Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How much is my XC90 worth now...........

Views : 4208

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2015, 21:03   #11
volvo145
Premier Member

People seem to forget that they lose the VAT paid as soon as you've purchased the car.
Take that off then compare what you have lost.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo145 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2015, 21:25   #12
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
People seem to forget that they lose the VAT paid as soon as you've purchased the car.
Take that off then compare what you have lost.
Car prices do not work like that.

There are many examples of cars that sell for a premium used due to supply and demand.

The Porsche Macan is a recent example of a SUV that was selling for a big premium second hand when launched.

I expect to see XC90 values plummet.

They have been aimed at the fleet market with their 4 pots and hybrids, and don't seem as well built as a volvo should.

Volvo will be offering the same huge discounts they do on the XC60 within 12 months.
Old Dec 27th, 2015, 21:41   #13
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev78 View Post

There are many examples of cars that sell for a premium used due to supply and demand.

The Porsche Macan is a recent example of a SUV that was selling for a big premium second hand when launched.

They have been aimed at the fleet market with their 4 pots and hybrids, and don't seem as well built as a volvo should.

Volvo will be offering the same huge discounts they do on the XC60 within 12 months.
Im not talking about S/H vehicles im talking losing the vat on a new one.
A lot of people complain that they have lost money on a £20000 caravan when offered £15000 in the first few month but they have lost very little.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 00:31   #14
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:

But if you wait long enough you will be able to get more for it than was paid. Just look at the P1800 prices now.

Just depends on how you look at it and from what point in time. It's no secret that cars lose most value in the first 3 years, lose some more over the next 9 and then after about another 8 start to rise in value.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 00:36   #15
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

[QUOTE=Dutchbird;2032077]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Second hand the Volvo dealers are selling them for about £54k.
From my experience the loss is normally about £4k to £5k if you want to sell a top of the range premium brand early.

The dealer offered £46K ! - only if we buy an other Volvo from them! He will then sell the car for about £52-53K ,which is correct.
That means for the pleasure of driving for 5 months has cost us £12K

But if you know a dealer who will offer more, please do put us in contact !

If you read the Volvo Reevoo reviews for the XC90's you will find that a few have been already sold within weeks due to their dissapointment with a lost of between £8K and £10 K.

MY16 XC90 D5 P* Inscription & MY15 S60 D4 P* SE Lux Geartronic
It's driving it off the forecourt that initiates the depreciation I'm afraid.

You can try Caffyns Eastbourne, they gave me a good deal on the Range Rover. ( I lost £4k) More than the main Range Rover dealer offered (£5k loss) and a very healthy discount on my XC60. They did comment that the Land Rover dealership seemed to have a very high mark-up on their cars. They will be more limited with the XC90 I would guess as Volvo are not letting them discount the car yet. Costs nothing to ask though. They may have an issue with the modified rear end as well as they will have to fix that.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Dec 28th, 2015 at 00:45.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 01:20   #16
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
Im not talking about S/H vehicles im talking losing the vat on a new one.
A lot of people complain that they have lost money on a £20000 caravan when offered £15000 in the first few month but they have lost very little.
My point was that there are some cars you can buy new and instantly sell for a profit.

The macan was a good example at launch. Not sure about now, but I can guarantee it doesn't drop 20% when you drive it off the forecourt.

I see your point though.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 21:28   #17
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:

I believe you will be totally wrong in 12 months time.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 21:26   #18
GuidoBrunetti

Quote:

For most new car buyers nowadays all that matters is what their PCP deal works out at per month and a manufacturer can easily manipulate that by the interest rate they charge. They're not even particularly bothered whether the GMFV leaves them with any equity at the end. Real money has no real resonance these days.

As for whether the XC90 is as well built as it could/should be only time will tell. All I know is I would never buy a car in the first year after launch. No manufacturer can hope to test for everything and keep up with competitors who are rushing products to market. Remember, Apple has had serious issues with new iPhones over several generations: left handed users causing interference with phone performance and 6 Plus bendy screens - they fixed the issues and moved on to ever higher sales.
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 14:43   #19
Scherzo
XC90 59 D5 Executive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbird View Post
Curious ! Can not get any more disappointed with the car !

MY16 XC90 D5 P* Inscription & MY15 S60 D4 SE Lux Geartronic
And why are you so disappointed with the car?
Scherzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 15:26   #20
Dutchbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo View Post
And why are you so disappointed with the car?
To find the reason for being disappointment with the car please read our previous entries about our car.

We purchased the car after having three other new Volvo's in the last three years, two XC60's and S60. We had no trouble with them at all , we still have the S60 but P/E the other two for the XC90.

We do not feel that for a car costing nearly £58 K it is good value for the private buyer but
we can see the car being a good deal as a company car or via the PCP route. Which to us as private buyer devalues the alleged premium Volvo brand , it becomes more like an Audi or BMW reps car.

After this posting we will be looking for other cars but for the moment we will stay with the 90 or untill we find something special.

MY16 XC90 D5 P* Inscription & MY15 S60 D4 P* Se Lux Geartronic

Last edited by Dutchbird; Jan 4th, 2016 at 15:30.
Dutchbird is offline   Reply With Quote