Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nivomat self-levelling rear shock absorbers

Views : 5158

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:52   #41
apersson850
Premier Member

Nivomat is not required just because you have Xenon lights. Leveling of the lights is, that's correct, but Volvo's standard solution to that is just what I wrote, i.e. leveling of the lights, not of the car. Cars equipped with Xenon lights have ride height sensors on the rear and front right wheel suspensions. These sensors give signals to the light control system, which will move the lamps themselves up or down as required. This system is much faster than the Nivomat. It's actually so fast that it sometimes adjusts the lights during the time you apply the brakes and the front dips a bit because of that.

My car has this system, as it has Xenon lights from factory, but it also has Nivomat, to make it work better when towing etc. Nivomat is an add-on I ordered when I bought the car.
Nivomat is indeed driven by the movements of the suspension, so it doesn't regulate ride height when at standstill. Thus your car looks just as bad as any right after loading it, but already after 500 m most of that's gone. When you lift it, then put it down, all cars will look high untill they roll a few meters. But that's because the wheels move sideways somewhat when the suspension goes from normal to no load. When the car isn't moving, the requirement to move sideways somewhat to get back to normal height is prevented, so it will sit higher than normal until you roll somewhat.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:58   #42
Tatsfield
Premier Member

It wouldn't make sense to try to instantaneously level 2 t of steel car when you could level 200 g of plastic lamps! Levelling the lamps is the bane of retro HID fitting, which is why almost all retro fitted HID systems are strictly illegal.

Last edited by Tatsfield; May 23rd, 2018 at 09:14.
Tatsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 23:45   #43
Cubbington

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Nivomat is not required just because you have Xenon lights. Leveling of the lights is, that's correct, but Volvo's standard solution to that is just what I wrote, i.e. leveling of the lights, not of the car. Cars equipped with Xenon lights have ride height sensors on the rear and front right wheel suspensions. These sensors give signals to the light control system, which will move the lamps themselves up or down as required. This system is much faster than the Nivomat. It's actually so fast that it sometimes adjusts the lights during the time you apply the brakes and the front dips a bit because of that.

My car has this system, as it has Xenon lights from factory, but it also has Nivomat, to make it work better when towing etc. Nivomat is an add-on I ordered when I bought the car.
Nivomat is indeed driven by the movements of the suspension, so it doesn't regulate ride height when at standstill. Thus your car looks just as bad as any right after loading it, but already after 500 m most of that's gone. When you lift it, then put it down, all cars will look high untill they roll a few meters. But that's because the wheels move sideways somewhat when the suspension goes from normal to no load. When the car isn't moving, the requirement to move sideways somewhat to get back to normal height is prevented, so it will sit higher than normal until you roll somewhat.
Thanks for the reply, and yep, fully understand that the car rises and levels itself when driving, but what I was trying to say that after parking up, the car’s still sitting lower than normal. The self-levelling system on the lights is compensating (Tatsfield, mine has factory fitted Xenons, not aftermarket HID, which is what my previous post may have led you to think), so I’ve not been dazzling anyone.

With regards to putting it back down after removing a wheel, it sits way higher than a normally sprung car would, so guess mine has Nivomats.

So hopefully with that cleared up, should I expect it to sit lower than normal with a heavy load and after a long drive? I unloaded it earlier, and it’s definitely sitting an inch or so higher, and back to normal.

Cheers,

Nick
Cubbington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 16:39   #44
apersson850
Premier Member

With leveling, it shouldn't be noticeably lower after a drive, even with a load (within the car's specifications). Mine isn't. But if there's a slight leak, it will sink over time, if loaded and immobile.

All cars sit high after lowering them, as the wheel has to shift sideways to allow the spring to contract. The leveling system may rise somewhat, but normally doesn't change much when it's not frequently pumping up and down.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 17:04   #45
Simmy
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbington View Post
Thanks chaps, but that's my concern; I'd driven about 10 miles to the tip on Saturday and the car was low, and I've driven 285 miles today, and it's low.

Does it 'sag' when you stop?

And yep, mine's got HID's and the level's looked fine with the self-levelling today, no flashes from other drivers.

Just feeling a little sensitive after the recent electrical problems (had a couple of other weird gremlins over the past couple of days too), and now finding new discs and pads needed, and gearbox starting to get a bit clunky...I reckon I'm in for some expense soon, and would rather not need new rear shocks too!

And please don't take that as a typical forum "This car's crap!" comment, it's just an older car that's ticked over 100k, so kinda expecting things to start cropping up, but I still love it!

Thanks,

Nick
100k just run in then loads of life left in your car . mine 214 k runs like a clockwork mouse .just keep driving
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2018, 09:12   #46
Cubbington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
100k just run in then loads of life left in your car . mine 214 k runs like a clockwork mouse .just keep driving
Hah!

Yeah, I intend on keeping this wagon for a good few miles yet, just getting ready for some bills in the near future.

Did just under 900 miles this week, with an 8.5 hour journey back down south on Friday and was very grateful of the comfort of this beast!

Cheers,

Nick
Cubbington is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cubbington For This Useful Post: