Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

baffled by surge

Views : 1147

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2018, 00:51   #1
jack taylor
Master Member

Question baffled by surge

Hi, I have a 1998 V70,2.5, 20v auto, non turbo. I always drive with gearbox in "economy" mode. At 50mph I lift off the accelerator slightly and the car changes gear or overdrive kicks in; I dont know which, and revs drop from 2,000 rpm to 1,750 rpm. Today no sooner had revs dropped they surged up to 2250rpm and then back down to 1750. This happens constantly all the time I am at 50mph and revs will surge and drop in less than a second. 80kpm is max limit on many roads in my area so I cant just drive faster.I would compare it to a manual box with a slipping clutch. Once I reach 55 to 60 mph the car is fine.
I changed the gearbox setting to "Sport" mode and the problem seems to have gone.Do I have a massive gearbox problem or something totally unrelated. I would very much appreciate your views please. thanks jack
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 07:37   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

I'm not sure how Volvo auto boxes are configured,but some autos on a stedy cruise hit torque converter lock up at about 50mph so if you're driving at this speed and lifting off the throttle slightly the gearbox can't make up its mind whether it should be locked up or not so it's sort of "hunting" between gears if that makes sense.Engaging sport mode cures this because in sport it holds each gear to a higher rev speed before changing up.It sounds pretty normal to me but maybe others know differently/better.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:15   #3
DSK
C70 T5

Sounds like your are doing this type of driving all that should be consistent.

If you have always had the above issue, I'd tend to agree with the above but obviously you will want to check the basics such as a full fluid change of the automatic transmission and if there are any software updates for the trans,ission that you may be missing.

If this is something that's just started happening? (if so, then the problem will be elsewhere).

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 15:35   #4
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Guys, Thanks very much for the info. This problem only started yesterday.The gearbox fluid is clean and full. Assuming the problem is gearbox related does it sound terminal.many thanks.
Old May 17th, 2018, 15:18   #5
jack taylor
Master Member

I have read articles relating to "torque lock-up solenoid". Would anyone know whether this is a part fitted to Volvos.
Old May 18th, 2018, 23:19   #6
jack taylor
Master Member

Question

Apologies for being a pain but may I ask whether my gearbox problem could be a faulty TCU. Thanks
Old May 19th, 2018, 07:25   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Apologies for being a pain but may I ask whether my gearbox problem could be a faulty TCU. Thanks
Unlikely. Start with fluid and torque converter.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 16:57   #8
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi, SwissXC90,Many thanks for that. The fluid level is full and the oil is clean. Forgive my ignorance but what steps can I take to check the torque converter.
When i select "sports" mode the problem stops so I thought it was an electrical problem. thanks jack.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 01:09   #9
Baffler
Premier Member

Jack...have you seen/read Capt Jack's thread - Automatic gearboxes at 50mph - in General Volvo Motoring Discussions? Makes for interesting reading as your car may be perfectly fine.

I can't comment further on the AW50 (4 speed) as we only bought ours last July and it's at our place in Poland so don't get to use it as much as we'd like. Although, it drove faultlessly for 2k kilometers across Europe, I'll keep a note of it's behavior this summer.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 02:29   #10
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Liam, Good to hear from you and thanks for directing me to Cpt Jacks post. What concerns me is the fact that my g/box has been faultless for the last 7 years and has only just decided to bugger about in the last week. There must be a fault; its trying to ascertain what it is.
I dont think its mechanical which only leaves electrical and in that regard, I havent a clue. Perhaps someone on here can throw out a few suggestions.jack