Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reconditioned engine

Views : 3377

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2018, 01:23   #41
Ed Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semnoz View Post
I'm concerned you're going to run into a load of hassle trying to remove those injectors.

I'm not sure what you mean by pinning the camshaft. You can use a locking device on the pulley if you are really worried about it spinning round when you remove the timing belt. The point I'm making here is that you don't need to take the top cover off to pin the camshaft in place - just get something to lock the pulley.

I still think you have a wiring fault. I'd unravel all the black tape of the wiring going to your crankshaft and camshaft sensors and injector solenoids and look for broken insulation that's causing an intermitten short circuit.
The timing belt has been done with the marks in the appropriate places - however, I'm still getting a camshaft position error message. It's possible i might be a tooth out - it's happens. 'Pinning the camshaft' is a garage term for pinning it from the inside so there's no dubiety. (Don't ask me, I'm just a DIY-er)

The wiring has been checked - although I am open to the possibility if it's intermittent it's not shown itself. Unlikely though as every time the error has shown, wiring is the first thing to be checked. If I'm still struggling and I still can't identify the fault, I have a spare loom to fall back on. That'll be a last resort though as the last one was a pain in the arse to fit.

Thanks for the replies though - keep them coming please.
Ed Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 23:56   #42
Ed Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes the sensor and bracket are the same .
Is everything else compatible?
Old May 18th, 2018, 21:51   #43
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mac View Post
Is everything else compatible?
cam position sensor is , but exhaust camshaft different , It would take a long time to check every item !
Old May 19th, 2018, 13:45   #44
Ed Mac

Quote:
cam position sensor is , but exhaust camshaft different , It would take a long time to check every item !
The exhaust camshaft itself? Would that trip the sensor? Can the exhaust camshaft from the 'new' engine be swapped for the old one?
(Sorry, that's 3 questions in rapid succession!)

I'm now fearing the engines aren't interchangeable - or if they are, several parts need to be replaced. This is potentially a disaster. I'd have been better keeping the old engine in and paying for new valves, head skimming etc. And it would probably would have been cheaper too.

I appreciate your PM re checking if the parts list from 1 supersedes the other - I didn't realise that was a bit of an undertaking. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old May 19th, 2018, 15:54   #45
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mac View Post
The exhaust camshaft itself? Would that trip the sensor? Can the exhaust camshaft from the 'new' engine be swapped for the old one?
(Sorry, that's 3 questions in rapid succession!)

I'm now fearing the engines aren't interchangeable - or if they are, several parts need to be replaced. This is potentially a disaster. I'd have been better keeping the old engine in and paying for new valves, head skimming etc. And it would probably would have been cheaper too.

I appreciate your PM re checking if the parts list from 1 supersedes the other - I didn't realise that was a bit of an undertaking. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
yes I would fit your old camshaft , but if it has hit the pistons with the valves beware the lobes can turn on the shaft and mess up the operation , you would never be able to diagnose that .

currently the two engines still have different part numbers .

What exactly is wrong with the head , has it bent the rockers and broken the bores where the hydraulic lifters fit and broken the camshaft bearing caps ? maybe rotated the cam lobes on the shafts ?That is the norm .. It is very rare the block and pistons get damaged .
Old May 20th, 2018, 11:53   #46
Ed Mac

Quote:
What exactly is wrong with the head , has it bent the rockers and broken the bores where the hydraulic lifters fit and broken the camshaft bearing caps ? maybe rotated the cam lobes on the shafts ?That is the norm .. It is very rare the block and pistons get damaged .
Yes, the head on the old engine defo had broken lifters (on the intake side) - most probably bent valves and would need the head skimmed. I'm not familiar with changing that kind of stuff - so though fitting a 'new' engine would be cheaper as I was confident I could do that myself. I'd have had to pay labour for the original engine to get fixed....and without knowing what the total extent of the damage was, above what I mentioned...on the face of it, that would be more expensive.

I'm at where I'm at now.

If I use the old camshaft in the 'new' engine, does anything else have to change around that, like the lifters etc?

Is there any other significant different parts do you know? (Is there software etc I can buy to check myself ?)