Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1999 V70 Brakes? ABS? ???

Views : 3032

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2019, 10:34   #1
currymunster

Default 1999 V70 Brakes? ABS? ???

Hi everyone.
My wife's V70 started making funny noises and pulling to the left with a tapping noise when turning right and braking.
On inspection the right caliper had seized so I have completely overhauled them with new seals. slider bolts and the rubber slider sleeves.

Pulling to left solved and tapping when braking and turning right solved but now(and I'm sure it was there all along) the ABS kicks in at slow speeds when braking and turning right.
I assumed it would be a duff sensor but this morning the ABS light came on along with the MIL.
Now, the ABS has been on before which i assumed to be the ABS module going faulty.
I've pulled the code and get P0500 which is speed sensor.
Any one know??
Also I only have a generic reader so if any one local has a Volvo reader I would appreciate ten minutes of your time?
There was a guy in Folkestone that did it a few years ago if he is still about.
Yes, I'm in Folkestone.
Thanks Guys
currymunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 11:46   #2
volvo again
Master Member

I would remove the abs wheel sensor(s) and give it a good clean, along with the reluctor ring.
Is the speedo working okay? It gets it's signal from the wheel sensor.
volvo again is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 12:27   #3
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
I would remove the abs wheel sensor(s) and give it a good clean, along with the reluctor ring.
Is the speedo working okay? It gets it's signal from the wheel sensor.
Thanks for your reply.
I have removed both the front ones(don't know if it has rear ones)
and cleaned them plus the abs ring. Did that yesterday, no difference?
did notice that the drivers side sensor has no bolt. Its sheared off but looks like its been like it for a while. We've had the car since it was 3 years old from the main dealer so I dont know when that happened.
Speedo seems to be absolutely fine.
Thanks
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 14:37   #4
volvo again
Master Member

Yes there are sensors on the rear, as you have been working on the front brakes the most likely suspects would be the front sensors / connections.
PO500 is a generic code which any OBD11 reader will show, more specific Volvo code readers (vida / dice) should be able to pinpoint where the fault is.
volvo again is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo again For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 14:44   #5
currymunster

Yes, I assumed it would be the front but It was doing the abs rumble before i did the calipers.
I just assumed that the seized caliper was the cause.
Yes. its amazing what the volvo software does show!
Hopefully there is someone close by that has it that can give me ten minutes of their time please with regards the volvo diagnostic software??
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 16:22   #6
mike19691969

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymunster View Post
did notice that the drivers side sensor has no bolt. Its sheared off but looks like its been like it for a while.

That is very likely to be your problem as the sensor will not be the correct distance from the ring leading to a false/incorrect reading. I had a very similar problem recently which turned out to be rust on the sensor mating surface causing the sensor to be further away from the ring and a faulty signal at times. I would think that the missing bolt would lead to similar symptoms.

if you can get someone with Vida then go for a drive and look at the live readings for the sensors any irregularities will be obvious.
mike19691969 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike19691969 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 18:30   #7
vorlon7

Default v70 brakes

I have seen a few of the rings on the driveshaft rotted away or missing teeth also the sensor wire seems to get fragile and often is damaged when major work is done but if it was error before you started work could be caliper issue vida will give detail of which sensor but as per Volvo Again an iffy speedo points to resoldering module or Vida saying more than one sensor u/s thats also often a module issue The rings are cheap enough and as long as your car hasnt the "glued in" drive shafts not a difficult job .Just replaced front and rear discs Calipers pads shoes front hoses on my v70 it passed mot with one pad completely delaminated and seized calipers front,had to make up front pipes as heat freezer spay etc just wouldnt budge them. Love the old beast though.
vorlon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vorlon7 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 21:14   #8
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike19691969 View Post
That is very likely to be your problem as the sensor will not be the correct distance from the ring leading to a false/incorrect reading. I had a very similar problem recently which turned out to be rust on the sensor mating surface causing the sensor to be further away from the ring and a faulty signal at times. I would think that the missing bolt would lead to similar symptoms.

if you can get someone with Vida then go for a drive and look at the live readings for the sensors any irregularities will be obvious.
Thanks, If I can find someone I will.
I know you are right and it could be the sensor but its been like it as long as I can remember, I've certainly never removed them until I found it on Sunday.
I removed them and reseated them after cleaning it up and wrapping PTFE tape around the loose one so that it fits tight.
My money is on the ABS module as the ABS light has come on and then off several times in the last two years and has come on and then off with this new fault.
My wife says that when the ABS light comes on, the abs does not function when steering right and braking??????????
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 21:19   #9
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon7 View Post
I have seen a few of the rings on the driveshaft rotted away or missing teeth also the sensor wire seems to get fragile and often is damaged when major work is done but if it was error before you started work could be caliper issue vida will give detail of which sensor but as per Volvo Again an iffy speedo points to resoldering module or Vida saying more than one sensor u/s thats also often a module issue The rings are cheap enough and as long as your car hasnt the "glued in" drive shafts not a difficult job .Just replaced front and rear discs Calipers pads shoes front hoses on my v70 it passed mot with one pad completely delaminated and seized calipers front,had to make up front pipes as heat freezer spay etc just wouldnt budge them. Love the old beast though.
Did one of the driveshafts a couple of years ago. yes the fault was there before i did the calipers.
I checked the rings and they are fine. I know that as I did driveshaft one side and the CV joint on the other. Speedo does work fine but the ABS light has been on and off for the last two years.
Now when it comes on the symptom stops????
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 23:50   #10
currymunster

Hi - I Believe it is the abs module.
Seems to be lots of part numbers for it
Does any one know if they are interchangerble or does it have to be the exact part number?

Last edited by currymunster; Aug 2nd, 2019 at 00:04.