Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1068819

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2015, 08:04   #7771
Spetsnaz GSh
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
When were your drop links last done? Clanking sounds more like a drop link to me (and much cheaper/easier than a strut mount).
sounds true enough - the strut mount may just be the start but you can tell the shock is not sitting as "true" as the other side so he said the mount is the first place.

I'll suggest drop links if that doesn't fix it though!

thanks!

2003 Volvo S40 T4 Sport
Anthracite Arcadias - OEM Strut Brace - Full 3" Exhaust System & 200 Cell Cat - Ashok's Custom Remap (1.35bar) - Earl's Performance Turbo Oil Feed - Ph1 Air Deflection Trims - Business Pack - Winter Pack - HID Xenon Headlamps
Spetsnaz GSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 08:47   #7772
happy diver
Active Member Moment

So when the airconditioning condensate drains into the sound proofing and rusts out the firewall

Oh that's right, you don't need air conditioning and your cars are rusted out anyway

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 11:27   #7773
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetsnaz GSh View Post
sounds true enough - the strut mount may just be the start but you can tell the shock is not sitting as "true" as the other side so he said the mount is the first place.

I'll suggest drop links if that doesn't fix it though!
If the mount is off-centre, then yes it needs replacing asap, but I think it only fails MOT if it starts clunking, and even then I'm not sure if it's a fail or an advisory, as it's not dangerous, just annoying.

The only sensible reasons to do one top mount and not the other at the same time, is if one has already been replaced, or you're trying to keep immediate costs down. If one's gone, the other is likely to be on the way out soon enough. Genuine Volvo mounts should last 200K easily and the parts are inexpensive (£50 a pop for gen and maybe less for OEM) but the labour is costly (maybe 2hrs a side)

Bear in mind after any suspension work you'll want to get your alignment/tracking checked. It's probably quite a bit out anyway, if the top mount was loose.

To be honest you may as well change the drop links anyway, £25 a pair for Meyle HD from eBay, and it won't cost anything extra to fit them as they have to come off to dismantle the leg.

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 11th, 2015 at 11:30.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 11:32   #7774
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I plugged in the Latvian DICE, and it lit up and started flashing, the supplied VIDA software works fine on the supplied Windows 7 VM, but my Win7 and Win8 laptops don't recognise the DICE via USB

I really hope I don't have to faff about returning it and that there's an easy fix for all this, such as installing drivers for it in Windows.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 13:03   #7775
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

Took it for the MOT this morning..........................................a nd passed! 222319 miles and counting. Now I can enjoy the rest of my week off lol.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Darlo 1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 14:38   #7776
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlo 1 View Post
Took it for the MOT this morning..........................................a nd passed! 222319 miles and counting. Now I can enjoy the rest of my week off lol.
Well done darlo it bodes well for me everyone is passing let the luck of the x40 Be bestowed on me. I've gone through what I can, I'm amazed I'm still on the original cv boots and bottom ball joints lol
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 15:06   #7777
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Well done darlo it bodes well for me everyone is passing let the luck of the x40 Be bestowed on me. I've gone through what I can, I'm amazed I'm still on the original cv boots and bottom ball joints lol
So is mine, had a couple of advisories, rear pads low and rear brake fluctuating, but seeing as the rear discs look like the origionals I can't complain, also drivers seat belt slightly frayed and n/s outer cv boot has a pin prick nick in it.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darlo 1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 16:56   #7778
Bawls

Listened to the wife complain about the throttle cable being "gummy!" I've tried adding lubricant to both ends but still "gummy!" Guess I'll be replacing it soon.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 17:09   #7779
GaryS40
VOC Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawls View Post
Listened to the wife complain about the throttle cable being "gummy!" I've tried adding lubricant to both ends but still "gummy!" Guess I'll be replacing it soon.
Not had the wife mention a 'gummy' for ages!

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 17:35   #7780
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I can think of better reasons to replace your wife, but moaning about your Volvo is pretty serious.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage