Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help I've Been Immobilised !!

Views : 2229

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 20:46   #1
Bigdogcasa

Unhappy Help I've Been Immobilised !!

Out dropping off something and locked my 96 440 1.8ES using the fob. Came back fob did not unlock the car so had to use key. Then found car would not start and assume immobiliser has not been disengaged. Could this be because fob batteries are goosed ? Do they just go dead with no warning ? The key still operates the central locking and power seems ok through lights etc so do not think it is flat car battery. Help !!! I am a very new Volvo owner and do not have a 440 manual to look up as previous owner has not passed them on.
Bigdogcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 21:28   #2
jose440si

try new batteries in the fob, not too sure if unlocking the door with the key disarms the immobilizer or not!
jose440si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 21:32   #3
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

It was my understanding that the immobiliser and alarm are separate entities? The immobiliser, certainly on later cars, is controlled by a chip in the key, the remote fob only disarms the alarm?
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 22:05   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunchukhamster View Post
It was my understanding that the immobiliser and alarm are separate entities? The immobiliser, certainly on later cars, is controlled by a chip in the key, the remote fob only disarms the alarm?
Thats true of all the other models except the 400 !
The alarm remote activates and de-activates the immobiliser .
If the new battery doesnt help then remove the battery press a remote button for a few seconds and re fit the battery , if still no luck hold the remote unlock button down for 10 seconds or so .. failing that the odds are the Keyless entry module is gone faulty , quite expensive to repair ... You do have a second remote to try of course ? This is Vital with this system .
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:49   #5
Bigdogcasa

Default No second remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Thats true of all the other models except the 400 !
The alarm remote activates and de-activates the immobiliser .
If the new battery doesnt help then remove the battery press a remote button for a few seconds and re fit the battery , if still no luck hold the remote unlock button down for 10 seconds or so .. failing that the odds are the Keyless entry module is gone faulty , quite expensive to repair ... You do have a second remote to try of course ? This is Vital with this system .
Just had the car a few weeks and only got the one with the car. Can you pick these up second hand?
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:51   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Yes you can use a second hand one but needs programming in ... Can be done without going to the dealer too , with a lot of button pressing on the diagnostic socket .....
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 13:47   #7
Bigdogcasa

Smile Immobilised no more !!

Well after taking out the batteries then pushing lock and unlock together for 5 seconds, then refitting batteries, it was back in action again . Thanks to all for your help.

Any idea what causes this problem?
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 14:03   #8
AndyPants
VOC Member

The key with my car only unlocks the car, the immobiliser is still armed and the car will not start until the car is 'unlocked' using the fob. Sorry to hear you had a problem with yours, its something I've always been worried about! I've now finally found some replacement batteries and keep them in my glove box in case of this ever happens

My immobiliser also likes to activate itself after 2 minutes when the ignition has been turned off regardless of whether the car is then locked or not. A bit annoying at railway crossings...
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 16:10   #9
Bigdogcasa

Default Spare batteries good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPants View Post
The key with my car only unlocks the car, the immobiliser is still armed and the car will not start until the car is 'unlocked' using the fob. Sorry to hear you had a problem with yours, its something I've always been worried about! I've now finally found some replacement batteries and keep them in my glove box in case of this ever happens

My immobiliser also likes to activate itself after 2 minutes when the ignition has been turned off regardless of whether the car is then locked or not. A bit annoying at railway crossings...
Yup think I will invest in two spare batteries as well.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 20:57   #10
Bigdogcasa

Question Diagnostic socket ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes you can use a second hand one but needs programming in ... Can be done without going to the dealer too , with a lot of button pressing on the diagnostic socket .....
Where can I find this, and what is the score regards button pressing?
Sorry for what must seem like dumb questions but very new to Volvo and no manual yet.