Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Slow Starts and fuel filter location

Views : 956

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 09:46   #1
Element888

Arrow Slow Starts and fuel filter location

Good morning.
We recently bought S40 1.8 petrol model year 2008. I was wondering if there is external fuel filter underneath the car, as I could not locate one. Google says some models might not have one, and the one in fuel tank is together with fuel pump.
Also anyone on this or similar model engine has experienced slow starts and cranking and what was the solution.
Ours will not always start with first go and sometimes takes up to 10 sec to start. Sparks plugs been changed.
Many Thanks
Element888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 12:36   #2
MDS40

I don,t think Volvo fitted the fuel filter to UK versions.
I couldn't find one on my 2.4 S40 despite being sold one by ecp and the Haynes manual showing the location.
If anyone knows better please let me know.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 12:58   #3
volvopilot

I have a 1.8 petrol as well and I used to experience the same thing after I bought it. But first of all, are you experiencing slow start or slow crank? In the case of a slow crank I would suspect the battery and battery terminals.

if the crank is solid but it simply does not fire up, or it starts with very low revs (400rpm) it might have to do with a dirty throttle body and overall a dirty inlet manifold.

What I did to fix the problem was the following:
- replace the air filter
- clean airfilter housing
- clean throttle body
- wynns petrol cleaner

it does start every time on the first attempt now. If it does not work for you, you might want to clean the TMAP sensor as well which is located underneath the plastic inlet manifold. A little bit hard to reach, but you can find a good video on youtube how to locate and clean it. (search for: duratec HE TMAP)
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 13:59   #4
Vanndan

I had the same thing on my v50 2.0D, did all the cleaning of the throttle body egr valve etc but ended up being the starter motor in the end
Vanndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 17:38   #5
Element888

Thanks for great suggestions. The car is slow to start, it cranks fine, just slow. Air filter just recently replaced, same as battery. Throttle might need some cleaning
Element888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 18:23   #6
volvopilot

yes, focus on the throttle body + TMAP sensor cleaning and it will probably will start up fine again. You can disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes after cleaning to quickly relearn the ECU for idle values.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel filter, slow start, volvo s40 1.8