Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 185 remappping....advice needed, please read.

Views : 624

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2021, 11:53   #1
FullRaceB20

Default V70 D5 185 remappping....advice needed, please read.

Hi, apologies to start a thread like this but all the remapping threads are old!

I have a D5 and looking to get a remap, i live in Dorset and local to me is 'Dorset tuning Remaps', seem to have good reviews but no experience with V70's.
Im only after a stage one with DPF delete so will any tuner do or do i need someone more experience with Volvo's e.g. Shemtek ?

My thoughts were to use someone local incase of any problems ? Shemtek is the complete other end of the country.

Thanks in advanced and apologies for another remap thread
FullRaceB20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 13:07   #2
Lexington013

If you delete the DPF it will fail the next MOT.
Lexington013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 13:48   #3
FullRaceB20

Ok let's forget I mentioned that. Please only reply if you have any relevant remap advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to FullRaceB20 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 14:08   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRaceB20 View Post
Ok let's forget I mentioned that. Please only reply if you have any relevant remap advice.
That post of his is relevant, why would you believe a DPF remap question on a public forum is a suitable question? It’s fitted for a purpose.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 14:26   #5
FullRaceB20

My question is about remaps. Not a dpf. If it makes you more comfortable the V70 will only be used on track.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 15:02   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

On a separate note make sure you really do require this extra power, on this model of vehicle with this car.

I have substantial experience of friends who have mapped cars almost whom have pretty instantly found all and every weakness in their transmissions, clutches etc etc etc.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 16:12   #7
richard

My opinion

Its commonly accepted that DPFs arent a big problem when the cars are <100k

At around 150K most, if not all will have an ASH build up that affects flow.
This will strangle the engine, affecting efficiency and power.

The DPF regeneration process will only clear SOOT.
Unburnt fuel. Not the ASH, which is a by product of contaminants, engine oil etc.

The only way to clean that is to physically flush it out, normally involving DPF removal and reverse flushing, due to the design of the internals of the DPF.
If you DPF gets to this point, you might want to consider a deep clean, replacement or removal if that suits you.

As for remapping, dont consider it, unless you car is achieving factory performance and MPG. Once its running tickety boo, then go for the remap.
Simple as that.
richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 19:19   #8
FullRaceB20

Thanks for the advice. Who do you recommend for remaps ?
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 18:35   #9
FullRaceB20

Anyone any ideas ? Is remapping a thing of the past with these cars now ?
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 09:37   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

without meaning to cause any arguments, or sound condescending or anything, i think what people have done is give you the 'correct' advice, i.e trying to avoid telling you something that will cause you any problems in future ..

aside from that I personally have seen both normal cars and competition race cars with quite literally holes in the side of engine blocks after someone did a bad tune. one forgot to set his rev limiter . just over 8k on a QED tuned (5grand) vauxhall red top F3 engine and it went BANG on the back straight.
the other did everything he was supposed to in terms of a rebuild with correct components (this is someone who really knows his stuff) and that went bang when he was chasing an Evo down the M6. Funnily enough that was Vauxhall as well except that was an LET ..

AFAIK it's basically all at your own risk and I'm guessing that's why people are shying away from advising you

like overclocking a CPU (which I know more about myself) you can take 2 identical units and one will work great and the other one will melt

good luck with it though I do like a fun track day car so I can appreciate what you're trying to do

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 18th, 2021 at 09:58.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote