Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

supercharging...easy or not?

Views : 2623

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 07:28   #31
Claymore
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadinolin View Post
Now we are getting to the realms of what me and tt would like to know :-)

i wish to keep the car for small sentimental reasons, but would like performance upgrades that bolt on easy...i saw a supercharger online which is a set of fans on the air intake pipe with a cone filter type set-up...and does an extra 6 or so psi kill the engine sooner? I have AmD tuners down the road and the guys that map the F1 cars nearby too hehe
electric superchargers are a big con, there i no possible way that they can work.
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Claymore For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:16   #32
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBOLT View Post
I'm saying adding a supercharger to a high mileage n/a engine is not the best idea for many reasons.
If I was to spend 5k on a turbo kit for an MX5 I wouldn't be fitting it to a high mileage car. I would however expect increased component wear with the added extra stresses from adding a turbo to a car not designed for it. As for how long the engine would last that can vary infinitely.
I put a Turbo on our 1997 MX5 1.8 7 years ago and it has been super reliable.
I also added a Begi Fuel pressure regulator, Bipes ECU add on, intercooler, 2.5 inch stainless exhaust etc etc etc

Some very vaild points raised here about having uprated internals before adding forced induction.

What must be remembered with the MX5 engine is that it WAS DESIGNED and built as a forced induction unit from the outset and used in their 323 4 wheel drive, Turbo charged pocket rocket.
When the MX5 came out the Turbo was removed from this engine and the same engine slotted into the MX5, hence why you have an incredibly robust non stressed engine and upgrading that back to a Turbo is a very safe bet.

Fitting a Turbo to a high mileage STANDARD engine that was never designed to have a Turbo is a recipe for disaster.

Darryl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0663.jpg (238.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0523.jpg (269.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0795.JPG (208.8 KB, 5 views)

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:16   #33
FIREBOLT
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
I'v also put a supercharger on a NA fiat 20v, I don't think any NA will complain at 6psi boost
Well that would depend on the CFM the supercharger flows, 6 psi from an M45 is very different to an M90.
FIREBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 15:11   #34
Claymore
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBOLT View Post
Well that would depend on the CFM the supercharger flows, 6 psi from an M45 is very different to an M90.
Which is why I suggested an M45
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote