Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fuel consumption

Views : 1261

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2007, 18:13   #11
laurence

Cool

I would consider two options ,pop into you nearest garage and get them to do an emisions test to see if the mixture of the car is right,this will also test the lambda sensor and give you an idea of which way to go.
secondly run the car up to temprature and see where your temp gauge is reading on idle and when moving if it is below half way renew the thermostat this will make a big difference.
laurence
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 15:34   #12
keithyboy
Master Member

You need to work out what it's doing to the gallon before you do anything. An S40 is a bit car for a 1.6 litre engine to lug about. My experience with other cars (most notably Sierras) is that 2.0 injected ones do loads more mpg than smaller carb fed ones if driven sensibly. Our 1.8 GDi averages about 38 on a roughly 50/50 split between urban and motorway use.

If you have got a problem, the spark plugs are a decent starting point. Leave it to cool down after a decent run athen have a look at one. Black and sooty suggests a fuel problem.
keithyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 20:52   #13
kdb

Hi Guys,
My 1999 was running rich (I could see soot in exhaust) So I give it a service followed by a much dreaded MOT which she sailed through. When I asked the mech., about the mixture he said its fine other wise it wouldn't have past the emissions test. Having done all that I checked the exhaust a few weeks on and it is burning a nice grey colour and I could be wrong but I don't think the fuel gauge is going down as fast.
Have a great Christmas Guys
Darryl
kdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:31   #14
gnhuk
Balding.............

Replaced the thermostat (again, again) yesterday as my feet were not getting really warm - however the gauge was only a gnats away from 3 o'clock - but a new 'stat' has made me have really toasted feet - don't always believe the gauge.

The less said about discovering I needed tyres all round (only expected two) the better
Bl**dy tracking *again*
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:54   #15
jimathan

try this, it may help
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=49683
jimathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 18:56   #16
ash

really stupid question, but where is the thermostat located on the 1600cc V40 (2001)

Also my wipers are playing up, the rears dont work att all and the front only work on fast, do i need a new wash wipe stalk?? or can the same one be repaired by myself??

Thank you for any answers!!
ash is offline   Reply With Quote