Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 147478

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2018, 19:16   #171
ITSv40
VOC Member

Had the air-con serviced today. Not that there appeared to be anything untoward with it, it blew cold so it must be fine. However 'er indoors Mini Cooper needed a service and we got a discount for having three cars done at the same time - as the C70 had not been serviced since I bought it two years ago, I thought, why not.

Anyway, 110gms of refrigerant recovered, deep system vapourisation, pressure test, oil and refrigerant added. Whole system checked over and all is well. 740gms of refrigerant added and now it blows ice cold. What a difference! especially as I was not aware of anything being untoward in the first place.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2018, 20:52   #172
Volvo V70 diesel

Hy,

I've replace CV Boots and ABS rings. Not peculiarly difficult to do, just be relax.

Fixed up the dashboard correctly.

Cheers.

VV 70

V 70 ESTATE TDI 1998 D5252T - Manual L.H.D.
(850 GLT ESTATE 2,5 L 20 V - Manual L.H.D.)
Volvo V70 diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 17:10   #173
pepper16
VOC Member

Smile C70...

Hi all...well today I took all alloys off and cleaned them from the backside forwards.....and then gave them a coat of polymer wax....(on the backs...I do the fronts weekly anyway) they look as good as when I had them refurbished two years ago ! Then the fronts had a good polymer coating and polish.
Good job done....cheers all.
Dave

2005 C70 2.0 T Auto Convertible. 75k miles.
17" Comet C alloys.
pepper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper16 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 13:31   #174
C70 98

Washed the winter salt and grime away, it turned out quite nice really, for a 19 year old car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_25561.jpg (385.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_25581.jpg (310.7 KB, 18 views)
C70 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C70 98 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 13:40   #175
pepper16
VOC Member

Looks nice ....well done !

17" Comet C alloys.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 13:45   #176
pepper16
VOC Member

I've just finished treating and conditioning the leather interior....another good job done.
As ITSv40 said it's a job to catch early, esp on certain parts of the seats!
Cheers
Dave

17" Comet C alloys.
Old May 28th, 2018, 21:15   #177
ITSv40
VOC Member

Cleaned all the 'soft feel' finish off the window switches on the door panels. I can never understand why Volvo put 'soft feel' on some switches and not others.

Anyway my switches felt like a kid had eaten candyfloss and then played with the switches for 30 mins. No amount of careful cleaning made any difference so had to bite the bullet and do the job properly.

Some folks say you can prise the switches out of the door panel without removing from the door, but mine were very tight and felt something was going to snap, so removed the door panels and then removed the switch pack from underneath.

I unclipped the top panel and then removed each individual switch cover, soaked then in De-Solv-it Sticky Stuff Remover for ten minutes to soften the gunge and then scraped all the gunk off the switch to leave it squeaky clean.

I found my thumb nail was the best scraper as I could feel when the switch was clean without doing any damage - it was like scraping a new potato. Checked the switch contacts were clean and reassembled and refitted the door panels. All a bit of a faff, but the switches are now clean and feel good to use. They cannot be successfully cleaned in situ as all the gunk gets down in the switch and impossible to get out.

Attachments show before and after. The drivers door switch shows a little wear of the paint finish, but I would rather that show and be clean than be hidden with sticky gunk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20180518_001.jpg (195.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20180522_002.jpg (135.0 KB, 37 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 20:38   #178
ITSv40
VOC Member

Cured an annoying rattle.

When I cleaned the door switches - post above - I removed the door card in order to get the switches out. I found some of the foam insulation had come unstuck, so I re-glued it back in place and sorted out a couple of other bits which cured the loose rattle I had when closing the door. The door then shut solidly with a nice firm 'clunk' as a Volvo should.

When I drove the car a couple of evenings ago, a steady and continuous plastic rattle had developed within the driver's door - so annoying.

Today I removed the door card and then road tested the car - rattle still there. Everything looked tight and as it should be and as the interior of the door frame is inaccessible - without a full scale strip down I resigned myself to having to live with it. I then noticed the door wiring loom is clipped to the door frame and one of the clips was loose, I straightened the clip out and secured it properly so everything was tight, put the door card back on and thought - that was not the cause of the rattle, as it was not big enough. Road tested the car and wow, the rattle is gone.

Switches are now clean, rattle when closing the door is gone and the new annoying rattle is cured.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 20:59   #179
pepper16
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Cured an annoying rattle.

When I cleaned the door switches - post above - I removed the door card in order to get the switches out. I found some of the foam insulation had come unstuck, so I re-glued it back in place and sorted out a couple of other bits which cured the loose rattle I had when closing the door. The door then shut solidly with a nice firm 'clunk' as a Volvo should.

When I drove the car a couple of evenings ago, a steady and continuous plastic rattle had developed within the driver's door - so annoying.

Today I removed the door card and then road tested the car - rattle still there. Everything looked tight and as it should be and as the interior of the door frame is inaccessible - without a full scale strip down I resigned myself to having to live with it. I then noticed the door wiring loom is clipped to the door frame and one of the clips was loose, I straightened the clip out and secured it properly so everything was tight, put the door card back on and thought - that was not the cause of the rattle, as it was not big enough. Road tested the car and wow, the rattle is gone.

Switches are now clean, rattle when closing the door is gone and the new annoying rattle is cured.
Well done ! I hate annoying rattles.....and more, I hate myself for letting them get to me !
I'm sure plenty of folks just turn the music up, but me.....I've got to sort it.

While I'm on...had my brake fluid flushed and changed on Thursday, not the most satisfying job as the car drives the same but it's a good job done all the same !

17" Comet C alloys.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 20:29   #180
Dippydog
Premier Member

Found out this morning that some useless twonk had hit the N/S door mirror.Good news is they hit it from behind and it "folded" so the mirror casing survived[and another scratch on it makes no difference.bad news is that the mirror glass was cracked in the process.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote