Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Grab a Boobie im a Newbie.....440 TURBO

Views : 1998

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 00:10   #1
Torque of the Town

Talking Grab a Boobie im a Newbie.....440 TURBO

Hi all,

As you can see im new, and have recently purchased a Clio with a 440 1.7l Turbo conversion and a few mods' (front mount intercooler, induction kit....)
Being a member on many other ownes clubs/websites (i own afew other cars). Iv popped over here for some advice/tips

Now, what can you tell me about this type of engine? i.e. Performance standered to maximum....reliability....servicible/easy or hard.....prices for parts.....what to check/do first.....etc etc etc etc

At the moment i have a noisy release bearing, a leaky radiator and a couple of perished hoses which need changing soon.

I will be honest with you, i dont know to much about Volvo engines, so im hoping to Learn and take on as much information and advice as possible, So fire away?!

Thanks
Torque of the Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 13:08   #2
Torque of the Town

Bump
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 14:07   #3
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Sorry i dont know bugger all about 440's, let along the engines being dumped in a clio....however as a new member you get a Welcome from me...
Cheers
Jod
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 16:43   #4
B20F
Master Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!
First it's not a Volvo engine but a Renault engine from origan. Renault used it in the clio, laguna, R5 .Volvo had the inlet and turbo tuned by Porsche because they lacked the expertise. Porsche tuned it to something like 170hp which Volvo thought of as too much. This was because Volvo is not a name associated with sportcars but with safety. So they de-tuned it to 120hp. Those engines can handle something like 200-220hp without any trouble or modifications. There is on this forum a guy who can deliver you a richmod ECU which delivers 170hp without any further modifications. The brakes are a weakpoint though, can't really cope with those powers. The clutch is not an easy job, you have to or lower the subframe or hoist the engine out. In both cases a lot of work. Clutches are about €130. Use a Volvo one, these are also used in the clio turbo as an upgrade. Another weakpoint are the engine mounts. Expensive and a lot of work to change. Also check the subframe, these are prone to rust through. Another pain in the ass is rough idle, gives you always trouble. Could be caused by perished hoses, and there are a lot of them, bad or dirty idle controle valve, bad MAP or detuned MAF sensor. A new radiator will set you back around 90 pounds. For parts this is a very reasonably priced site:
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...h=2_25_228_443

Last edited by B20F; Aug 21st, 2008 at 16:49.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 20:05   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

The engine may be able to produce 170 bhp but the safe limit of the already strengthed transaxle over the normal 440 is 155 bhp .
The standard engine can easily have the boost raised to just under the 13 psi safety cut off point and produce about 150 bhp ... this transorms a 440 Turbo so should have similar results in your Clio ..
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 00:46   #6
bkf_uk
440 Turbo Newbie

Would say that a 440t is able to cope with 170bhp myself (richmod power) however an auto cant take that power (found out myself by blowing the same inner cv joint 3 times now) but a manual will take it, however your brakes will need uprating and i would suggest getting a front splitter to get the front end down. the lift on the front end under hard acceleration is unbearable.
bkf_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 18:18   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

The 440 Turbo and 440 2 litre really NEED heavily uprated front suspension dampers that lift is completely eliminated and makes for a much more pleasant car to drive ..
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 22:03   #8
AndyPants
VOC Member

I can believe it, even in my 1.6 the front seems to pick up some times when pulling out've junctions fast (usually on inclines).

Wish mine was a turbo or 2 litre
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 18:22   #9
Torque of the Town

Talking

Thank you for the Replys all, Whilst browsing the wonderfull eBay, i came across this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-400-440-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Whats your views? 50bhp?.....How much do theys go for? or would it be worth/cheaer getting mine unlocked?.....dunno how much they go for so i dont know.

Also, Do any of the other Volvo models parts fit the 440 1.7 Turbo? or other Manuafacturer's parts for turbo upgrades etc?

Im going to go over the engine bay tomorrow if i manage to get some time, and write up a 'To Do / Require' List.
I will keep you informed?!

Thanks

Last edited by Torque of the Town; Aug 28th, 2008 at 18:28.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 22:26   #10
bkf_uk
440 Turbo Newbie

Ok atm the price of the ecu on ebay is good but wont stay at that for long, the mod costs £80 (if you read another post on the forum you would see that i am able to get this done for people)

A gain of 50bhp, yep can vouch for that, have the mod in my 440 turbo and it goes like stink! only volvo 400 series parts fit the volvo 400 series, some odd renault bits MAY fit the engine, as the B18FT engine is based on a renault F series block, but has been modifyed by porshce for volvo.

also with the engine there are 5 types of ECU for them, they are identifyed by the colour of the stickers on them. so if your engine was from an earlier turbo it will probably have a orange ecu. however the Blue ecu's are from 94+ turbos.

the diffrent ecus CAN NOT be mixed as the car will not run properly, so before going for the ebay ecu make sure you check which ecu you have. and if you havent got a blue ecu give me a shout and we can sort out getting your ecu modded!

Regards
Bryan
bkf_uk is offline   Reply With Quote