Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Combustion preheater module not working

Views : 5860

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2018, 14:12   #1
DreamWave

Default Combustion preheater module not working

Hi

I have a V50 1.6d 2010 where the parking heater / preheater do not work any more. (Combustion preheater module (CPM))

I looked at VIDA and it gives me this fault "CPM1204 Blower fan Signal missing"
Tried to activate the Water pump and fuel pump and they worked. Tried to activate the blower fan and it failed.
Removed the CPM from the car an took it apart. The blower fan could turn by hand, so I connected power directly to the fan and then it worked perfect.
No strange noice or anything else.
Great now it was just to get all the pieces back together and test.

Now all 3 (water pump, fuel pump and blower fan) works, but the preheater still fails :-(
VIDA trows this error “CPM-4001 Auxilary heater Activated too long”
I have tested the fuel pump at it delivers fuel.
I have tested the blower fan, and it blows.
I have tested the water pump and it pumps.

When I run a test from VIDA to test the preheater I can her the fuel pump, water pump and blower fan. The the preheater produces a lot of smoke and after some time it turns off pumps and fans and tries again with the same result.

I don’t know what to look for now.
Can someone please advice?
DreamWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 18:16   #2
DreamWave

Done a little more testing

Took the CPM apart again, and measured all connections. An they are all within spec from VIDA
I looked at the flame sensor and it looked fine.
Looked at the glow tube, and it also looks fine.
Nothing is clogging up the path for the airflow.
Tested how much fuel is delivered to the CPM and it is 8.4 cm3 / 90sec at VIDA describes.

When the CPM starts I think I initially get a flame, but as the fan ramps up I think it is blowing the flame out?
When CPM starts I don't have white smoke, it all looks fine. But as the fan ramps up I get like stutter in the burning process and white smoke starts to appear, shortly after it is all white smoke and the CPM stops.
I get temperatures about 200 degrees celsius and then the CPM stops.

I guess it very clear to someone with knowledge about diesel/oil heaters what is wrong.
But I'm lost now.
Old May 19th, 2018, 22:18   #3
DreamWave

Well... a lot of searching on Internet/youtube/VIDA I found that the CPM is a Eberspacher D5WS 12V (there is also a 24v version)

I first looked for the Volvo/VIDA number for the glow plug, but it did not help much. Either sold out / discontinued with no replacement, or extremely expensive.

Then I searched for the D5WS glow plug, and found this number 252106011000
It can be bought several placed, but it is still not cheap.

While searching for the glow plug I found this website
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/advice-cen...ing-guide.html

Problem:
Code:
"Heater makes two attempts to start, may smoke for a while and then it stops"
The heater tries to start 2 times and smokes a lot before stopping

Possible reason:
Code:
1. Do the fuel quantity check, if the amount of fuel is insufficient than check the fuel pick-up pipe, fuel lines and connections, fuel filter on the pump, replace the filter or pump if necessary.
2. Check the glow pin and replace atomizing screen. Clean combustion tube (including it’s all air ways) and the heat exchanger.
1. I did a fuel check, and it is within spec.
2. I did check the glow pin. It measures within spec and if I start the CPM without fuel hose connected it smokes until all the diesel is gone. So I guess that the glow plug is OK.
I did not replace the atomizing screen (or lining or strainer. It has many names).
I did some cleaning of the combustion chamber, but I guess that it could be better.

I ordered a new atomizing screen (or glow pin screen) 252121990113
I have to wait until it arrives. Then I'll try to clean the combustion chamber better and install the new atomizing screen and se what happens.

I'll report back when done.
The Following User Says Thank You to DreamWave For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2018, 19:37   #4
DreamWave

As promised, here is a followup

I got the new atomizing screen (or glow pin screen) 252121990113. It includes 2 o-rings.

Took the CPM apart again. Cleaned everything again and installed the new atomizing screen (or glow pin screen). Put it all back together and installed the CPM in the car.

NOW IT WORKS

So all I needed was a new atomizing screen (or glow pin screen) with part number 252121990113
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DreamWave For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 17:24   #5
Phredman

Thanks for the feedback. I have similar problems, and eliminated options. Maybe I need a new glowplug.
Phredman is offline   Reply With Quote