Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine fault light on after (nearly) running out of fuel

Views : 4246

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2018, 21:00   #21
WilBo

Ok, so the saga continues.

I changed the oil this morning, new filter, etc, so that the dpf doesn't just soot up again if it clears.

Tried to put it into regen mode using my mates snap-on diagnostic tool (which has the Volvo engine maintenance settings). It tried to start the regen but aborted with the following error message:

'conditions not correct or sequence error (0x22)'

The engine was at operating temperature and there was half a tank of diesel. I cleared the codes and tried it several times but no joy. I also tried going for a blast in 4th gear for 10 miles to try and burn at least some carbon off but that didn't seem to help.

So still in limp mode with the engine management light on. Still got the following codes:

2A30 Particulate filter blocked
2A40 particulate filter overloaded

I suspect that the latter one is stopping it from going into regen. A kind of 'get a new dpf you tight get!' type message.

Any ideas how else I can get the dpf hot enough to burn off the soot?

Also, someone said that they knew a few people that reported success using one of those fuel additives, but I can't remember the name.

Anyone know anyone who has had success with this?

I don't have Facebook so can't ask about Vida there and haven't had a post back in the Vida board on this forum. I think my mates snap on tool, should have worked though. So bit sure it would really help.

Cheers
WilBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 21:03   #22
WilBo

Sorry. I meant, I think it is the 2A30 code that is blocking the regen.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 23:08   #23
WilBo

Slight update.
I tried using an in tank DPF additive today to see if that helped any (Wynns - it is supposed to lower the temperature that the soot burns off and seems to have helped some people).

I went for a 30-40 mile drive to see if I could get the soot to burn off at all, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Still can't get the DPF to regen.

I'm thinking the DPF is basically blocked and that my options are:

1) take the DPF trap off and flush it through with cleaner and a jet wash;
2) take the DPF trap off, check it (to make sure it does look blocked ) and order a new one off ebay (ca. £200);
3) take it to a Halfords service centre (they do a DPF deep clean for £85).

Anyone had any experience of any of these options?

I'm assuming that Halfords basically just spray inside the trap with cleaner with something like the Liqui-Moly or Wurth stuff and then flush it through, etc. But if it cleans it up enough to force a regen that might keep me going at least.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 14:48   #24
WilBo

Just in case anyone has a similar problem and finds this thread.

In the end it seems that the problem was that the problem was that the EOLYS Fuel additive was empty and so the car could not regen on its own. Annoyingly, there was no code to say the additive tank was empty, but I did initially get a DTC to say that the additive module (ADM) had a faulty signal, which may have thrown things out.

I ordered some JLM PAT fluid and filled up the additive tank (it took nearly the whole 1L bottle to fill it up. I then took it to Halfords and got them to do a forced regen.

The car then drove fine for about 1,000 miles, but then it went into limp mode and I got the dreaded DPF full error code.

So I then decided to get a VIDA-DICE setup to see if I could find out what was going on and force a regen myself if needed.

After having a massive pain in the proverbial getting it to work (including getting a second hand Windows 7 Laptop) I managed to get it to work and forced a regen whilst also using some of the Wurth DPF cleaner spray sprayed straight into the temp sensor whole in the DPF.

This worked really well and car has been totally fine for another 3-4,000 miles or so.

However, just the other day the car went into limp mode and engine management light came on.

PLugged in VIDA and read the following two error codes:
ECM-2A30 Particulate trap - blocked
ECM-2A40 Particulate trap - signal too high

However, for some reason initiating a forced regen using VIDA failed (I followed all the instructions in VIDA) and a more detailed investigation seemed to show that the pressure readings coming form the sensor appear to be within the threshold, which seems strange.

Given the issue appears to be with the DPF, possibly the pressure sensor, and I need help with VIDA (and apparently nothing to do with nearly running out of fuel as suggested in the thread title here), I'm going to open up a new thread to see if anyone has any advice.

Anyway, hope some of this helps if anyone finds they have any similar problems.

Cheers,

Wil
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 14:56   #25
Petey80
Premier Member

I have the newer 1.6 and recently had a DPF Pressure Sensor fault

Here's my thread on it if it helps;

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=492

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=493

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=494

My fault hasn't returned yet, but at least I have all the parts needed to fix it when it does.
However, I feel I should maybe just fix it now as if the pressure sensor isn't working properly, the DPF might not regen when it should and eventually block up, then I will be screwed....

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:

Tags
c30, diesel, dpf, dtc, engine management light