiper blades - reuse for headlamps

OK so not the most exciting mechanical topic but has a twist.

I changed my windscreen wipers for a pair of bosch ones on bargain from Eurofarts as I had mangled one by leaving it up after a wash and then popping my bonnet.

Then I looked at the headlight wiper blades and they look a bit torn at ends - so I ve pulled the rubber/wire bits out of the old windscreen wipers and now trying to insert them into the headlight wiper brackets.

Think Xmas must be here already as Mr Scrooge just saved himself a few quid.
Anyone else tried this?
oliverpervasive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage