Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seat replacement (Material)

Views : 642

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2018, 23:37   #1
basher90

Default Seat replacement (Material)

Hi,

The drivers seat in my 2010 XC90 is in pretty bad shape (See attachment).
Just wondering have others hit the same issue and their solution or is it my big fat arse

I guess options include
(1) Applying a patch, but it would be quite a big patch, on both side so it might end up looking even worse!!!
(2) Remove the seat and have it reupholstered.
(3) Buy a second hand XC90 car seat. Not sure all 02-15 seats would be compatibly.
(4) Something other option I haven't considered.

On a side note, if I did go down the replacement seat, is it possible to configure my Active edition to handle a heated seat. I thought I read somewhere that it's not compatible due to software. Again, just wondering if this is true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG4571.jpg (155.5 KB, 29 views)
basher90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:37   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basher90 View Post
On a side note, if I did go down the replacement seat, is it possible to configure my Active edition to handle a heated seat. I thought I read somewhere that it's not compatible due to software. Again, just wondering if this is true.
To add heated seats you must add the seat and the heated seat controller (under the seat)
Then you must have the buttons on the CCM
Then you must add the configuration and software to the CEM (dealer only) to enable the functions. If possible. I'm not sure the heated seats was every available as a retrofit option.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 09:13   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basher90 View Post
Hi,

The drivers seat in my 2010 XC90 is in pretty bad shape (See attachment).
Just wondering have others hit the same issue and their solution or is it my big fat arse

I guess options include
(1) Applying a patch, but it would be quite a big patch, on both side so it might end up looking even worse!!!
(2) Remove the seat and have it reupholstered.
(3) Buy a second hand XC90 car seat. Not sure all 02-15 seats would be compatibly.
(4) Something other option I haven't considered.

This seems an extremely common problem and one of the reasons why I discounted buying an active. Every one I viewed was either split or about to.

Volvo did replace a lot of these covers when the problem first came to light but I believe that has now long gone as a possibility.

I have no doubt whatsoever that a good autotrimmer / upholsterer would be able to remove the damaged sections and insert two new ones in a very very similar material.

Many years ago I had a similar issue with my Golf GTi Mk2 and our local trimmer made an incredibly good job of replacing two bolster sections.

That is the option I would take. If you buy a used seat it will inevitably already be on it's way to splitting if it hasn't already.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 16:48   #4
binty

Default Look for a passenger seat?

The trimmers is probably the easiest option for having it upholstered and quite reasonable price I would think.

However - Have a look if it is the same seat base/cover as the passenger side? They often are but not sure about Volvo's.

If so get hold of a passenger seat base, which are usually much less worn, and swap them.
You can even get a cover off one that has had an airbag deployment as that will have destroyed the back, not the base.
(Obviously don't change the drivers seat back for passenger side or you will have a central airbag instead of a side airbag and that won't be good)
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to binty For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 23:23   #5
basher90

Default Upholsterer it is.

Cheers for the feedback folks.
Have quite some trouble simply finding any spare seats.
Looks like I'm going down the upholsterer route. We checked with a local trimmer who quoted £170 to drop off the car for around 5 hours, jobs a good one. I'll post some pics when the jobs completed.
basher90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to basher90 For This Useful Post:

Tags
seat, seat conversion, seat cover