Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cracks in tyres

Views : 4311

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2018, 11:01   #1
827Roverman
VOC Member

Unhappy Cracks in tyres

In December 2015 I bought and had fitted at Halfords a new set of Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres, which are now cracking between the treads, due to family health issues my car does not get used very much, but nevertheless these tyres have not done 2000 miles yet, even though the car gets little use I don't think they should be cracking in this way, before trying to do battle with Halfords I have contacted Goodyear direct and I'm waiting for their reply, anyone else had this problem ? David.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6004701.jpg (100.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg S6004702.jpg (87.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg S6004703.jpg (85.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg S6004707.jpg (69.2 KB, 31 views)
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 12:20   #2
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

While I agree with you that they shouldnt crack, its probably lack of use.
My mate who works in one the the main breakdown firms reckons that

low-quality tyres dont last etc
top brands are made to be used, not looked at prone to perishing
medium quality is a better compromise for a low mileage vehicle, less perishing.

Now I know thats a few very general statements and doesnt help much.
They wont fail mot until the cords are visible. Use the car, if you can, of course.
Pump them up to above recommended pressure to preent flat spots etc. if car is standing.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2018, 12:46   #3
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post

medium quality is a better compromise for a low mileage vehicle, less perishing.

They wont fail mot until the cords are visible. Use the car, if you can, of course.
Pump them up to above recommended pressure to preent flat spots etc. if car is standing.
Many thanks for your reply, your not the first to say due to lack of use, but there's little I can do about that, I do maintain the pressures 28-30 psi. David.
The Following User Says Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2018, 14:45   #4
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Ideally put them up to whatever the max stated on sidewalls for periods of non use. If youre well enough of course.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2018, 16:16   #5
psl
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
In December 2015 I bought and had fitted at Halfords a new set of Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres, which are now cracking between the treads, due to family health issues my car does not get used very much, but nevertheless these tyres have not done 2000 miles yet, even though the car gets little use I don't think they should be cracking in this way, before trying to do battle with Halfords I have contacted Goodyear direct and I'm waiting for their reply, anyone else had this problem ? David.
I have the exact same tyres, only having owned the car a short while have noticed the rear tyres, that are of 2016 vintage on mine have the same issues. The previous owner did 5000 miles per year
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2018, 16:21   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post

I've got two sets of tyres about 18-24 months older than Davids Goodyears that have done about 6k miles so about 3 times as much total in about twice the age.
The implication of that is a similar mile/year rate although they have been used a bit more than his.

However i don't have any of that sort of cracking on either set, one is a set of Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun and the other is a set of Austone Athena SP-7 - cheap to buy here as they were "new in" but aparently are a premium tyre in Australia.

As you can tell i haven't gone wild with top of the range stuff, more "middle of the road" (no pun intended but it's there so enjoy it anyway! ) and there have been occasions when one or other of the cars those are fitted to haven't moved for several weeks, if not months.

The point is, as i've already said to David via email, i don't believe they should have gone like this anywhere near as quickly as they have done - i think all Goodyear and Dunlop tyres are now made in China so maybe it was the last of the "cheap" rubber for some "Hoo Flung Dung Ditchfinder Specials" that was used to make his Goodyears when they changed from one run to another.

Then there's the old joke - what's the difference between a car tyre and 365 condoms?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2018, 16:43   #7
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
I have the exact same tyres, only having owned the car a short while have noticed the rear tyres, that are of 2016 vintage on mine have the same issues. The previous owner did 5000 miles per year
So based on what you say the previous owner doing 5000 per year, little use of my car may or may not be the cause of the cracking, sounds more like a bad batch to me, thank you for your input, David
Old May 14th, 2018, 16:46   #8
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've got two sets of tyres about 18-24 months older than Davids Goodyears that have done about 6k miles so about 3 times as much total in about twice the age.
The implication of that is a similar mile/year rate although they have been used a bit more than his.

However i don't have any of that sort of cracking on either set, one is a set of Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun and the other is a set of Austone Athena SP-7 - cheap to buy here as they were "new in" but aparently are a premium tyre in Australia.

As you can tell i haven't gone wild with top of the range stuff, more "middle of the road" (no pun intended but it's there so enjoy it anyway! ) and there have been occasions when one or other of the cars those are fitted to haven't moved for several weeks, if not months.

The point is, as i've already said to David via email, i don't believe they should have gone like this anywhere near as quickly as they have done - i think all Goodyear and Dunlop tyres are now made in China so maybe it was the last of the "cheap" rubber for some "Hoo Flung Dung Ditchfinder Specials" that was used to make his Goodyears when they changed from one run to another.

Then there's the old joke - what's the difference between a car tyre and 365 condoms?
Thanks Dave, but what's the difference? not heard that one before.
Old May 14th, 2018, 17:31   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
So based on what you say the previous owner doing 5000 per year, little use of my car may or may not be the cause of the cracking, sounds more like a bad batch to me, thank you for your input, David
Two sets of the same tyres of a similar age? I wonder what the date code is on the tyres belonging to "psl" and if it's similar to yours David?

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

If it's in the same age range as yours then the pair of you could have a case against Goodyear, his have done a lot more mileage than yours so that is now less of a possibility.

The difference is one is a Goodyear, the other is a F****ng marvelous year!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:56   #10
Jimsiss

I've got a cheap set of Landsail tyres on my 940 estate and I use it most days but barely put any mileage on it in a year, they had cracked on the outer edges and inside the tread within a year and are still being used a few years later but with far more cracking. I put it down to cheap tyres but they have had a lot of weight on them and the fronts have had a lot of slippage on the outer edges from full lock manoeuvres.

They need replacing now though as the cracking is pretty bad and the valves have all cracked too! Never seen that in my life, I've got wheels from cars that have been sat around for 30 years and the valves are perfect. Tread is still very much legal except the usual outer edge wear where they are now pretty much bald and my brother does enjoy thrashing my 940 when he borrows it (he likes beating the boy racers in their more expensive newer cars).

Last edited by Jimsiss; May 15th, 2018 at 09:59.
Jimsiss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimsiss For This Useful Post: