Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it just me or...?

Views : 1201

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:43   #1
calumscott

Default Is it just me or...?

...are Volvo main dealer prices actually quite reasonable by comparison to other marques?

First was the ISOFIX brackets for my new toy ('05 S60 D5) which came in at £44 for two brackets and two guides [which I noticed that many have said not to bother with but so far I've found them really quite dinky].

Three days in and I spotted the top engine mount had gone - should have picked it up before really - but searching online they appear to be about £50. Phoned Volvo on the off chance that they might be competative and they've come up with £55 inc VAT and they can get it in same day! (And they seem like jolly nice people to boot.)

Is this the norm with Volvo? So far, i'm quite impressed.
calumscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:51   #2
940Graeme
Premier Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.

On some things main dealers are good value. For example, I re did my crankcase ventilation (new oil separator, flame trap, O rings etc) for less than £35 from my local dealer.......

BUT......

New suspension ball joint.....dealer £40.13 +VAT, Braydon's £13.15 delivered!! Definately always worth checking with the dealers though, especially if you have a good local one with decent technical knowledge.

regards
Graeme.
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:32   #3
George Holmer
VOC Member

Indeed. Check all the places but don't assume that the dealers are the most expensive, in particular for the somewhat older cars.
George Holmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:56   #4
oldbob
bob

years and years ago I had a 240 and was told at the time by a volvo bod from head office that they had investigated a lot of volvo breakdowns on the side of the road and a significant amout were due to non volvo parts being fitted they then had a policy of ensuring that wearable bits oilfilters brake pads etc wear priced to be competertive with a major parts chain that shall remain nameless H ######DS
oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:10   #5
940Graeme
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbob View Post
years and years ago I had a 240 and was told at the time by a volvo bod from head office that they had investigated a lot of volvo breakdowns on the side of the road and a significant amout were due to non volvo parts being fitted they then had a policy of ensuring that wearable bits oilfilters brake pads etc wear priced to be competertive with a major parts chain that shall remain nameless H ######DS
Good point bob, there is the old adage, "Buy Well, Buy Once" and it is true that some "pattern" parts are truely awful compared to Original Equipment.

However, to use my example of the ball joint from above, is a volvo one, at 4 times the price, really going to last 4 times longer than the pattern one?

It must be a case of getting a range of prices and "taking a view" on which offers the best Value at the time, as well as simple price.

Graeme
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:20   #6
andy72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940Graeme View Post
Good point bob, there is the old adage, "Buy Well, Buy Once" and it is true that some "pattern" parts are truely awful compared to Original Equipment.

However, to use my example of the ball joint from above, is a volvo one, at 4 times the price, really going to last 4 times longer than the pattern one?

It must be a case of getting a range of prices and "taking a view" on which offers the best Value at the time, as well as simple price.

Graeme
The ball jont may quite well last 4 times as long.

I know ive bought pattern discs and pads before and had to replace them 12 months due to warping. Fitted some dealer kit to my old astra and the brakes felt better than the 'performance' pattern part!

I think if one company is selling something for £10 and another £40, youve got to ask yourself why is the lowest one so cheap.

PS... did a survey at a place up here in the north east that makes car chassis. While walking around i saw pallet loads of chassis parts and they all had different manufacturer stamps. Volvo and Honda were two that i saw. Which is intersting, as you woulnt think that volvo parts could be made in some random factory alngside say Honda parts would you?
andy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:48   #7
owyn
Premier Member

I think it depends on what you are buying.

My local dealer quoted me £50 for a new wing mirror glass, don't think so! and the plastic trim down the sides of the doors, £50 per door! I guess cost price will be in the region of 50p.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:49   #8
calumscott

Discs are something else - the quality of them, even OEM has degraded significantly over the years.

Ball joints and the like are usually not too bad - just keep an eye on the boots of the pattern ones, they tend to go quicker which in turn kills the joint (said he stating the bleeding obvious...).

Anyway, another little thing from my local dealer - I've just had a text to say that my engine mount has just arrived in stock! This is the kind of service that impresses me, I know it should be the standard we should expect but it's been so lacking from just about everywhere that it's really nice when you get that level...

...and its nice to be able to ramble on about good things and not rant about stuff that annoys!
calumscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:32   #9
940Graeme
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy72 View Post
The ball jont may quite well last 4 times as long.

I know ive bought pattern discs and pads before and had to replace them 12 months due to warping. Fitted some dealer kit to my old astra and the brakes felt better than the 'performance' pattern part!

I think if one company is selling something for £10 and another £40, youve got to ask yourself why is the lowest one so cheap.
I would agree with many "pattern" parts andy, you do have to be careful.

The ball joing, incidently, is made by Scantech of Sweden who I understand make parts for Volvo (and Saab), so one can assume that it is pretty close to OE. This, of course, does leave one to wonder how it is being sold for £10, when the dealer wants £40!!

I have to agree completely with the level of service from main dealers - my local one is brilliant, and so perhaps that is worth paying for.

Graeme
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:37   #10
andynutton
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940Graeme View Post
I would agree with many "pattern" parts andy, you do have to be careful.

The ball joing, incidently, is made by Scantech of Sweden who I understand make parts for Volvo (and Saab), so one can assume that it is pretty close to OE. This, of course, does leave one to wonder how it is being sold for £10, when the dealer wants £40!!

I have to agree completely with the level of service from main dealers - my local one is brilliant, and so perhaps that is worth paying for.

Graeme
Scantech are not a OE supplier to anyone let alone Volvo.

Scantech are infamous for the poor quality of their products i would avoid at all costs

Last edited by andynutton; Jun 23rd, 2011 at 12:42.
andynutton is offline   Reply With Quote