Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake problem - sometimes hard pedal

Views : 3997

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2018, 00:13   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy93 View Post
Hi

Been having some issues with the brakes on my 2002 S40 T4 recently. I have had a search through the forum for similar issues, but nothing I can find quite the same.

The issue - For a while now, the brake pedal has been very high and hard. Very little travel, and it feels like you have to really put in the effort and that the braking power is reduced and the car takes longer to stop. Other times the pedal feels more normal, in that there is more travel and more progressive braking.

When there is longer travel on the pedal, at times it feels like there is a notch half way down where there is some resistance, and this then gives way.

Also, a few times, when the pedal has been really hard, and have been braking, the pedal has then given, and dropped all of a sudden.

I have done the standard test to check the servo, pump a few times with engine off and the pedal is firm (not many/any pumps required), and then with foot on the pedal start the engine and the pedal drops.

Its a little worrying as its not all the time, so you are never sure how the brakes are going to perform. For example, on a longish journey yesterday, they were fine to start out with, a couple of times along the journey the pedal was very hard and required a lot of effort to stop the car, then it was back to normal, and then towards the end of the journey, had the pedal being firm then dropped after a bit of pressure was put on it.

I have had all the wheels of and had a visual inspection of the discs and pads, and can see nothing out of the ordinary or uneven wear. All the pads and discs were replaced about 18 months ago.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm leaning towards intermittent servo performance myself, but am interested in others views before I source a replacement for this

Cheers

Jon
most likely the auxiliary electric vacuum pump mounted behind the left front wheel arch liner .. there was a recall way back but probably still active ..

Tags
brakes