Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre puncture repair or replace on winter tyre

Views : 2297

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Repair or Replace
Repair 18 100.00%
Replace 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 13:55   #1
anotherv60
Master Member

Default Tyre puncture repair or replace on winter tyre

Hi All,

I've picked up a nail in the tyre (which has done about 2000 miles) so fairly new. Its caused a slow puncture ~ 10 days to go from 38 psi to 20 psi. With my local tyre centre closed today I thought I'd ask here first about repair vs replace.

My inclination is to replace the tyre from a safety point of view, but before I shell out upwards of £160 I'd like to know about tyre repair (is this temporary or can you consider it a fixed tyre?) Any tyre folk on here to advise?

Also just for comparison - the space saver is much smaller than the tyres its replacing - I'm assuming this is why there is the speed restriction on them but it just looks way to small IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-01-03 at 12.51.32.jpg (169.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg space saver.jpg (120.2 KB, 65 views)
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 14:03   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I would have no issue whatsoever having that professionally repaired provided of course that it fits the criteria of not being too close to the edge of the tyre.
The tyre depot will advise.

If you see how it is repaired with the tyre off the rim you will see that it will not fail under use.

SEE OFFER BELOW ON LINK👍

https://www.national.co.uk/download-...uncturerepair/

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jan 3rd, 2022 at 14:06.
S60D5-185 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 18:37   #3
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Another vote for a 'professional' repair. Over the years I have had two tyres repaired without any issue. As long as you don't leave it too long, but thats another story.

Might be worth a call to your local dealership as they offer free windscreen/puncture repairs, or at least they used to.
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 19:13   #4
Whippy
Premier Member

Repair, it's perfectly safe so long as it's in the tread.
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 19:20   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I have had a puncture on new winter tyres (nail also) and had them repaired with no issue whatsoever.

Winter tyres are structurally not different to normal tyres so there's no need to treat them any differently when it comes to repairs.

Tyre repairs are highly regulated - there is a British Standard as how to the tyre is inspected first and how the repair is done with a plug.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 09:47   #6
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
... - there is a British Standard as how to the tyre is inspected first and how the repair is done with a plug.
We are fortunate in the UK in this bit of motoring legislation, if it is repaired professionally then it should be taken off of the rim and a plug/patch fixed from the inside, I've lost count of the number of nail/screw punctures I've had repaired including on all sizes of trucks at work, when there has been issue with the safety of the repair, such as too close to the shoulder of the tyre, the garage refused to do it or said it needed to go away for a 'Major repair' which is when replacing the tyre becomes easier from a point of time and cost.
The 'issue' with tyre repairs is when they are not done properly and despite their availability on ebay and amazon the string type ones which are done from the outside of the tyre don't meet the standard, they work and in an emergency would be better than stuck in the middle of nowhere, but then for a nail in the tyre an aerosol can of sealant would do to get you home.

We've discussed the spacesaver tyres on here before and it does seem that they are generally smaller than the regular wheel but I think that picture does look like an extreme difference. Of course as we've noted before the spacesaver is also just to get you to the nearest garage not to carry on driving around on until it's convenient to get the regular tyre fixed.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 12:32   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

The screw is in the tread area so professional repair as described by DaveNP legal and acceptable. I’ve had a few like that during my motoring history. No problems.
The issue of those stupid space saver spares is a whole different subject. I hate them.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 14:44   #8
anotherv60
Master Member

Thanks for the posts. I decided to get it repaired today, took about 20 mins at national (They didn't realise it was a directional tyre and put it back on the wrong way - easy fix at a tyre place tho!)

Thanks for the voucher was very reasonable repair with that!
The Following User Says Thank You to anotherv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 16:15   #9
scbamber

Does the panel think that the diameter of the skinny spare in the OP's photo is nothing short of extraordinary? It would surely make driving even 10 miles to the nearest tyre depot a weird and truly hazardous experience. Is it even legal? As the vehicle is an XC, the lopsidedness will be even more pronounced than on a standard V40.

I looked at the (unused) skinny on my own car (2015 V60) which came with the car from the factory when specified as an optional extra. The diameter of the whole wheel and tyre is almost the same as the standard road wheels.

Out of interest I have just looked for offerings on the internet for a 2020 XC40. TMS Motor group, the Volvo dealers in the Midlands, offer the following 125/80/R18 which they say is the same equivalent to that specified and supplied for new cars from the factory. Link here

Q: was this spare really the one supplied by the Volvo dealer?!!

PS: for National to refit the OP's repaired tyre (the unidirectional one) the wrong way round almost beggars belief. National Clown Week is the first week in August not the first week of January

Last edited by scbamber; Jan 4th, 2022 at 16:39.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scbamber For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 17:02   #10
volvo again
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
took about 20 mins at national (They didn't realise it was a directional tyre and put it back on the wrong way - easy fix at a tyre place tho!)
...that says a lot for their "professionalism"...

Tags
puncture repair, space saver wheels