Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70, XC70 general information?

Views : 1542

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2020, 14:35   #1
AndrasL

Default V70, XC70 general information?

Hello!

I started thinking about switching from my '11 S40 to one of these cars to have more room and features. I have some questions I would be happy to get answers for:
  1. As far as I know, V70 and XC70 are the same, except for the ride height and some plastic trim pieces. The engine choices and equipment is the same. Is this correct?
  2. There is a table with all P1 series engines with information on who developed it and if it is a recommended engine or not. Is there a list like this for these cars as well?
  3. For the year, after 2010, is there a year that I should avoid? I am thinking of buying one after 2015 (with AWD and automatic gearbox), but not sure just yet.
  4. Am I right, that these cars came with 3 equipment levels? Kinetic/Momentum/Summum. Where can I find information on what these levels actually contain?
  5. Are there any "must have" features that I should make sure to get?
I know these are a lot of questions. I am reading around this forum for answers, however I did not find many just yet.
AndrasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 16:56   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Default Question 4

If you do a Web search for "v70/xc70 brochure pdf" and add a year ie 2015, you should find in the chaff copies of the actual volvo brochure. Then u can see the features.
Think there was a face lift circa 2013 ish

Cheers Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 17:15   #3
apersson850
Premier Member

An XC70 with AWD has Hill descent control. A V70 does not.
The XC70 wasn't available with the smallest engines, like the 1.6 liter diesel.

If you look for one from 2015 onwards, then the 2016 has Euro 6 engines. Important in some regions.

Trim levels vary between markets.
In Sweden, the V70 was available as Basic, Kinetic, Momentum and Summum.
The XC70 started from Kinetic.
Looking at the price list from 2016, it seems Basic was no longer offered.

In 2016, at least in Sweden, the model got the Classic badge. That meant that a few packages, which earlier had a price tag, was included at no extra cost. In Sweden, they were named Technology, Climate and Driver Support packages.

One of our two XC70 is a 2016 D4 AWD automatic Classic Summum. It's fairly well equipped.
apersson850 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 19:08   #4
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Volvo export model policies for Hungary probably differ from those to the UK. We certainly do not use the same names for equipment levels so it is difficult to advise on which model you should buy. Personally when buying a second hand car I look at the very top spec as cars of this standard cost little more than those with lower specs as depreciation tends to ignore the original cost of the "toys".

I think you realise that the XC70 is almost certain to be AWD whereas the V70 is not likely to be but I'll say it because you missed it in your opening remarks.

I have an older P3 XC70 from 2012 and I'll drive it until the wheels fall off! The equipment level gets more advanced as the cars were subsequently developed but there is very little that I don't like on mine and very little that I'd worry about not having from the later cars.

I hate stop/start, which my car was the last not to have and I'm happy about that but if I'd have had a later model there is an after market module to switch off the feature "permanently" which I'd fit.

Later cars have the camera based parking aid but I'm happy with the "diagram" with variable audible warnings as I prefer to look out of the windows and not at a screen.

IIRC cars up to 2014 will no longer have map upgrade support for their Sensus navigation system.

As I've never driven a V70 I cannot say if it handles very much better than the higher sitting XC70 but coming from 2+2 GT cars I was most pleasantly surprised how well the XC70 held its line through fast bends and with the Polestar engine upgrade fitted, some of those bends can be taken quite fast! I'd recommend the Polestar upgrade which raised my XC70's 215 bhp to 230 bhp and satisfied any doubts I had that I might be disappointed with its ability to go as fast as I need it to.

The point I'd make is one with which some people might not agree but I like the fact that the XC70 is no longer made and that it has somewhat of a rarity value, in ownership pride if not in financial value.

I'd recommend the car to anyone and if you need a final reason to buy it, look at this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGHsoF5F57s . If I could offer no other reason why you should buy the XC70, this is the reason!

Last edited by Tatsfield; Dec 16th, 2020 at 19:11.
Tatsfield is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tatsfield For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 11:28   #5
AndrasL

Thank you for the replies.
Is there a list of offered engine choices and which are to be avoided / recommended?

Edit: One more thing, I have volvo vida dice 2014d, can this be used for XC70s after 2014?
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 12:53   #6
piotrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrasL View Post
Thank you for the replies.
Is there a list of offered engine choices and which are to be avoided / recommended?
VEA engines tend to have problems with EGR valve, and pre-2016 VEA engines are prone to increased oil consumption. There are extensive threads about these problems on this forum.

VIDA2014D can be updated up to 2018 for P3 cars:

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/v...3-cars.615611/
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 14:40   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

In case you are worried by excess oil consumption on pre 2016 VEA engines might I say that my 2012 D5 215 bhp D5244T15 engine has never had any oil added between its annual services when it has the entire sump drained and refilled. Oil consumption is the last thing that would have come to my mind regarding this engine.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 09:23   #8
AndrasL

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek View Post
VEA engines tend to have problems with EGR valve, and pre-2016 VEA engines are prone to increased oil consumption. There are extensive threads about these problems on this forum.

VIDA2014D can be updated up to 2018 for P3 cars:

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/v...3-cars.615611/
Great, thanks for the resources!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
In case you are worried by excess oil consumption on pre 2016 VEA engines might I say that my 2012 D5 215 bhp D5244T15 engine has never had any oil added between its annual services when it has the entire sump drained and refilled. Oil consumption is the last thing that would have come to my mind regarding this engine.
I am not really worried. It's just that in case of P1 cars, some french made engines are shunned. I simply want to avoid the more problematic ones. That said, I am looking at diesel engines, D4 or D5 probably.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 13:33   #9
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I hate stop/start, which my car was the last not to have and I'm happy about that but if I'd have had a later model there is an after market module to switch off the feature "permanently" which I'd fit.

Later cars have the camera based parking aid but I'm happy with the "diagram" with variable audible warnings as I prefer to look out of the windows and not at a screen.
Mine is a 2012 too. But start/stop was introduced that year, for cars with manual gear boxes. Your's must be an automatic, just like mine, or you would have it too.
We have two XC70. The other is a 2016 D4, which of course have start/stop. I find it to be good. There's no point in idling at a red light. If you see that you are in a situation where it will just stop, then immediately start again, then just steer slightly, and the function doesn't go active.

When doing maneouvers with a trailer it would be more difficult, but it's clever enough to disable itself then.

You had to add the rear camera for camera augmented parking assistance. It just adds to the standard cartoon style drawing. It doesn't replace it. The rear camera is a very good tool. We have it in both cars.
apersson850 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 18:21   #10
Bulleidboy

I have a late 2010 XC70 and consider it one of the best cars I've ever owned -barring my 3-litre Ford Cortina but that's another story. I have never added oil between annual servicing. I very recently, had the seatbelt recall dealt with, and also had a "free" software upgrade (not Polestar), and it appears to run better than ever. Highly recommend the XC70.