Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch master cylinder leak

Views : 3473

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2018, 14:31   #1
DrivingOnTheSofa

Default Clutch master cylinder leak

Anyone here have any experience working on the clutch master cylinder on a 99 V70?

Having lost brake fluid very slowly over the last few months and looking in all the wrong places I have eventually discovered it is the clutch master cylinder, where it meets the clutch line.

Inside here I guess is some kind of o-ring, rubber sleeve, or a combination of the two. However I am not able to confirm what exactly is in there, or where to look for the part: would it be in a clutch cylinder rebuild kit, or a length of clutch pipe with the fittings at each end?

It's just some bits of rubber I know, but I don't want to open the clutch system until I've got the right solution.

The volvo diagram I've got is low res and not much use.

DrivingOnTheSofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 22:19   #2
DrivingOnTheSofa

I've not had much luck looking for volvo specific answers. It appears that part of the problem is that most cylinders are generic, and so are the 'clutch cylinder seals' as they are called. They are not included on exploded parts diagrams, but hydraulics are pretty much useless without them.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooYw...e62x1dUaQ&t=2s[/YOUTUBE]

However this video explains the situation and coincidentally provides some volvo part numbers.
Volvo - 9181729 £9 snap on coupling (includes nipple)
Volvo - 9143918 £2 o ring
Generic - 215615 £5 nipple

Not having much luck with the volvo ones but will see if the local garage can getting something close enough.

Will update once I've got it ( hopefully ) fixed.
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 03:42   #3
PNuT
MaDMaN

There are two different versions of those connectors by the look of it, I have in the past bought a section of the clutch hydraulic pipe but not that particular part but the section that actually runs through the battery tray as they have a habit of rotting.... but you should be able to buy the part from volvo!

They changed the clutch master cylinder for MY99 cars as the exit is downwards rather than forwards.... when I converted my auto to manual I had to go & salvage the master cylinder & pipework of the correct MY car as the two set ups are slightly different although it is mainly due to the electrical connector for the clutch pedal sensor that is attached to the master cylinder inside the car....

I have some of that older pipe work hanging up in my garage & don't recall plastic connectors like shown in the youtube video so will have a look tonight when I get home....
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 09:01   #4
DrivingOnTheSofa

I really appreciate that Pnut!
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:32   #5
DrivingOnTheSofa

I think I may have finally found the correct diagram from a Russian forum (!) which suggests the master cylinder is the same as used on s80s of that year. Parts 17,18 and 21 on the diagram. PNut - does that look familiar?

Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 13:10   #6
PNuT
MaDMaN

Yes it looks about right
Old May 15th, 2018, 20:05   #7
DrivingOnTheSofa

The master cylinder leak slowed down pretty much as soon as the weather got warmer, so I put off this job until today.

I opened up the connector and put in the new seal - the old one presumably shot out with the fluid. However there is now up and down play in the pipe of a couple of mm, which I find disconcerting, and after two reassemblies the play remains. Obviously the fluid in the cylinder dripped out, so I am assuming that upon re-pressurising the system the joint will feel solid?

I'm leaving the reverse bleeding for the morning - does anyone know if this play is normal?
Old May 16th, 2018, 16:35   #8
DrivingOnTheSofa

Ok, play in the joint is not normal, as I found out when I pressed the pedal and it leaked again.

This guy explains what was driving me absolutely nuts - the seal needs to ride down over the push fitting, otherwise it will never seat properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=D9T976hAAMQ
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 17:50   #9
FredericB

I found volvo part 31492855 is a set of both gasket and connector
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 723FC106-7A85-425E-B0C6-E82CB02AC956.jpeg (290.2 KB, 7 views)
FredericB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 19:30   #10
FredericB

Default Fixed

I went to the dealer today to pick up part 9181729 but it has been replaced by 31492855. It fitted perfectly. This is a standard part from manufacturer FTE and I put it in my XC70 MY2016 so this little quick connector probably in all volvos having hydraulic clutch.
FredericB is offline   Reply With Quote