Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 es 1996

Views : 792

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 07:21   #1
mercedes

Default 440 es 1996

We have very recently acquired a 440 es 1996 model and first impressions were good. Been driving it more than a week and very happy with performance. Until the car didn't start yesterday morning!

All the checks have been done, the fob unlocks and locks but there is no spark to fire up the engine although it turns over.

Any suggestions what we can do next without going to a volvo dealer? mercedes
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:07   #2
Volvo Dave

Have you checked the distributer cap? We once had a 440 1.6 that did the same. On removing the cap I found the carbon pin in the centre so worn that it was'nt touching the rotor arm! We got a replacement from halfords for about £8. Also changed the rotor arm, plugs and leads at the same time. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:23   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

See if you can substite a coil/power stage unit ... may save you a headache !
A carbon brush worn or even a tracking distributor cap is unlikely to stop it running .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 15:08   #4
mercedes

Pretty sure it must be an immobiliser issue ~ no fault codes, all else is seems okay.
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 15:39   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

volvo didnt use an immobiliser until 10 years later ! Unless someone has fitted a cheap one ?
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 16:37   #6
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

The imboliser on the 1996 ES would disengage the starter motor circuit, so if the starter is actually turningh the engine over i would place my money on something failing on the spark side, and there being no problem with the imboliser.

If you have no spark at the plug, quickly rule out a dodgy rotor arm or cap by taking a spark plug lead with a loose spark plug attached and plug it directly to the coil.

Then check to see if you have spark. If you have spark at the coil, replace the king lead, rotor and cap as you see fit.

If you have no spark directly at the coil, assertain that you have a 12v feed to the coil.

Try these steps first as they are the most simplest.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 16:40   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Good point ... the coil/powerstage unit has a 12v feed via a relay under the R/H side of the dash or in the triangular relay/fuse box under the bonnet , these relays sometimes do play up especially that age !
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 22:21   #8
Volvo Dave

Quote:
A carbon brush worn or even a tracking distributor cap is unlikely to stop it running .
I beg to differ!! Our old 440 had the exact same symptoms. It ran fine without any problems untill one day we parked it in the town. It was only left for half an hour so the engine was still warm, got in turned the key, turned over, no start. Funny how replacing the worn cap fixed the fault!!

Quote:
If you have no spark at the plug, quickly rule out a dodgy rotor arm or cap by taking a spark plug lead with a loose spark plug attached and plug it directly to the coil.

Then check to see if you have spark. If you have spark at the coil, replace the king lead, rotor and cap as you see fit.

If you have no spark directly at the coil, assertain that you have a 12v feed to the coil.
When our other 440 broke down I checked the same. I changed the cap/rotor arm still no go. Towed the car home. Had a spark from the ignition module but not at the plugs. Changed the ignition module/main ecu/plugs/leads/etc (borrowed parts from my 460!) still no start. Removed cap from engine then turned it over. Discovered nackered timing belt!!

Just for the record Clan I have owned volvos(244,240,340,440 x 2,460,480 x2,850 x 2)for the past 20 years. In the 6 years I had my 480turbo I practicaly rebuilt the car due to the amount of times it broke down so I think that it's fair to say i've had a bit of expearence of them!!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 23:20   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Dave View Post

Just for the record Clan I have owned volvos(244,240,340,440 x 2,460,480 x2,850 x 2)for the past 20 years. In the 6 years I had my 480turbo I practicaly rebuilt the car due to the amount of times it broke down so I think that it's fair to say i've had a bit of expearence of them!!!
I said a burned carbon brush was UNLIKELY to cause a non start because i have seen so many in this state still running happily with no symptoms at all . How i test a cap is run at below 1000 rpm if i can in 4th gear and open throttle fully this will show up a misfire due to a cap problem as this is when the HT system is under most strain and any misfire will be very noticable .

In my experience of working on the 400 and each and every one of the models you list above since before each and every one of those models was introduced .. to the current day , i cant say i have found a distributor cap which stopped a 400 engine running . In fact it is remarkable how they continue to run with the cap caked in oil so much that the cap is half full of crud with the rotor arm carving its way through it and yet it still runs :-) The first damp morning could be a killer though then they might not start ...

what was wrong with your 440 T breaking down so often ? A few of my friends have the turbo over the last 15 years and its the best of the lot for reliability they have found with decent BOSCH components and managment system .
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 00:02   #10
Volvo Dave

It was the 480turbo that I had on a G plate(89). The car was bought in 1995 with full service history and only two previous owners. Main problems were the electrics, water getting into the cem, pop up lights, gauges, etc,etc. The steering rack went so did the gear box. Rear tie bar broke. Constant oil leaks. You would fix one only for another to appear. Power steering pump went. Alternator packed in. Electric waterpump, reversing lights, headlight flash switch, horn. The list goes on. Two occasions of a under bonnet fire caused by oil leaking from the pipes on the turbo, both occasions put out straight away before it spread. Abs problems, split hoses on the turbo, head gasket went. Eventualy after battling with it for six years the turbo packed up! Back then 480's in scrapyards were rare and spares were expensive. Needless to say i've stayed away from the turbo engined volvos since! Back in 1989 my boss at the time had a 440 turbo when they first came out. I remember that that too was always in the main dealers with somthing wrong with it. Best volvo I ever had was a 1983 'A' 240GLE with a 2.3 carb engine in it. Had it seven years, did 100k in it, never let me down!