Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 2010 Cooling System Service Required

Views : 2753

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2021, 16:32   #11
Symmo

Thanks for all your replies.
I have done a few checks today.
1. I turned the car round to face uphill, to help with air bubbles.
2. Water level was just about on Max.
3. Ran the car on the drive for approx. 30 mins while logging coolant temperature with torque. Temp stabilised at about 45°C, I got it to 50 by revving it. Feeling the hoses to/from the rad, they were both warm/hot and about the same temperature. The rad fan was not running even at 51°C.
4. Temperature inside was 30°C which was a surprise. Was cold for a long time though.
5. Went for a drive about 5 miles on the motorway. Logged temperature dropped a bit due to extra airflow. No warnings from the car.
6. Back home, checked hoses again, coolant temp back to 51°C, fan was running, hoses were both same and quite warm. Water level had increased to nearly the top of the expansion tank.
7. There are 2 small bore pipes going to the expansion tank, one coming from top of rad and other from round the back of the engine. I think they are bleed pipes. I sucked both to see if any air was there. Coolant came from both straight away so no air there. I don't know where the coolant hoses to the heater matrix go so I couldn't check them but there is now warm air inside so assume it is ok.

This all seems normal to me. But the air temperature does feel lower than before, even though it is 30+°C.
I don't know if there is an electric heater , if there is, what fuse would it be?

Last edited by Symmo; Jan 10th, 2021 at 18:12.
Symmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 21:13   #12
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmo View Post
I don't know if there is an electric heater , if there is, what fuse would it be?
In the engine compartment fuse box you would be looking for a PTC element (Positive Temperature Coefficient) or Air Preheater slot with a fuse rating of 80 Amps

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 21:29   #13
Baffler
Premier Member

If the fuse tests fine the PTC element may need to be activated via the CCM with VIDA & DICE.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 21:43   #14
Symmo

I think the PTC heater is an optional extra, not fitted on my car.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 20:59   #15
Symmo

My theory is that the new water pump is faulty, resulting in reduced circulation of water in the system.
What little circulation there is is gradually warming up the interior and in winter is just enough to keep the engine cool enough for short trips.
The air inside did get warmer when I was driving on the motorway, probably due to the extra cooling air through the radiator causing better water circulation.

Is this a feasible theory?

It is booked into the garage to have a look at the water pump tomorrow. So hopefully I will find out.
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 19:00   #16
Symmo

Quote:
It is booked into the garage to have a look at the water pump tomorrow. So hopefully I will find out.
They didn't remove the pump. They changed the temperature sensor.
I don't think it has made any difference to the internal cabin temperature. Still takes ages to demist compared to before.
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 22:21   #17
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
My theory is that the new water pump is faulty, resulting in reduced circulation of water in the system.
What little circulation there is is gradually warming up the interior and in winter is just enough to keep the engine cool enough for short trips.
The air inside did get warmer when I was driving on the motorway, probably due to the extra cooling air through the radiator causing better water circulation.

Is this a feasible theory?

I think you are barking up the wrong tree with that one... it can’t be bearing failure as that would cause leaking, or seated incorrect. It also can’t be jammed. The only way it could be wrong is if the belt were turning the pump but the impellers inside were not turning the water over. The impellers won’t break as they are so solid, they could be the wrong size but I don’t think so.

Are you sure the thermostat is functioning correctly?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 01:07   #18
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post

Are you sure the thermostat is functioning correctly?
That would also have been my guess, however ive just changed mine and there was no warnings it had failed (not allowing proper warm up in my case).

I’m assuming the XC60 has the same daft instrument cluster as the early P3 V70 with no temperature gauge? If so have you tried monitoring the coolant temp via a dongle in the OBD port? That will tell you a lot about what’s happening (and how I diagnosed a duff thermostat on mine).

Have a look at this thread, suggests it may be the thermostat as well https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=220008

Last edited by reggit; Feb 6th, 2021 at 01:20.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 12:29   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Bleeding can take a long time with this engine
one 20 minute road test , a cool down and top up is all it takes , any longer and you have some other problem 👍
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 23:15   #20
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
That would also have been my guess, however ive just changed mine and there was no warnings it had failed (not allowing proper warm up in my case).

I’m assuming the XC60 has the same daft instrument cluster as the early P3 V70 with no temperature gauge? If so have you tried monitoring the coolant temp via a dongle in the OBD port? That will tell you a lot about what’s happening (and how I diagnosed a duff thermostat on mine).
You assume correctly
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote