Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alko hitches are amazing

Views : 751

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2019, 21:06   #1
Peter86
Pete

Default Alko hitches are amazing

So after owning a folding camper towing with my V70 D5 Rdesign was really easy. Recently I have been towing a 2 berth caravan of my parents on a standard hitch. I found the car move round more which my wife didn't like and was feeling sick even though the caravan was not loaded much for weekends away and well under the 1050kg max limit. My parents Doblo towing it is great due to the car size, but the V70 was so different.
We bought a 2001 Bailey Ranger 4 berth caravan for ourselves (picked up yesterday) and had a Alko hitch put on and I have to say it made the ride extremely stable, even in the pooring rain with coaches and lorrys passing the caravan didn't flinch once. Worth their weight in gold for stability in my eyes.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 23:39   #2
dhr90

Was there any kind of stabiliser used on the van with the standard hitch? Would have helped a lot. But yes, Alko hitches are very good indeed.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 08:02   #3
green van man
Premier Member

Just keep them serviced. New pads are cheap as chips and make a big difference.

While I reckoned my hitch was good the wear indicators were about 3/4 worn. Fitted new pads and adjustment shims and what a difference.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 11:46   #4
WUMPSTER

TBH i wouldn't tow a van without one and like the previous poster said the pads are dirt cheep and easy to fit also helps if the tow ball is nice and clean no black paint and shiny no grease or it wrecks the pads