Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo p1800e

Views : 934

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2018, 12:39   #1
vacmad
leec

Default Volvo p1800e

Think I've killed it not run now for 6 months.

Long story converted to Elec ignition. Wouldn't start so swap back here were it all went wrong wired wrong and burnt out the points in haste to get back running.

Ok got another elec ignition kit fitted fine and now starts but keeps fouling the plugs up. The same happens converting back to points again.

Now had new coil set the timing. Still the same.

What is strange I check the oil and is was well over full and smelt of petrol looks like petrol is pouring into the oil and still fouling the plugs up.

Drain the oil all fresh but no difference.

What have I done

Doing comp test today.
vacmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 12:59   #2
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Wrong tree

Maybe it's a fueling problem rather than the ignition. Filling the sump with fuel sounds like gross over-rich or something simply pouring fuel into the engine.
If the ignition is faulty it would probably lead to wet plugs that smell of fuel.
If the plugs were fouled with black powder and looked dry then the ignition is working but the fuel mixture is much too rich. This could be due to a leaking injector or the cold start injector staying open. If the fuel input is catastrophically over-rich then the plugs could also end up wet
Does it run/fire at all or is it just turning over on the starter with no effect?

Last edited by Volvorama; Mar 31st, 2018 at 13:10.
Volvorama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvorama For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 13:10   #3
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Hi vacmad ,

Ok let’s start at the beginning if all was ok to start with then what has happened is I’m guessing you missed out when converting to Electronic ignition the new modern coil maybe also a wiring issue to upgrade .

Also what conversion did you run with cheap insert in the distributor ? Or nice 123 ignition new dizzy ?

**** EDIT****
Just thought with the P1800E and the P1800ES you won’t have the armoured cable like the earlier cars so should be on modern coil already .

So assuming you went with the 123 Ignition distributor , if you convert to Electronic you need the new modern coil with two connections fitted then with the new 123 dizzy installed take the wire from the armoured ignition cable then run that as your + Feed to coil then then wire up your RED & Black wires from the 123 to the Coil and set up the timing and you should run nice 👍
Also allow for your rev counter wiring which can be done ✅ once you have finished the main wiring or after the test run to keep simple at this early stage I tend to wire both up at the same time .

BUT important you marry up new modern coil with the Electriconic ignition,
Possible malfunction or wiring could burnout if wired in correct even burn the coil which you can feel Carefully when touching the body of the coil CAN GET Real HOT ! .

Now in regards to the petrol getting in with your oil , you need to trace it like a wiring issue start at the feed then trace its route through the process and diagnose any point it could get into the oil a few points could be like you mentioned whilst petrol is in the bores with bad rings even with flooding breach past the rings to gain entry into the oil or heavy vapour reaching through the breather system .
Badly worn valves also could over time allow under pressure entry into the oil.

So after some checks report back to us with any findings

Kind regards
Robert.W

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacmad View Post
Think I've killed it not run now for 6 months.

Long story converted to Elec ignition. Wouldn't start so swap back here were it all went wrong wired wrong and burnt out the points in haste to get back running.

Ok got another elec ignition kit fitted fine and now starts but keeps fouling the plugs up. The same happens converting back to points again.

Now had new coil set the timing. Still the same.

What is strange I check the oil and is was well over full and smelt of petrol looks like petrol is pouring into the oil and still fouling the plugs up.

Drain the oil all fresh but no difference.

What have I done

Doing comp test today.

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Mar 31st, 2018 at 13:16.
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 17:24   #4
mike gilbert
Master Member

My best guess - and it is always a guess with this FI system - is your fuel injection trigger points are the culprit. The injection trigger points can, if contaminated, disturbed or through wear of the points or wear on the distributor shaft, cause havoc with the fueling and running.
I had one like that and it filled the sump so full of petrol it started coming out the front crank seal. Took me ages and three different garages to work out it was the trigger points playing up, in may case it was due to a worn distributor.
mike gilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike gilbert For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2018, 10:00   #5
b20e
Simon Good

Hi

Just fixed a similar issue on my normally very reliable P1800e.

First thing I would do is buy 4 of the nice sparkrite plug tell tales.
You can see the plugs fire without ****ting about.
It reassuring if nothing else.

The over fueling symptoms I think are due to the computer getting a "its -273 degrees C" signal a component.

Mine turned out to be the water temp sender. Just a bad connection.
Took hours before I worked that one out though.

So gets some electric contact cleaner spray from Halfords or wherever.
Take off connections for FI and give a damn good clean.
Injectors, MAP sensor, Cold Start Valve etc.

Failing this - Push the car outside....... dont want to burn down the garage etc.

Disconnect the coil wires.

Take off the injectors carefully and dont lose the little seal jobs.

Turn on the ignition till light comes on and operate the throttle - watch the injectors fire (not literally)...

You will see a pair.

Crank a turn and see other pair fire.

All good?

Check for leaking - if one is stuck open then you will flood engine rapidly.

Do same for cold start valve.

Also if you can test fuel pressure - if you have an over pressure then again - you can flood out.....
Much less likely.

Dont panic - it can be fixed.

If necessary and for money I can come an help you fix this. I did another recently and we got it back from the dead after 14 years in a day.
No spares needed.

I am in Goring though so its a bit of a haul.

Happy to talk you through on phone
b20e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to b20e For This Useful Post: